1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

third times the charm

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm on the beach here now so my connection is spotty.....and I'm on my phone...

It was a bit choppy out there so I only brought it up to about 2200 RPM, all went well so far! Hopefully tomorrow it'll calm down a bit so I can push on the throttle some.

This V8 is more smooth and quieter than the V6. Of course the stern sits a just lil deeper in the water too.

Awww, reminds me of a song....fat bottom girls

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I tried not posting all week counting down to thursday! Awesome to see a wake!! Congrats on the cruise splashes Jas

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You're right about the quieter 8. It's not working as hard. Stern dip is like the air shocks of the 2000's. In the 80's, we jacked the rear of the car up to show we had power under the hood. Now, the deeper the dip, the faster the boat.

Glad to see she's back on the water, that's probably the biggest smile you have worn since pulling the 4.3 eh.

P.s. you need a snorkel hood scoop on the dog house now. Oh, and some Center Line cleats.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Man, what a smile! Congrats!

Can't wait to see the full throttle blast video. :thumb:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Packed a uhaul this weekend to move, check in and still no vid? MBS DR. isnt going to like my next visit....

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
AOK fellas, just got back last night from a great weekend on the big lake! Some good and a bit of not so good with the V8. First a few boat on the water shots...

Here's the rig hooked up to my mooring anchor. No docks here, the lake would eat it up in a heartbeat.
20160826_175243.jpg

Beyond that horizon there are weird Canadians.
20160826_175254.jpg

When the light hit the water just right it would glitter on the hull like diamonds, it was pretty cool...
20160826_175452.jpg

The sunrises on this side never disappoint...
20160827_064421.jpg

20160827_063019.jpg

Saturday was rainy and windy making for 4' rollers, no boating for that day.

Sunday ended up being pretty nice, still 2' - 3' waves. I did make a run to a bay south of us to find some quiet water. I throttled up to 3800 RPM's which put me at 42 mph. This V8 is awesome, smooth, and plenty of power. I am really glad I swapped out the V6, no regrets at all!

Now, I do believe that I still have starting issues with this engine though...

#1 Now I know it took me a heckava long time to decide on batt placement back in the day. Well, where they are now I believe is too far away for this V8. I can tell they are having a hard time starting it. So, I'll be moving them back to the stern next to the engine.

#2 On Friday at the dock and then again Sunday morning the engine would turn, turn, turn, turn....but no fire. It eventually fired on Friday without me doing anything. On Sunday I pulled the air cleaner off and just touched the choke and it fired right up. So I think I might have a cold start choke adjustment that needs to happen here. Warm start is just a bump of the key, super easy. I'll have to see if I can play that out a bit to see if that is the actual legitimate issue.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Just beautiful. I grew up in MI and miss the Great Lakes and the "cottage up North" inland lake culture there in general, since it shaped my whole life and my values. Nice spot you've got there.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Wow what a sweet view! Glad the Islander is what you wanted her to be. :thumb:

Most carbed motors have a preferred cold starting sequence and won't just pop right off. Mine, 2 wot pumps, slightly advanced throttle and she goes in 2 sec of cranking when cold. Warm, touch the key and she fires. Carbs are finicky cold start contraptions.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Just beautiful. I grew up in MI and miss the Great Lakes and the "cottage up North" inland lake culture there in general, since it shaped my whole life and my values. Nice spot you've got there.

I lived out west for a bit, love the mountains, really missed big water! We enjoy it so much up there.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Wow what a sweet view! Glad the Islander is what you wanted her to be. :thumb:

Most carbed motors have a preferred cold starting sequence and won't just pop right off. Mine, 2 wot pumps, slightly advanced throttle and she goes in 2 sec of cranking when cold. Warm, touch the key and she fires. Carbs are finicky cold start contraptions.

Yah, this Islander handles chop very well, super solid!

Yup, I'm going to need to figure out the cold start sequence she likes and make adjustments as I go.

dozerII

Admiral
Awesome Jason, the choke plate when the engine is cold should have a very slight pressure holding it full closed. Before you start it pop the spark arrestor off stroke the throttle fully and see where the choke plate is sitting, then adjust from there. If it it and electric choke there are three screws on the black disc loosen them
and turn the black choke cover clockwise to richen (close the plate)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Awesome Jason, the choke plate when the engine is cold should have a very slight pressure holding it full closed. Before you start it pop the spark arrestor off stroke the throttle fully and see where the choke plate is sitting, then adjust from there. If it it and electric choke there are three screws on the black disc loosen them
and turn the black choke cover clockwise to richen (close the plate)

It was a split second when I touched the choke plate and she started and I wasn't paying careful attention, but, I think there is just a small gap on the plate. I may need to adjust it so it closes just a smidge. This carb is old, not electric. D you happen to know where/how the adjustments works on these?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You do need to advance the throttle to set the choke closed for cold starting. In the New Dawn of fuel injection, many don't know to tap the gas pedal or move the boat throttle forward and back to neutral.

Try it the next time, Jason. And set the choke as Dozer said. You need a perfect day on the water. :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
You do need to advance the throttle to set the choke closed for cold starting. In the New Dawn of fuel injection, many don't know to tap the gas pedal or move the boat throttle forward and back to neutral.

Try it the next time, Jason. And set the choke as Dozer said. You need a perfect day on the water. :D

Yah, I've been doing that, two pumps on the throttle for some fuel and then advanced just a smidge at cold start. I'm old, I get it. Now, not as old as you though!

dozerII

Admiral
It was a split second when I touched the choke plate and she started and I wasn't paying careful attention, but, I think there is just a small gap on the plate. I may need to adjust it so it closes just a smidge. This carb is old, not electric. D you happen to know where/how the adjustments works on these?

Hey Jason, does it have the little heat stove with a steel rod coming up to the to the choke? If so there is kinda like a z bend in the rod about half way between the stove and the choke plate, using a couple pairs of pliers straighten the rod slightly to increase it's length and richen the choke.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Hey Jason, does it have the little heat stove with a steel rod coming up to the to the choke? If so there is kinda like a z bend in the rod about half way between the stove and the choke plate, using a couple pairs of pliers straighten the rod slightly to increase it's length and richen the choke.

Got it, I do believe that will do the trick, I'll give that a shot. Thanks man!