Rustoleum Topside, Pettit Easypoxy, and Interlux Brightside.. any diff in durability?

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Will any hold up better than the others? I am not a real cosmetic sort of guy and can't bring myself to spend 100+ hours on prep. I will remove all loose paint, scuff, prime with self etching and/or filler primer as appropriate, sand it all smooth, then paint.

Since prep won't be flawless anyways, will it make a difference what paint I choose in terms of looks and durability? I'll be willing to pay for that if there's a significant difference. Thoughts? Rustoleum Topside is less than half the cost of the others.

drewpster

Commander
Re: Rustoleum Topside, Pettit Easypoxy, and Interlux Brightside.. any diff in durabil

Durability is relative. Generally speaking all of the paint brands you mention are quality products. The durability of the paint is going to depend on how well you take care of it after it is applied. It also depends on how well you prep. The standard answer from most paint manufacturers of any given paint is two years. If you use a quality two part paint that can be extended to five, or even up to ten, years depending on how it is taken care of.

Based on what you have written Rustoleum is probably a good choice.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rustoleum Topside, Pettit Easypoxy, and Interlux Brightside.. any diff in durabil

I used the Rustoleum on my Resto..ZC first..2 coats of Aluminum Rusto Primer..It helped fill pitted areas...then 4 coats of Rustoleum...I went this route because I will probably buy a 18-20' in a few years. My boat was pretty beat up! Now it looks pretty darn good..check out my thread below.

leer94

Seaman Apprentice

Will any hold up better than the others? I am not a real cosmetic sort of guy and can't bring myself to spend 100+ hours on prep. I will remove all loose paint, scuff, prime with self etching and/or filler primer as appropriate, sand it all smooth, then paint.

Since prep won't be flawless anyways, will it make a difference what paint I choose in terms of looks and durability? I'll be willing to pay for that if there's a significant difference. Thoughts? Rustoleum Topside is less than half the cost of the others.

I used interlux brightside on my boat. I am happy with it. Dropping a pair of pliers on it while fishing caused some unfortunate damage...but other than gel coat ( which would still show a "nick") I doubt anything would not be chipped when slammed with a pair of pliers.
I have a few spider cracks where my rub rail impacted docks. Someone told me that pettit will not crack that way. I do not know for sure if that is true...I kind of think NOT.

My first thought when reading your post...
Interlux is a self leveling paint. I know you are not a cosmetic guy...but with the self leveling characteristics of Interlux...if your prep is not top notch it is going to gravitate to every imperfection, likely pool and run, and look like it was some third graders class project. I am afraid it will look REALLY bad.

I do not know too much about the Rustoleum or the Pettit, never personally used them...but the prep for the interlux was not too bad. Just cleaning and sanding.
DO NOT use the interlux "filling" primer. they advertise it as filling small imperfections...it does not work. It ends up costing you more work than it is worth and really does not cover any eter than the regular primer.

being a "follow the instructions" sort of guy and wanting to make sure I did not do anything outside of what interlux suggests...the thing that sucked about the interlux is the cleaning chemicals. They are expensive and it seems like you use alot of the stuff.