rhino lining on bottom of boat?

alabamadawg

Seaman Apprentice
Looking for a sealeant for the bottom of the aluminum bass boat...any suggestions.

Thanks for the help...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: rhino lining on bottom of boat?

Stick with the Gluvit on the interior and you won't need it. Rhino-lining the exterior is a very bad idea.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Stick with the Gluvit on the interior and you won't need it. Rhino-lining the exterior is a very bad idea.

I dissagree, I see aluminum boats all the time with rhino lining on the outside, and it works great! Seals it from leaks, adds more durability to the hull, if i had a aluminum boat i would rhino line it in a heartbeat. I have a friend who has done it on his, and he loves it, going on 3 years now and it is just like new.

alabamadawg

Seaman Apprentice

I like the glovit idea but looking for something I can apply from the outside (without having to take everything out) inside the boat.

Thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Gluvit can also be applied from the outside. It is thin and fairly clear so it shouldn't effect the appearance of your boat too much.

This is picture of the inside of my hull after Gluvit was applied to all the seams and rivets:
DSCF2258.jpg

alabamadawg

Seaman Apprentice

what do yall think about the 3m 5200 stuff for a couple of seams and rivets?
I hear it is very good..

Huron Angler

Admiral

Gluvit is designed for what you are doing, it is the best way to go. It creeps slowly and really gets into seams and rivets well. Ezmobee is speaking from experience here:)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Read this thread ..... http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=370254

Rhino liner bed liner is not made for that purpose. Sure it will stick but it can lead to problems. Are you dealing with a welded hull or a riveted hull? Durabak makes a similar product but it is used on the decking and not outside the hull.

There were aluminum boat manufacturer's using rhino liner inside the hull on the decking surfaces but had so many warranty problems with separation it is no longer used. I would not apply it to an older boat due to the cost and there is no real guaranty when used for that purpose on the outside.

Now I have 3 aluminum boats and I had an aluminum bass boat I sold a few years back. Every one of those hulls has had gluvit applied. It slowly creeps into the seams and is a great epoxy coating.

What is wrong with your hull right now? Is it leaking? What shape is it in? Are you planning on salt or fresh water use?

A single 2 lb can of gluvit will seal most "average" boats.

I would invite anyone who has used rhino liner on their boat to comment and give the reason why if it was used on the outside of the hull.

Bob_VT

Staff member

I like the glovit idea but looking for something I can apply from the outside (without having to take everything out) inside the boat.

Thanks

Gluvit can be applied on the exterior to help seal seams and rivets. If it is applied where it will be exposed to the sunlight .... it needs to be painted since it does not have uv protection (99% of the epoxies do not). Gluvit info here http://www.marinetex.com/gluvit.html

alabamadawg

Seaman Apprentice

I am going to use the glovit on the rivets but i am going to use the marine tex putty on a few places that are a little bigger

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Look up a product called Steelflex. It's a 2 part epoxy coating made to seal the exterior of aluminum boats.

Bob_VT

Staff member

I am going to use the glovit on the rivets but i am going to use the marine tex putty on a few places that are a little bigger

Caution..... do not use too much marine tex and do not use the putty in flexing areas. I would even gluvit over a putty repair.

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

Probably, not the best person to ask. but, I "think" that a low side alum. boat,would just make it sit lower in water, using rhino liner. the stuff is not light, and is rigid. If you crack it. water runs between it and boat. If it were I, I would take boat to a welder and have him fix holes. NO! sense adding weight to a 12 or 14 ft alum. boat that I would have to wrestle down through the brush, to the lake. I "LOVE!!!" those "HARD TO GET TO!" fishing holes.

Andy in NY

Commander

rhino liner is also going to create more drag.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Save yourself alot of stress..thinking this will work..that will work...well maybe if i do this and that its even better...

Listen to the experts here that have used the Gluvit for what it is intended for..The manufacturer did all the guess work for you...simply spend the $50.00 and be done with it..the Correct way.