1985 glasstream bass boat restore

quantumman29

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello everyone,
I just purchased a 1985 glasstream bass boat with a inline mercury 115 on the back
heres pix of what she looked like when I purchased it,I'll show pix of the entire restore process all the way up to the clear coat and trailer paint.

Attachments

• boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 1

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1985 glasstream bass boat restore

Looks like a fun project. To post full-size pics here get yourself a photobucket account and use link codes that they provide you with-just be sure the pics are 640x480.
Good luck and dont be afraid to ask questions!

quantumman29

Petty Officer 2nd Class

where do i get this photo buckett account?

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Go to photobucket.com and sign up for free!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey quantumman29,
Welcome to Iboats,
I think we have the only two GlasStreams currently on Iboats.
Mine isn't a bass boat however.
I will be looking forward to seeing more of you progress.
Bob

quantumman29

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hello all,
thanks bob for the info on gettin me a photobuckett account,
if I did this right heres a link to more pix of the boat as she was when I bought her last saturday.

http://s865.photobucket.com/albums/ab219/quantumman29/
I need a cable for my digital camera so i can take more pix and transfer them to my laptop,I dropped the internet access off my cell phone carrier thus makin it tough for me to transfer pix to the laptop,but once im hooked up the pix will be flyin in by the "BOAT LOADS"
THIS BABY IS GONNA LOOK BRAND NEW WHEN SHES DONE.......

quantumman29

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when and if the weather ever changes here in northeast florida I will begin wet sanding the gelcoat off the boat,the color is in good shape,im going to be adding plywood on the deck in some spots after i repair the fiberglass,overall this boat is in remarkable shape considering its age and its previous owner didnt know boat covers were developed some 200 years ago or so......
I know nothing about the mercury tower of power on the boat as ive owned 1994 and newer boat motors so if anyone has any info on this merc 115 i'd appreciate some knowledge about it,its a 1985 merc 115
I have a receipt from the mechanic who always worked on the engine,the receipt claims that the cylinders are all turning at 110 of compression,its got new carburetor,its been timed 10/22/09 is the receipt date.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

quantumman29,
I'm not sure about your computer, camera or phone but most phones you can use a micro SD card and use it to transfer to your computer. I take pic's with my phone and then pull the SD card out and put it into my laptop directly.
I looked at your photo bucket and I like your boat, should have a lot of years of fun with it.
Good luck
Bob

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Quantum-
You can also post in-line photos of the boat here in your thread. Just click on the pic you would like to insert, then click 'get link code' then copy and paste the 'forum' code for full-size pics.

quantumman29

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks bob,for looking at my buckett pix,flipper im gonna just go buy the little cable i need for my digital camera nad then transfer the pix to my laptop,i'll try to load pix into my topic like you stated but if i can i'll just use photobuckett, im actually losing patience waitin for a nice day to begin workin on her,I get fridays off at work but its gonna rain friday so i'll work friday and take saturday as my boat workin day.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Quantum-
You can also post in-line photos of the boat here in your thread. Just click on the pic you would like to insert, then click 'get link code' then copy and paste the 'forum' code for full-size pics.

Please resize to 640x480 before posting your photos in-line.

Nice boat. Should haul butt with that tower 'o power.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Please resize to 640x480 before posting your photos in-line.

Nice boat. Should haul butt with that tower 'o power.

My apology for not mentioning to resize to 640x480.
(mods tend to get bent out of shape on photos larger than that:p)
Its for good reason though. nobody wants to sit waiting on pics to download especially if they have dial-up:eek:

quantumman29

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will resize the pix but most likely I will just use photobuckett,that seems to work well...
thanks for all the input.....

quantumman29

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I figured out how to upload pix into the message,
all the carpet and compartment doors have been removed from the boat already,all the chrome,the next pix will show the bare boat and the fiberglass repair process and the wet sanding process...
mike

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 0
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 0
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 0
  • boat5.jpg
    boat5.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 0

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

This should be one sweet looking fishing boat by the time you are finished.:)

quantumman29

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I removed the last 2 storage compartment lids from the boat now,all the carpet is out,
I vacuumed all the gook from the boat and began the titius task of wet sanding the gel coat,I actually opted to begin wet sanding with 220 grit,im sure I could've gotten away with 180 to cut the gel much quicker,i'll hit it again in the morning til my arms hurt again then most likely go get some 180 grit,
i'll take some pix in the morning and post them as well.....
mike

quantumman29

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hello everyone,heres updates of the 1985 glasstream bass boat,as you can see the gel coat is baddly oxidized but after wet sanding for about 4 hours now I am confident that this boat and its original paint will shine like a diamond once im done clear coating her...
its pretty tough sanding through the old gel coat but the results will be awsome.
mike

Attachments

• CRIM0001.JPG
    CRIM0001.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 0
  • CRIM0002.JPG
    CRIM0002.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 0
  • CRIM0003.JPG
    CRIM0003.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 0
  • CRIM0004.JPG
    CRIM0004.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CRIM0005.JPG
    CRIM0005.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 0

quantumman29

Petty Officer 2nd Class

heres a few more pix of this old baby....remarkably the boat dosent have much rot except for around the front pedestol seat and under the drivers side cockpit,im going to be adding plywood to the cockpit area for more stabilization and to make the carpeting look better.
BELIEVE THIS OR NOT GUYS.....my wife wants me to make no CHEAP decisions with the restore,I want to buy 65$ bass seats she wants 500$ high back leather seats like the new tritons and other 60 grand boats....
she even talked me into a 82lb thrust minn kota where I was settling for a 50 lb thrust.
this was a woman who was pissed when she knew i was buying it.....hee heee
mike

Attachments

• CRIM0006.JPG
    CRIM0006.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CRIM0007.JPG
    CRIM0007.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CRIM0008.JPG
    CRIM0008.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 0
  • CRIM0009.JPG
    CRIM0009.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 0

BobsGlasstream

Commander

quantumman29,
Never argue with the wife. Especially when it's in your favor.
Looks like the boat is coming along nicely. Make sure you check everything out good. Don't want to have to go back in a year or two.
Good luck.
Bob

quantumman29

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I certainly wont argue with her but after all,the boat is 25 years old and im going to be using it for what it was made for and thats bass fishing and some tournaments as well,I dont need to dump alot of money into such an old boat,i dont know that much about glasstreams,ive owned stratos and nitro bass boats,this boat is in exceptional shape for the year though,im quite impressed.its gonna look awsome once im done with her....
mike