1984 Ski Supreme Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

iqxoqlms

Seaman
Newbie here - and I already feel at home! This site is incredible!!

I ran into a "good deal" on an old inboard ski boat and it got my juices flowing...so I started researching. I learned that Ski Supremes were not the best built ski boats back in the 80's but that they ran and handled well. I was warned that the quality of the glass work on the stringers and floors was suspect during this era - so I proceeded with caution. I looked the boat over on two occasions and made an offer - which was quickly accepted. I picked the boat up and towed it home (6 miles) to my heated garage. Then the fun began...

SkiSupreme002.jpg

SkiSupreme001.jpg

The seller is a friend of a friend so I took him at his word on a few things. I checked other things out and felt I undstood the shortcomings of the boat pretty well. She'd need some work to be solid - but how much work I hadn't imagined. I originally checked for rot in the deck and stringers...while the boat sat in an unheated garage. They were frozen - AND ROTTEN. I didn't realize the extent of the damage until I got the boat home, thawed and taken apart to a fair degree. The more I looked at it the more I didn't like what I saw.

The original floor had started to fail at some point so a PO had screwed untreated plywood over the top and gluied down new carpet. Below this, the stringers were failing. New cross members had been added (using nails and deck screws). The main stringers were mush - the largest intact piece of what resembled wood I got out of two 12' lenghts of stringer was about 3'. Most came out in chips or resembling potting soil. Foam in the hull was water-logged. Water was trapped in the cavities outboard of the starboard stringer. The only passage for water through to the bilge was at the transom and would have only happened with the boat under way. Yuck!

I have two weeks into the project and have two new Douglas Fir stringers cut and sitting in place. Obviously the entire interior, deck, engine and old stringers have been stripped out. My order is on its way from US Composites and I am eager to begin the rebuild. I have spent at least 30 hours on this site researching how to go about various aspects of the project as I have never done anything like this with a water-going vessel. I have built cars, Jeeps and snowmobiles, but never a fiberglass ski boat.

I intend to update the thread as things progress - and I will try to learn how to instert images into the text of upcoming posts. I am all jazzed up about this - it is kind of like re-building an old ratty muscle car!

Attachments

• Ski Supreme 018.jpg
    Ski Supreme 018.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Ski Supreme 016.jpg
    Ski Supreme 016.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Ski Supreme 017.jpg
    Ski Supreme 017.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 1984 Ski Supreme Restoration

Looks like you have a nice project, I'm looking forward to your post. You can upload your photo's to photobucket, then link them directly in your post. 640x480 is the largest photo you can post. You can resize them in photobucket before you link them. Good luck with the project!

iqxoqlms

Seaman

Let's try this as a picture insertion test...

Here is a picture of the first night - as we are discovering the problems.

SkiSupreme003.jpg

iqxoqlms

Seaman

Bamafan: Thanks for the link. That is very similar. I scanned the thread quickly - hope mine turns out as well.

Updates:

New stringers have been fabbed and set in place.
SkiSupreme043.jpg

SkiSupreme044.jpg

I pulled them back out in preparation for the first coat of epoxy.

Then we began pulling all the teak off the boat. It has been varnished or epoxy sealed. We will strip it, sand and oil - then reinstall. The swim platform on the boat is really good looking (all teak) - so we pulled it off to refinish. Then the next suprised popped up. The transom is rotted at the swim platform mount points and around one exhaust hole. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
SkiSupreme045.jpg

SkiSupreme046.jpg

Well, we're cutting plywood, mixing epoxy resin and laying up glass anyway - why not do some more!

I am still enjoying this. My wife - not so much.

Friscoboater

Captain

This is going to be a good thread. Keep up the good work man. I love those old ski boats and i cannot wait to see yours done.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oh my, I am in heaven.... We don't get many inboard ski boat restores on here. Post tons of pictures as my next restore will be an 86-89 Supra.

salty87

Commander

at least you can get it done without taking the cap off. looks like you're not wasting any time either. :)

system f is right, not enough inboard projects here.

i've got some pics of my supra rebuild here... http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=2871&highlight=saltare+rebuild

system f....which model supra are you thinking about?? there are several documented rebuilds and a couple of in-progress rebuilds on the supra website.

edit...trying to get link to work

Friscoboater

Captain

I cannot get that link to work. I would love to see your boat.

I think reason that we do not see many inboard ski boats on here is because they get neglected more often. they seem to be purchased by younger more wealth people that run it until it breaks and then just let it sit. I was at Cedar Creek lake installing a audio system last week, and the guy had a '99 Nautique there they had been sitting in the sun and rain for over 6 years. He said that he was having an ignition problem and so he just went out and got a new Fourwinns that was bigger.

salty87

Commander

link above should work now

guy had a '99 Nautique there they had been sitting in the sun and rain for over 6 years. He said that he was having an ignition problem and so he just went out and got a new Fourwinns that was bigger.

that's sad, what a waste.

iqxoqlms

Seaman

Salty:

Nice job! Every time I look through a thread like that I get at least one idea for how to better do my resto.

