1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Fun ride! :lol: looked more like a good old fashion beat down to me. :happy:

Great to hear you're done worrying about some crazy elusive motor problem.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Hey , thanks for the encouragement guys!

This thread has been waiting for 2436 days or 348 weeks or, aw heck, a long time for you to make an entry. Are you up for it, Jas? :D

Well, yah, I suppose it has technically been "splashed" but I'd really like to check off the short punch list before I post up on that thread. Bringing this Islander to the finish line is really where I'd like to be, knowhattamean :thumb:

Hopefully I can wrap up those few items. My challenge is a really busy fall. Every night and each weekend we have obligations and sports and whatnot. It'll be a trick to get some boat building time over the next couple of months. November things start to open up a little. We'll see...

64osby

Admiral
Totally awesome Jas.

Maybe you can call it a splish at this point. :joyous:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Hi guys!

Well, it's been a very busy fall, no time for boating or boat building. But, this weekend I tried to carve out some time for the swim platform.

I've been planning to build one from scratch, but, I decided to take another look at this one that was hooked to the big 26 footer...
P1110249.jpg

It was really beat up and desperately weathered. I assumed that it was just too rotted out and would fall apart...
20161001_082223.jpg

20161001_082131.jpg

All along I've been planning on tossing that in the burn pile, but wouldn't you know it, after I pulled everything all apart and a ton of work, I found some really nice teak under there!

20161002_104859.jpg

20161002_164715.jpg

I'll need to seal it up or oil it and then bolt it up to the stern of the Islander. That swim platform should be a great addition to this boat:thumb:

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That looks like really good teak, Jas.

Saved from the burn pile! :thumb:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
AOK guys, very excited to post this up!

I pulled the Islander out of the woods to summarize for this weekend. The first job I wanted to get after is to install the old rebuilt swim platform. Check it out...
image_4.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_2.jpg

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

That was a ton of work to get it to this stage and I'm very happy with how it turned out. Besides the engine and the steering wheel I think this platform might be about the next most important install on this boat. The kids will love it for swimming and tubing and stuff. It'll be awesome :thumb:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Exciting stuff alright, boating and swimming on the horizon! Platform looks like brand new teak wood. :happy:

Mark72233

Ensign
Jas, that swim platform looks beautiful. That's what I envisioned for my boat. Wish I would have stuck with it because that looks great.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys! I've got a stainless folding ladder with teak steps that after a little rehab I'll install that'll make it even that much better, very cool:thumb: