1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thought I'd drop in. Your early posts are one of the primary reasons I got started in this forum.

I don't have any good information on prop pitch since all I know came from this forum.

Carburetors on the other hand are old friends. I always had good luck adjusting the idle screw by ear. I've used vacuum gauges but I find my ear works even better for me. Here's what I do.

Adjust the idle screw in until you start hearing that stumbling (missing) sound. Note where the screw is. Adjust back out very slowly until you very faintly hear the engine loading up. Note where the screw is. Repeat to make sure the locations are the same. Move the screw to the mid point between the 2 points. That may be a quarter turn or up to half a turn. If more something is wrong and the carburetor probably needs attention. Repeat the process for the other carburetor. Then go back and fine tune each. They should run well providing other systems are also functioning properly such as timing and compression.

A vacuum gauge might work in a similar manner but I can hear differences that the gauge hasn't yet responded to.

Hope this helps and by the way, nice work as usual for you.

pckeen

Commander
Congratulations! Fabulous! Nice to see the successful splash. :peace::target::clap2::clap2:And the Crowd goes wild!

pckeen

Commander
Re. the RPMS, I'm betting this is a prop issue. You'll know as soon as you install the 19 pitch prop and see what happens. My guess is you want a 21 pitch. You'll see a big jump in RPMs when you go down. Just be careful you don't over-rev the motor when you install the 19 pitch.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ya know Jas, I think you could pick up 4 0r 5 mph easy if you move those batteries to the rear of the boat:faint2:

Congrats man. She's AWSOME!

Now where is that :ban: button? We want Jas to finish, not start all over again! :lol:

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Congrats man!!!! Well worth the time and effort. A superb looking rig. The smile and laughter in the video tells the whole story.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Hi guys....

All right, I have to say this.....

If I weren't so completely and totally invested in this IO driveline I'd bolt on an OB on a bracket and be done. Then I'd take that IO and throw it in the big lake to use as a mooring anchor! Aaaaaaaahhhhhhkkkkkk!

All right, so this morning I went out to dial in this new carb. Crank, no start. I fiddle with it some, crank, still no start. Poop.

Now, I noticed the other day at sea trial a little fuel dripping. I completely assumed it was a small leak from the fuel line attachment I made. This morning I see that it's actually leaking from my brand new carb. Grrrrrr.

One step forward and two steps back. Man sometimes I just can't win.

Last edited:

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
Jas you did one heck of a job on that boat! I keep flipping from 1 to 405 to see the before and after pictures, just a great job on it.

If you decide to rebuild I would suggest not removing the throttle plates/blades. This should build some confidence-guy even gives free spiritual advice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hwp5-W8jl0

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
By the way, for the record, I decided this morning while struggling with this IO....

Even though I have a nice 5.7 V8 sitting on a pallet ready to go for the 26' Sportfisherman.......IT'S NOT GOING THERE!

That big boat will get a bracket and an outboard.

There, maybe I feel a little better.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Where is it leaking from? Into the carb or externally? External would have little or nothing to do with it running. If your have a stuck float and the fuel keeps flowing into the carb it could flood the engine. New plugs and a few taps on the carb bowl should solve your problem.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
So much for being the king of bottom feeders :lol: OB's have multiple carbs and cost 1000's more.

My experience with OB and IOs is the opposite, I have more trouble with old OBs. I love that 4.3 L in my Chief, nothing like it in my opinion it's a perfect blend of power, cost and reliability. .

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
It was still kinda dark so I couldn't tell for certain but is there a top half and a bottom half to this carb? Is there a seal in between? If so, I think it's leaking there, externally, on the bow side.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Float bowl on a 2bbl has a gasket otherwise it should be one piece body with a base gasket.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Yah WM, I'm going to save up for something nice. EFI/DFI or four stroke maybe. Something used but more current.

I'm dun playen!

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Try to tighten all the screws that you see on the top of the carb running to the bottom. It is aluminium so don't over tighten. Try To tighten them in an even pattern. Start at one corner then diagonally across from that one then a middle one if there is one, then criss cross corners again then the last middle one. Try to tighten evenly. You basically don't want to warp the top piece or strip the bolt holes. If they are very loose do this patten in two or three stages. An external leak doesn't mean it won't start though. If it is leaking from the top of the carb you probably have a stuck float. Tap it on the side of the bowl a few times with the back of a screw driver and see if that helps. Gas leaking into the engine from the carb could mean a stuck float too. The float opens and closes the fuel supply to keep the bowl full. If it is stuck open fuel will continue to flow into the carb and flood the engine. It could also leak out the air horn.

Make sure you are still getting spark as well. Once you get this thing dialed in it will run like a car. I would agree with Watermann. I am an outboard guy myself but that's because they don't make 40 horse io's. Lol. I have fought with my old outboard year in and year out. It shocks me how much everything for it costs. Stick with the IO. You'll love it in the long run.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A pic of where it's leaking would help out tremndously. You could also keep the choke open and crank it for a bit. This should clear out excess gas and start. You will have to give it some throttle to keep it running until it warms up but it will run without the choke.

pckeen

Commander
Ditto on the above - had a similar experience with a brand new never run....but had sat in its original packaging for 15 years...generator once - carb leaked....until I gave it a whack - I think it was either a stuck float, or a stuck needle. As for the outboard idea on the Sportfisherman, you should totally do that.....and the fact that I'm looking for a 5.7 V8 Mercruiser for my new Chief has nothing to do with it. Honest.

On a serious note, I've spent a year fighting with an old outboard, so you can have just as many problems with them....I second the motion to keep the IO in the sportfisherman.

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Try to tighten all the screws that you see on the top of the carb running to the bottom. It is aluminium so don't over tighten. Try To tighten them in an even pattern. Start at one corner then diagonally across from that one then a middle one if there is one, then criss cross corners again then the last middle one. Try to tighten evenly. You basically don't want to warp the top piece or strip the bolt holes. If they are very loose do this patten in two or three stages. An external leak doesn't mean it won't start though

Yah, I know it leaking didn't have any effect on the engine starting or not. It just added to the issues is all.

Tightening those screws all the way around was actually the first thing I did. Still leaking.

Later on today, when the sun is out I'll take a better look and see what I can see, snap a few photos too.

Cheers guys!

dozerII

Admiral
Yah, I know it leaking didn't have any effect on the engine starting or not. It just added to the issues is all.

Tightening those screws all the way around was actually the first thing I did. Still leaking.

Later on today, when the sun is out I'll take a better look and see what I can see, snap a few photos too.

Cheers guys!

I thought you kicked that Murphy guy off your back and banished him a while ago;)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
SHAZAAM!!!!

I think I got it guys!!

So I went out this morning, had a little trouble getting it started, but got it.
I cranked on the carb housing bolts just a bit more and I do believe I've stopped the fuel leak now. They were pretty loose to start with.
I dialed in the idle screws, adjusted the idle, adjusted the throttle cable and she seems to be running really well - at least here in the drive anyway.
I also swapped out the 23P prop for the 19P. My guess is that might give me too much revs and the 21P might be the sweet spot??
So, now I need to see if all my adjustments will actually make a difference on the water. Maybe this afternoon I can take her out??? We'll see.....