I considered a 1986 Supra but it was not what I wanted - too big for my lake, boathouse, purpose. But they are cool boats!

I only worked on the Supreme for a small time last night. Spent more time cleaning the garage in preparation for the glass work to begin on the stringers.

Mark

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have seen yours salty amd boy is it a nice boat!. I frequent the Supra forums. At the Dallas boat show I had a chance to speak with one of the guys that builds supra/moombas...very nice boats.

iqxoqlms

Seaman

I am back with an update on the progress. (It is the height of snowmobile season here in Wisconsin so my passion for that is conflicting with the build)

I picked up my deck plywood, interior plywood and two sheets of high density pink foam board. I also got my materials from US Composites on Friday - so I am ready to begin building rather than tearing things apart. The Douglas Fir stringers have been cut and waiting for epoxy. Last night, since we were going to be applying epoxy, I decided that I would cut the new backing boards for the upholstery pieces that were rotted...and they were!

SkiSupreme050.jpg

SkiSupreme049.jpg

We also cut pieces of Doug Fir for the cross members and ply for the transom repairs. Once this was done we coated everything with epoxy (my first time doing glass work).

SkiSupreme053.jpg

It was not as difficult as I anticipated. The set up time for the resin was manageable...I feared that I'd be dealing with hardening resin in the tub. Actually, I think the epoxy is curing slower than it should. I am working in a heated garage and have the heat at 70. The actual temp at the floor is likely 15 degrees cooler. I am using a thin epoxy with a medium hardener. I finished at 10:00pm last night and at 8:00am this morning the boards still feel slightly tacky. Should I bump up the amount of hardener or just accept slower cure times due to the temp?

Tonight I hope to mix my first batch of Peanut Butter - that is if I get the hull prepped for the placement of the stringers. I have to travel for a couple of days this week, so getting them set and letting the PB set up would be good. Here is a final shot of the work area - epoxied stringers in the foreground with the boat (sans graphics) in the background.

SkiSupreme052.jpg

More to come as we make progress...Suggestions and advice ALWAYS welcomed!!

Robert4Winns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really like this boat. It is just like the one I learned to ski behind. It looks like you are making some good progress. Keep up the good work.

Should I bump up the amount of hardener or just accept slower cure times due to the temp?

Do not alter the ratio of resin to hardener. With epoxy you have to use the ratio that is specified because the hardener is not merely a catalyst. Adding more will not help it cure better or faster and depending on the amount you are off it could make the end result weak or worse. To get it to cure quicker you need to increase the temperature or use a different hardener.

Are you storing the epoxy in the garage and do you keep the garage heated all of the time or just when you are out there working? It could be that the epoxy is not as warm as the air temperature.

iqxoqlms

Seaman

I cranked the heat up yesterday afternoon - and left it there. The box from UPS was sitting on the garage floor since friday - so I bet the resin and hardener were not anywhere near rooom temperature when I started. The jugs are sitting on the bench now - so maybe tonight will go better.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looking good! That is a very nice looking boat, I look forward to watching the progress!

iqxoqlms

Seaman

I am back with an update after a night that ended at 03:30!

I have to say one of the bonuses that comes with a project like this is the addition of tools one makes to his collection. The Ski Supreme resto has justified (in my mind) the purchase of a few new goodies...

SkiSupreme054.jpg

It feels good to be in building mode rather than dismantling. I have been working on a few different areas of the project - dabbling a bit. This weekend, however, will be devoted to glassing in the transom repair, stringers and getting started on the deck.

I have repaired a couple of the interior pieces that were rotted (shown above) and have stripped about half of the teak. I oiled some of the teak up to see how it was going to look.

SkiSupreme056.jpg

The transom patches were glassed in last night so that I can get the stringers in today. I am learning how to work with epoxy...I tried pre-heating the resin and hardener before mixing and then used a small space heater to help cure the repair. It really seemed to help.

SkiSupreme055.jpg

I hope to post more progress reports this weekend...THIS IS FUN!

iqxoqlms

Seaman

Stringers are in, notched for motor mounts and glassing has commenced. Second layer of glass is on the transom repair. I had hoped to get more done...but there is always tomorrow.

SkiSupreme057.jpg

SkiSupreme058.jpg

jonesg

Admiral

You can do the epoxy in a cool room then put it somewhere warmer to kick it off if its too slow,
exterior grade plywood is a lot better than interior grade.
I built a couple of casting platforms from interior grade and they're having trouble already after 3 outtings.
With the level of quality work you're doing I'm not sure I would even use wood for a deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.