Needing carpet for boat trailer skid 2/4s? Anybody?

Truefire

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys i was wondering if any of you guys had some leftover carpet to cover the wooden 2x4 runners on a boat trailer, that you would be willing to sell. I need enough to cover two- 2x4s approximately 6.5' long. They are lying flat so please take this into mind for any considerations you might have.

I just hate to pay such astronomical prices for such a short piece of carpet, offered by various retail outlets.

Thanks so much guys, Chris

EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:

lingcod

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Needing carpet for boat trailer skid 2/4s? Anybody?

check with your local owner operated carpet installers. they would probably have some leftover scraps to give to you.

lingcod

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Lowes/HD indoor outdoor carpet. CHEAP

Although I gotta admit, I did buy this for mine http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/CES-11330/ yeah I know it's pricey for what it is but $20 ain't bad and it's the exact right size for a 2x4.

Truefire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys i was actually trying to get my hands on some scrap like the type that ezmobee suggested here. Yeah i know only 20.00 but heck i thought someone might have some lying around their shop, possibly in their way, that they would be willing to part with for a deal.

Ezmobee i do appreciate the link none-the-less, it's just with all the many routes my monies take, WOW!!, i sometime just don't have some leftover for the many other needs, wants, needs... and so on.

So i was fishing around if you will> you know?

Thats all. But thanks anyway.

Some label it a cheap skate, or whatever they wish to label it perhaps, let them LABEL is all i can say. (laughing) thanks guys

Chris

Truefire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys i was actually trying to get my hands on some scrap like the type that ezmobee suggested here. Yeah i know only 20.00 but heck i thought someone might have some lying around their shop, possibly in their way, that they would be willing to part with for a deal.

Ezmobee i do appreciate the link none-the-less, it's just with all the many routes my monies take, WOW!!, i sometime just don't have some leftover for the many other needs, wants, needs... and so on.

So i was fishing around if you will> you know?

Thats all. But thanks anyway.

Some label it a cheap skate, or whatever they wish to label it perhaps, let them LABEL is all i can say. (laughing) thanks guys

Chris

In the meanwhile all of you guys check your shop thorougly for any leftovers--just joking--you gotta admit that is funny. (laughing)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

shipping will cost you more and a strip of carpet at HD or Lowes.

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm sure you can get a roll of bunk carpet right on iboats.

bananaboater

Ensign

I raided ny local carpet installer's dumpster with permission. Got just what I needed free.

Ironpig

Seaman

Bass Pro has this stuff in stock for different kinds of bunks. 15 bucks but free is alwys better.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Lowes/HD indoor outdoor carpet. CHEAP

I re-did all 4 bunks on mine using carpet from Lowes. worked great, and was pretty cheap too. plus, its the outdoor carpet with the rubber backing, for whatever that is worth. just make sure you glue it down and staple it, it comes out much much nicer and thats how the factory setups do it.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

I just did the bunks on a friends trailer today. The bunks were 2"X6"X10' and the carpet cost $12 buck plus tax. To me that's almost free and I picked the carpet up at Lowe's as mentioned from several.
Bob

Truefire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I re-did all 4 bunks on mine using carpet from Lowes. worked great, and was pretty cheap too. plus, its the outdoor carpet with the rubber backing, for whatever that is worth. just make sure you glue it down and staple it, it comes out much much nicer and thats how the factory setups do it.

Thanks buddy, i greatly appreciate that, heck i wasn't really sure Lowes even sold this type of carpet that i was inquiring about.

Most all other specialty accessories and apparatus one has to obtain such online because most of the time the big chain stores don't carry the specialty items. One reason i didn't really give much thought about Lowes but it sounds like they have what i am looking. T

Off to Lowes in a day or two to retrieve some.

Do you guys have any special types of glue that you would recommend for the application of this carpet onto wooden bunkers. I will staple the carpet securely but just curious to know what type of glue would be superb for this type of application.

Thanks, Chris

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

No glue necessary.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks buddy, i greatly appreciate that, heck i wasn't really sure Lowes even sold this type of carpet that i was inquiring about.

Most all other specialty accessories and apparatus one has to obtain such online because most of the time the big chain stores don't carry the specialty items. One reason i didn't really give much thought about Lowes but it sounds like they have what i am looking. T

Off to Lowes in a day or two to retrieve some.

Do you guys have any special types of glue that you would recommend for the application of this carpet onto wooden bunkers. I will staple the carpet securely but just curious to know what type of glue would be superb for this type of application.

Thanks, Chris

I used aerosol upholstery glue. It doesnt take much, you just want it to prevent wrinkles/sliding around, etc on the face of the bunk. the water and the weight of the boat seem to keep mine good so far. when the boat is off the trailer the carpet is snug and tight everywhere. LOTS of quality staples too, btw lol.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

I just used exterior grade liquid nails. I did mine several months ago and they haven't even started to come loose. If they do I'll just shoot them with SS staples.
Bob