1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
All right guys, I got after it yesterday and dove right into the 1.47 drive. Here's the first thing I found....

20160821_080703.jpg

I have chipmunks around my place, I need to thin that herd a little.

After that, the drive maintenance went well and everything looked excellent in there!

New impeller, bolted it back together, new drive oil, no water or metal shavings in the old oil, bolted it on the bell housing, trim rams on, 23P prop on, all set!

Then up to the engine, made the throttle and shift connections and adjustments, all good there. I needed to spend some time cleaning up the air cleaner and carb, that was a mess...

P1110515.jpg

Double check all the connections, fuel, aok ----

Pulled the Islander out of the garage for the big moment............fail........

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...usly-can-t-win

Last edited:

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Jas, you sure do make these boat projects interesting! Well I have to admit I am looking forward to the 'next' splash and video of yet another "Waaahhhhoooo!!"

Until then keep the posts comin' and of course good luck!

Frey

Tnstratofam

Commander
Congrats on getting your motor gremlins sorted out. Now get her buttoned up and get her splashed. :pop2: We will be anxiously awaiting your report!

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
I've been reading along...I wasn't worried. You're from the Mid-West, you people are hearty, resourceful folks! Now 60mph should be within your sights!!!

Congrats!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I sure hope you didn't get excited and forget to turn the water on this time. :lol:

I'm throwing all my good thoughts and wishes your way for a successful run!

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Computer problems. Sure wish my audio works. The video looks positive however.

You should be back out in no time.

third times the charm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Now thats alot better for the ol girl. Glad to see you got her running....splash video, splash video....come on say it with me.....everybody now. Seriously, Jas, the invert upgrade to the v8 will be welcomed. Now, will this splash 4 or 5....lost track.šŸ˜

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Hey thanks fellas:becky:

Chem, I think I could get away with a cheap hit job working with those doods. A couple of loose doggie snacks and they'd be in I bet.

Yah guys, the engine running here in the yard even makes this boat feel different. Better. There's this deep, low base like rumble, it's cool.

Yup, the boat is pretty dirty with me climbing in and out a thousand times over the past few days - grease, oil, dirt all that. I'll need to get her all cleaned up and put back together here.

Looking at my schedule and the weather for the week my window might not come till this weekend. Man, that seems like a long way off, rats. Maybe Thursday afternoon I might be able to sneak out, maybe....

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Pusher

Lieutenant
Simple Green takes it off easy enough but sheesh what a hassle. Next time I have the drive off I'll absolutely be swapping the tube out for a bellows. Maybe over the winter I can get that done. I really regret putting that tube on, rats.

Hey, I was cruisin through the end of your restoration. Looks like a nice boat and you did a good job. Just thought I'd throw a couple cents your way. You may know too... But simple green is corrosive to alluminum. Wouldn't want that gorgeous beast to get a cavity ;-)

I believe you said you were going to repower with a pod and an OB... I would like to see that.

Last edited:

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
No Title

We had 20 mph winds blowing directly to Canada and a small craft advisory that day too. Just plain dumb! But this was my view that day before we started towing people back to our side! 1200 hp on a tin boat :)

Jas, how about a bracket with a couple of these off the back for the IIslander? ;)

What a bunch of idiots, should leave them to their own device to get home.

As far as cost of rescues go we spend many times more than that for just one Canadian who needs air lifted out from the wilderness of the pacific crest trail.

Attachments

• photo251144.jpg
    photo251144.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 0

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
I'm on the beach here now so my connection is spotty.....and I'm on my phone...

It was a bit choppy out there so I only brought it up to about 2200 RPM, all went well so far! Hopefully tomorrow it'll calm down a bit so I can push on the throttle some.

This V8 is more smooth and quieter than the V6. Of course the stern sits a just lil deeper in the water too.