Anchor Winch Mounting Quandry

rucaradio

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Greetings iBoaters!

This forum was an invaluable resource last year when I did stringers, transom, and the floor in my 1989 Raven 195cc. Although we've got 14 inches of snow on the ground here in Ohio, March is setting up to be "boat improvement month" for me. I hope to be on the water casting my lures by April-ish.

Among various motor parts, a new gauge cluster, and some interior comforts, one of my most exciting purchases (to me at least) is an anchor winch.

It was a major PITA last year to retrieve the anchor since I've got a cuddy, so I sucked it up and dumped $170 on a winch pre spooled with 100' of nylon line.

Now for my modification planning quandry - as you'll see in the pictures below my top cap isn't necessarily suited for a winch motor and roller (the winch I bought is 2 separate pieces - motor and roller respectively).

I've investigated a bow pulpit, and I just don't think I've got enough upper deck space to 1) mount it properly, and 2) clear the trailer upon unloading the boat at the ramp.

The "pulpit builder" I met with seemed to think I could get away with just an "extended" roller which I could bolt (with the help of a leveling box) to the tip of the bow.

I'm thinking about building a box of sorts that would begin upward on the bow and extend to the tip. I could mount the motor up toward the helm and the roller at the very end. If I do this, how would you suggest it be done? Wood? Wood covered in glass? And how should I attach it properly to the top cap? Obviously the structure must be weight distributing as to not rip a gigantic hole in my cap.

Has anyone ever ran into this issue before? What can be done to overcome my funky, non-anchor-winch-accepting bow? Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks much in advance!
-RR

Attachments

• BOW1.jpg
    BOW1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 0
  • BOW2.jpg
    BOW2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 0