VIP Vindicator Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dzrtcj7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I picked up a great deal on a 1989 VIP Vindicator 1900. There is not much information around on the 25th Anniversary boats, so I figured I would chronicle my restoration process. I'll post up information I learn and show what I'm doing as time and money allow.

For overall condition, the hull is very heavily oxidized, most of the vinyl interior is sun damaged to the point of falling apart, the engine and outdrive appear to recently rebuilt with very low hours.

I'm starting with trying to bring back the sun damaged hull without having to resort to painting. Having never wet sanded on gelcoat, I took some time to figure exactly what I was going to need to do to try and get the hull looking better. I have never seen oxidation this bad. It was questionable whether it was restorable or just needed to be painted.

Here are some poor pictures of what I started with, but you can get the idea. It was really ugly. It has sat on the trailer so long the reflection from the diamond place step pads on the fenders of the trailer had bleached the hull completely white.

vip01.jpg

vip02.jpg

I did a few test spots to see what it was going to take to get through the oxidation. I found that 1000 grit paper did a great job of knocking off the oxidation, but realized the gelcoat underneath was discolored to an ugly pink/ orange color. Stepping down grit by grit, I ended up at 400 grit to cut through the discolored gelcoat. With paper that rough it meant I was in for a LOT of sanding!

Here is a pic after the first cut with 400 grit. The boat is completely wetted down and you can see the original color is coming back.

vip03.jpg

In this picture you can see where I got the bow half and the side of the hull sanded with 400 grit and the rest is still oxidized.

vip05.JPG

Another sanded down with 400 grit and ready to start working my way back up.

vip04.jpg

Once it was completely sanded down to 400 grit, I started stepping back up. Carefully wet sanding with 600, 800 and 1000 grit paper. Then buffing with a commercial buffer with heavy cut polishing compound.

My first attempt, once I buffed the hull I realized I hadn't spent near enough time working with the finer grit papers to get all the sanding scratch marks out. The red gelcoat shows everything! So, back to 400 grit, then taking LOTS more time working my way through the finer grits.

Here are the results-

vip06.jpg

There a couple of inconspicuous spots that still have some sanding scratches, but the bulk came out very, very nice!

Next is to cut it one more time with the heavy cut compound, then buff with swirl mark remover, I'll hand rub it with a red tinted filler wax, then top it with a couple coats of carnuba wax.

I'll post some more pics as I get it complete.

Dzrtcj7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: VIP Vindicator Restoration

I have managed to get it on the water to do some test and tuning! Even though it is February I HAD to get it out and play. I love the power of the mildly built 302 and the boat handles great. I need to go to a higher pitch prop and have a few carb tuning issues to work through. But all in all, the drive train is perfect.

vipfeb.jpg

vipfeb02.jpg

vipfeb03.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

welcome to i boats !

thats a lot of work....but well worth it.
its really hard to get wet sanding marks out...
i dry sand all the way to 1600 to avoid wet!.....but yours looks great !

cheers
oops

Caravandaddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dude, You're nuts boating in February. I love it! It's like 35 degrees here.

Like the sanding and buffing job. Looks good.

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very nice looking boat Dzrtcj7. I have the 25 anniversary VIP Vision. I guess it's classified as 1750. It quite closer to 18'. I'm in the middle of re & re as well as a 350 install. After seeing your photos it gets me stoked.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

great looking boat, nice job on the sanding! Looks like your patience paid off!

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

great looking boat, I like the look of the VIP's, you did a great job on the sanding, pictures lok awesome.

Dzrtcj7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you guys! All the sanding is definitely paying off. Now that we are getting some decent weather I should have it all buffed out next weekend!

Once the hull is done I think I'm going to tackle reupholstering a few interior parts myself. I'll get some "before" interior pictures soon. Factory interior color was all red vinyl with grey carpet. I think I'm going to change over to either bright white with red accents and grey carpet or light tan with a few red accents. Any thoughts on that?

I'm ordering a prop on Monday. Current 15x17 blows well past the desired 4700 rpm's. I'm debating between a 21p and 23p. I'm leaning toward the 21p right now to be safe and establish a baseline. Any opinions on which prop to run?

Dzrtcj7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Very nice looking boat Dzrtcj7. I have the 25 anniversary VIP Vision. I guess it's classified as 1750. It quite closer to 18'. I'm in the middle of re & re as well as a 350 install. After seeing your photos it gets me stoked.

