To the Glasply guys out there: Why do you like em so much??

el toro

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys,

There is a 1977 Glasply for sale on craigslist that has caught my eye, so I started doing a little homework. It seems Glasply owners are fairly fanatical about there boats. I read many times guys saying they were very good boats and what I'm wondering is: in what way?
Is it the way they are built? or the design of the hull? or how it handles rough water? Maybe all of the above?? I read one thing saying they are less prone to rot than other boats, ...why?

What makes Glasply's so good???

Cheers!

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: To the Glasply guys out there: Why do you like em so much??

I think you can be finatical about any boat or thing for that matter..I was about my SeaRay until I moved and it sits outside now...Not good on a fiber/wood composite boat..No matter if its covered or not...Weather is not nice! ...Never heard of a Glasply :) ...What does that name mean anyway (fiberglass/plywood????)

Pete

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The Glasply were a decent build and people just like them. Kind of rare now and unless it is a real steal in good shape....... I would think twice on a 1977 boat. I would really have to be in love with a (fiberglass) boat that old.

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess mines within the fiberglass age limit ('87)

Pete

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It was a good design when it first came out and many have copied it over the years. As other boat companies started targeting the family ski boat market, GP kept the more basic fishing platform (they did make a few ski boats though). Their boats tended to be a little heavier than other boats, but they still had some rot issues.

GP was started up again about 14 years ago, they went for a larger boat also this time. The design was good, but it just never really got going, a few boats were built but they went away after a couple of years. Boats made during this time used no wood.

The price of old GPs tends to be high, I'm not sure why other than good marketing and design from decades ago, there are much better designs now. I had a 19' with a cabin, never put it in the water though, it was something I picked up as a project and never touched, sold it a year or so later.

You can find these boats for sale all the time, many have been totally redone and maintained with great care, others have been sitting in field for years, but they still have value. If I was looking for another project a GP would be a good platform to start with.

sharkmtn1

Cadet

Guys aren't the only ones who are Glasply fanatics. I own a 76' Glasply, Sharkbait, and she and I are rare beauties!!