1972 Ranger Bass Boat Restoration Project

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well last sunday I picked up a 1972 ranger bass boat for free, and there is a reason it was free! It came with a 135hp johnson, which i have no idea if it runs at all. The floor is completely rotted out, as well as the transom. I am going to start pulling the top off, and rip out the floor. This however will be my first complete transom replacement so any advice you guys can give me would be GREAT! I will be posting pictures along the way, and asking a lot of questions! My plan is to have it completed in time for opening day on the lake March 31st! A lot of work to be done.

enough talking now, here are the pics.
DSC_0048-3.jpg

DSC_0049-3.jpg

DSC_0046-2.jpg

DSC_0047-3.jpg

DSC_0045-2.jpg

DSC_0043-2.jpg

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1972 Ranger Bass Boat Restoration Project

You definitely have your work cut out for you. That Ranger appears to be a nice model of retro-bass boat. Obviously, it needs a fair amout of attention. Certainly all the wood will need replacement. That motor has a lot of potential also. If that is the correct cowl, it appears that you have a '76 135 crossflow which is a great motor that should move that boat pretty good. For free, I'd say you made out pretty good.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks McGR, I feel like i made out pretty well!

I am going to take the top off tomorrow, and rip up the floor (weather permitting), and see if i can't make some progress on this thing.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Isaacm1986,
You can almost never go wrong with free. :p
I really like that motor mount too. Is that a new style?
I also noticed that wheels appear to be a little big for the trailer. :D
Just Kidding of coarse. :p
When you start something like this they always look bad, but you need to look at what it will give you back in the long run.
Just take your time and have fun.
I will be looking for you progress.
Bob

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes the boat really fly's along with the motor like that! I like it a lot! the trailer wheels are meant for all the off roading i do with the boat in tow!

I am planning on taking my time, I am not going to rush the project, I want it to come out nice. I just hope it will be done in time for opening day.

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice boat. You've got an interior to go by. Mine was gutted when I got it.

I notices the evidence of liquid sunshine too. Gotta love those Western Washington winters. that has to be the only place where the grass(moss) is green all winter and dies in the summer if you don't keep it watered.

I'm not knocking it. I lived in Tacoma for 8 years and loved every bit of it. I was camping or hiking almost every weekend.

Good luck on the restore. You've got something good to work with.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks like a nice little project! I can't wait to see it coming along!

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Great deal. I paid 600 for mine without a motor but they did throw in a rotted floor and transom for no extra charge. My trailer only has 2 tires tho.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Has anyone pulled the top off of one these before? I pulled the weather stripping, popped all the rivets, and unscrewed it from the deck, but it still wont budge. any thoughts?

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well today i got the floor ripped up and was pleasantly surprised to find the stringers in good shape still and filled with foam, one less BIG thing i have to do! I took off all the weather stripping on the side and popped out all the rivets thinking the top would lift off, but it still wont budge. so i have to figure out what to do with that, any ideas would be great! I need to access the transom to remove the rotted one and replace it with some sea-foam. I also got rid of the lawn growing on the bow of the boat! off to a good start!

I also got the motor off, and had my first look under the hood and it is very cleaned. we hooked a battery up to it and the starter works and the motor turns nicely, maybe there is hope for it yet!

anyway here are the pics, it is time now to put the tools away and spend time with the family!
DSC_0037-2.jpg

DSC_0036-2.jpg

DSC_0033-3.jpg

DSC_0034-2.jpg

DSC_0032-3.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks like you made some good progress! The fact that the motor turns over is a good sign!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I went out to put tools away, and found my self cutting the top to access the transom and boy it is rotted! my though to just scrape out as much of the rotted wood as possible and then pouring sea-cast, thoughts? will this work?

here are the pics!

DSC_0040-3.jpg

DSC_0041-3.jpg

DSC_0038-2.jpg

DSC_0039-3.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Isaacm1986,
Nice work so far.
To remove the top some manufacturers used fiberglass strips to help hold the cap on. I really don't think that is the case with yours.
I would take a knife and run along the gap between the upper and lower. If they used a sealer to close the gap that can hold the top on and it will need to be broke loose. If you happen to have missed any screws you will also find them that way too. Check any where the cap touches the deck you may find screws there two. I found several at those points.

Good luck
Bob

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think it is sealed around the edges, I cannot get a screwdriver up the sides at all. I have run a knife along the edges, and triple checked for screws, and still does not budge. I don't anyway of lifting the top off from a beam or anything. so I am going to have to try and work around it as best as possible.

So i have a sea-cast question. is there any other transom pour brands that would be worth looking at or is sea-cast the best one? I am wanting to get something ordered and on it's way so it is here when i need it.

thanks everyone!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I went out to put tools away, and found my self cutting the top to access the transom and boy it is rotted! my though to just scrape out as much of the rotted wood as possible and then pouring sea-cast, thoughts? will this work?

You should remove all the rotted wood. Somewhere in the restoration forum are pictures of a transom failure because someone did not remove all the rotted wood. :eek:

The ranger hulls are mated with tabs and wet resin in places. Many people have had to resort to using hammers and wide bladed scrapers..... it is a common construction practice.

Just to get you up to speed ........ you are replacing the deck...not the floor....... That "weatherstrip" is the rub rail.

We try to establish good habits here so we do not confuse our new member's.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Gotcha, I normally call it the deck, I don't know why I called it a floor. Won't happen again. I did not however know that was called the rub rail, learn something new everyday! I will work on my boating terms, I can understand wanting to establish good habits for everyone!

I am planning on getting rid of all the wood, I have been browsing through some of the other forums and I have come to this conclusion.

Thanks for the corrections.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did not get very far on the boat today. I went to the lumber yard and picked up some 3/4" Plywood i am going to glass and install for the new deck, when that time comes of course. I vacumed out the boat, got the rest of the rot out of it, and so it is coming along.

I still cannot seem to budge the cap of the ranger, so I am just going to work around it as best as possible. I found another thread on this very subject for ranger cap removal and I guess the were put together with the intentions of never being removed.

So weather permitting I will work on getting all the rot out of the transom tomorrow. I will be ordering the Nidabond tomorrow as well so I can get this thing all put back together!

thanks everyone again for the help!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Many people have made home made scrapers to get all the wood out