Thank you. Your boat is going to rip with a 350 in it! I'll be following your thread to see how it turns out.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would go with the 21 pitch prop. As far as interior the white will be much cooler in the hot sun. the only problem would be staining and the light tan would look good also.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I picked up a great deal on a 1989 VIP Vindicator 1900. There is not much information around on the 25th Anniversary boats, so I figured I would chronicle my restoration process. I'll post up information I learn and show what I'm doing as time and money allow.

For overall condition, the hull is very heavily oxidized, most of the vinyl interior is sun damaged to the point of falling apart, the engine and outdrive appear to recently rebuilt with very low hours.

I'm starting with trying to bring back the sun damaged hull without having to resort to painting. Having never wet sanded on gelcoat, I took some time to figure exactly what I was going to need to do to try and get the hull looking better. I have never seen oxidation this bad. It was questionable whether it was restorable or just needed to be painted.

Here are some poor pictures of what I started with, but you can get the idea. It was really ugly. It has sat on the trailer so long the reflection from the diamond place step pads on the fenders of the trailer had bleached the hull completely white.

vip01.jpg

vip02.jpg

I did a few test spots to see what it was going to take to get through the oxidation. I found that 1000 grit paper did a great job of knocking off the oxidation, but realized the gelcoat underneath was discolored to an ugly pink/ orange color. Stepping down grit by grit, I ended up at 400 grit to cut through the discolored gelcoat. With paper that rough it meant I was in for a LOT of sanding!

Here is a pic after the first cut with 400 grit. The boat is completely wetted down and you can see the original color is coming back.

vip03.jpg

In this picture you can see where I got the bow half and the side of the hull sanded with 400 grit and the rest is still oxidized.

vip05.JPG

Another sanded down with 400 grit and ready to start working my way back up.

vip04.jpg

Once it was completely sanded down to 400 grit, I started stepping back up. Carefully wet sanding with 600, 800 and 1000 grit paper. Then buffing with a commercial buffer with heavy cut polishing compound.

My first attempt, once I buffed the hull I realized I hadn't spent near enough time working with the finer grit papers to get all the sanding scratch marks out. The red gelcoat shows everything! So, back to 400 grit, then taking LOTS more time working my way through the finer grits.

Here are the results-

vip06.jpg

There a couple of inconspicuous spots that still have some sanding scratches, but the bulk came out very, very nice!

Next is to cut it one more time with the heavy cut compound, then buff with swirl mark remover, I'll hand rub it with a red tinted filler wax, then top it with a couple coats of carnuba wax.

I'll post some more pics as I get it complete.

Wow..I'm really impressed..looks like a totally different boat. What type of polishing pad were you using after the sand paper? Foam or wool? What type of compound?

Friscoboater

Captain

That is one sweet boat. Nice work my friend. Does it get below freezing there?

Dzrtcj7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow..I'm really impressed..looks like a totally different boat. What type of polishing pad were you using after the sand paper? Foam or wool? What type of compound?

Thanks you! I'm using a foam polishing pad and Meguires "Heavy Cut" polishing compound. I just switched to "Diamond Cut" compound and it is doing a fine job as well. I will probably switch to a wool pad when I step up to the swirl mark remover.

Dzrtcj7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is one sweet boat. Nice work my friend. Does it get below freezing there?

Thank you. Ya, it definitely gets below freezing! I've been waiting for the frost to melt off in the mornings before I start sanding! We've had a streak this last week that has been the 50's, which is really nice for right now.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks you! I'm using a foam polishing pad and Meguires "Heavy Cut" polishing compound. I just switched to "Diamond Cut" compound and it is doing a fine job as well. I will probably switch to a wool pad when I step up to the swirl mark remover.

Ok, I wasn't sure what the foam did differently from the wool. Foam is more for cutting and getting the shine back and the wool cleans up swirl marks?

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm, I've always finished with foam. :rolleyes:

Dzrtcj7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hmmm, I've always finished with foam. :rolleyes:

Spinnaker, I think you are correct. Typically wool is used for cutting and foam for finishing. I like the foam pad doing the intial cut because I can work it around body lines and hardware and keep pretty tight. After cutting and swirl mark remover using the big buffer, I'll go to my orbital buffer with terry cloth bonnets for the filler wax, then do the final waxing by hand.

Good reading here that explains a lot: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/301656-post.html

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome link. Great resource for the newbie.

Dzrtcj7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm FINALLY almost completely done with the first round of cutting compound. It's coming out even better than expected.

I should have some pictures of it completely buffed out and in the water next weekend!! New prop shows up this week, so I'll have to get out and do some testing :)

Here's a teaser: (that is not wet, btw)

bow.jpg

Comparison:

vip05.JPG

Here's a motivational picture ... got on the water this weekend on a friends boat .... sunny and 65, in February!!:

feb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.