fiber glass paint work help

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys.
So i have a 1988 Glasstream 152 Tempest Bowrider Eng.Mercruiser 4cyl. 2.5L
120HP.

I had kept in in the water for 2 months towards the end of the summer then pulled it out in November 09 straight for outdoor storage and ofcourse winterizing it. when i got it out it was really dirty as expected with all the green algae growing. i didnt have proper resources to clean it up to look good.
now when i went to see the boat it looks like it will be a really tough job to clean that to get it restored back to shine. can anyone recommend me some less costly products that i can use to get this back to shine

also i was perhaps thinking of even painting the bottom hull part where its white color...(see picture)..this pictures were before i stored it in the water so it looks nice and clean but currently there are green residues

there are some stress cracks and also some chips here and there at the back...
what would be the best approach in this case? do you think painting is east enough and quick to get it looking good for the summer time.

Attachments

• attaching canvas.jpg
    attaching canvas.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 0
  • back view of boat.jpg
    back view of boat.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG0017A.jpg
    IMG0017A.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: fiber glass paint work help

hi ....welcome to i boats....

every question about boats ever asked has been discussed in great detail on these forums.....including crazing...(gellcoat cracks).

the algae on your boat can be removed with industrial toilet bowl cleaner....(go to the janitorial suply shops)....this is called an acid wash.

after the boat is acid washed ..... then we can see about bottom paint and repairing the crazing.

in my boat shop....all boats to be cleaned start with an acid wash.

cheers
oops

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class

nice i will go buy some acid wash then and scrub it.
would you advice to use a power wash machine or just using a brush and doing it by hand is enough?

also can you advice bottom paint and what type of paints i should be using for a fiberglass boat like this one.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class

^ thanks for that..looks like a decent product. I will try to acid wash it first then see how that goes.

Can anyone comment on if i want to do just a paint job on it..mainly the white part but also if i want to touch the black paint up a little. what kinds of paints am i looking for and do i need to do anything special before painting it.

thanks

Juniinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

The "works" from Ace hardware is the best,,,
Do not drop it on a galvanized trailer!

Bondo

Staff member

Can anyone comment on if i want to do just a paint job on it..mainly the white part but also if i want to touch the black paint up a little. what kinds of paints am i looking for and do i need to do anything special before painting it.

Ayuh,... The Black appears to be the original Gelcoat, which can be touched up with more Gelcoat...
If you want to paint the lower white portion of the hull,...
Being a trailer boat, I'd scuff it up/ sand it smooth,+ paint it with Rustoleum in the color of your choice...

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,... The Black appears to be the original Gelcoat, which can be touched up with more Gelcoat...
If you want to paint the lower white portion of the hull,...
Being a trailer boat, I'd scuff it up/ sand it smooth,+ paint it with Rustoleum in the color of your choice...

What if i plan to keep the boat in the water for the summer time? is there a different paint i need to get for it.

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class

still lost without an answer
sucks to be a newbie

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

still lost without an answer
sucks to be a newbie

Have you tried buffing out the black Gel Coat? A heavy duty compound might help bring it back. I've used a few 3m products and they work really well.

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you tried buffing out the black Gel Coat? A heavy duty compound might help bring it back. I've used a few 3m products and they work really well.

Haven't tried this yet. weather is below zero or close to that here. sucks but i cant wait to get to work on cleaning this boat then to decide if it needs some paint work