3m 5200 Marine Adhesive any good

knoell3

Seaman Apprentice
Have a very slight leak in hull. Plan on using this to seal it. Someone told me it work very well on aluminum hulls. Any experiences or opinions??

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: 3m 5200 Marine Adhesive any good

Have a very slight leak in hull. Plan on using this to seal it. Someone told me it work very well on aluminum hulls. Any experiences or opinions??

Yes it will probably work. Try it out and let us know!:)

It bonds to wood and fiberglass with a practically unbreakable seal. I've used it to seal holes and cracks below the waterline on my boats. I've never used it for metal hulls.

"When using 3MTM Marine Adhesive/Sealant Fast Cure 5200 with metals it may be necessary to prime
the surface to achieve adequate adhesion and durability of the bond. Scotch-WeldTM Structural Adhesive
Primer EC-1945 B/A may be used for priming of most metals."

From 3M 5200 product guide: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtlx&EoXM6EVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--

TitanTea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had an alum flat bottom boat I used JB weld on. Filled many holes on her and it never leaked.

deckmonkey

Cadet

I have used this silicone for various uses on commercial fishing boats here in Alaska,,you can apply this stuff on wet metal surface's if need be,,I just used it yesterday to seal the plate that fits over the stuffing box in on a 78' foot Crab boat,,as we do twice a year,,sometimes more,,to check and tighten the stuffing box. this is a very good product,,works well with aluminum,,caulk away my friend,,
jim

deckmonkey

Cadet

I have used this silicone for various uses on commercial fishing boats here in Alaska,,you can apply this stuff on wet metal surface's if need be,,I just used it yesterday to seal the plate that fits over the stuffing box in on a 78' foot Crab boat,,as we do twice a year,,sometimes more,,to check and tighten the stuffing box. this is a very good product,,works well with aluminum,,caulk away my friend,,
jim

Sorry,,forgot to tell you also,,that plate is at the bottom of the fish hold wich is filled with water to circulate on the crab to keep them alive ( tons of water ) this tank full of crab will hold 65 thousand lbs of crab,,huge fish hold,,very reliable sealent that 5200,, founf on almost every commercial fishing vessel in Alaska,,can be applied wet!,,but at least dry the surface b4 applying.
jim

knoell3

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your replies folks. Will post follow up after I use this.

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Greetings,

Honestely 5200 is great but for sealing holes in aluminum you would want to use either marine tex or gluvit. Whenever i do aluminum repair i fix the actual hole with marine tex, than put a layer or two of gluvit over it. If the leak is around rivets or in a seam, Gluvit is the only way to go. Made specifically for what you want to do. Just google it!

Chad

Moody Blue

Captain

Yeh, the 5200 is a great product when used for the right application. I have had questionable success when using it on stainless and aluminum. It is not the wonder caulk that many believe it to be. Read the technical section on 3M's website about material compatibilities and applications to see for yourself. Not so good on metals but absolutely awesome on woods, fiberglass, plastics, fabrics etc.

I would follow the advice given above and use a product designed specifically for your situation.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Gluvit, is the aluminum boats best friend.

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the link trendsetter. I have been looking for some technical specs on this product.

I have 2 tubes, and I am hoping to use them for stringer/hull attachment as well as deck to hull attachment. This cold weather has got to go!

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

marine tex, gets my vote