1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey guys cut him some slack, it's only been a year and some change since his last post on this Islander thread... :rolleyes:

I think he's just reverted to being a long time lurker :heh:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I feel like a hit and run victim :watermelon:

Hope all is well w you and yours

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Come on mob, Lets get the torches lit and march!!!!!,.......

Hop all is well with ya Jas,.......

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Hiya fellas:yo:

So ya, maybe a bit of a hit and run, but, at low speed:car:

Progress? Yes:rockon:

I think I'd like to get a little further along here and I'll show you fellas what I've been up too:becky:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Well, the tach is wired and working. That means the motor is running. Which in turn means.................................? :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Well, the tach is wired and working. That means the motor is running. Which in turn means.................................? :D

I will neither confirm or deny that the Islander may or may not be approaching a sea trail. Or not.

:behindsofa::spy::painkiller::flypig:

pckeen

Commander
I think he's got a mostly finished boat. My guess is he's been using the time away from posting to work on the boat. Isn't that cheating?

Glad to see you back Jas. You've been missed.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hiya fellas:yo:

So ya, maybe a bit of a hit and run, but, at low speed:car:

Progress? Yes:rockon:

I think I'd like to get a little further along here and I'll show you fellas what I've been up too:becky:

So hey Jas you going to be splashing her before the SOTY voting starts this winter? I'm thinking someones been lurking around checking out the competition :lol:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
I think he's got a mostly finished boat. My guess is he's been using the time away from posting to work on the boat. Isn't that cheating?

Glad to see you back Jas. You've been missed.

Well, what will be a little strange is I've recorded every single step up until this last stretch. There is going to be a big gap in this thread but that's all right, it's been dragged out too long anyhow right:upset:

This clears everything up. I think? :noidea: LOL

I feel like I've set deadlines about a half dozen times on this project only to blow them out (to my shame and embarrassment:hopelessness:). No more deadlines, it'll happen when it happens, maybe. Hopefully.

So hey Jas you going to be splashing her before the SOTY voting starts this winter? I'm thinking someones been lurking around checking out the competition :lol:

Starcraft of the year? Ha! Nope. It's not that nice. I think the fit and finish of the Jet Star and the Sea Nymph were both a little better than this one actually. The twists and turns and major modifications on this boat, with a zero $ budget, I think that's what this project is about:thumb:

Maybe he decided to turn the Islander back to an Islander. :lol:

Actually, I have made a couple of changes since I last posted up. But I sure didn't put that cabin back on! It felt a little weird to see the metal scrapper guy come by and grab all that aluminum. But it'll be awesome to have the whole family sitting up in the bow flyen around the lake though:cool-new:

Cheers!

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No deadlines, Jason. Just make her seaworthy and get the Bowlander wet and the wind blowing the Admiral and kiddlies hair back.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Well I'll be, I heard rumors of you being struck down by a random rogue glass boat that flew off of a trailer passing by.

Glad to see it's all rumors and no more.

Eagerly awaiting a genuine update with some pics.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Well I'll be, I heard rumors of you being struck down by a random rogue glass boat that flew off of a trailer passing by.

Glad to see it's all rumors and no more.

Ah nope. Actually, now that I think on it for a minute, I believe I've exterminated 2 or 3 glassers since I've been away from the boards. I'd post up the photos but i know the glasser guys get all weepy and worked up so I'll just let it go:boink::becky:

dozerII

Admiral
Good To see you back working on the old girl Jason, good thing she was stored indoors or covered enough time has passed all your work could have gone bad by now.:rolleyes::peace:

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had heard rumors of some guy flying down the highway in your area pullin' a nasty old glasser with needed doner parts on it with a modded up 350 Honda, sawzall strapped to his back..... bugs in his teeth... evil laugh as he passed..... Jas?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Good morning iboats! It has been a long while since I've been here and I thinks it's high time I brought this build thread up to speed. It's hard for me to remember where I left off so let's start with this boats paint job.

What a frustrating process that has been. I think I posted up about when I painted it black with all sorts of runs/drips/orange peel. It was not good. Well I sanded it all down, again, and gave it another shot, only navy blue. Same story, different color. Runs/drips/orange peel. I was so frustrated I think I let 6 months go by before I even looked at the boat again. I gave it another go, sanded it all down, went with navy blue....

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

It looks pretty good in that photo but trust me, not good, runs/drips/orange peel. I painted two boats prior and they turned out great. This one has my number!!!

So, I actually found a pro body shop to paint up this boat on the cheap, really cheap. Here's how he did...

20160401_105626.jpg

20160401_110100.jpg

20160401_110204.jpg

(sorry photos in the garage aren't very good)

Good news? It was cheap. More good news? It's a better job than what I did. That's it for the good news.

Bad news? It's not a professional job. Lot's of mistakes. I'll need to go back and touch up some stuff, some stuff can't be corrected. Again, better than my paint work but far from professional. More bad news? Major dust and over spray all over the place, gigantic mess! Oh well, it's a 40 year old boat that came from a scrap yard and the job was very budget friendly.

AOK, as soon as I can get the huge mess inside of the boat cleaned up, I'll take some photos of all that and get this thread caught up on the work in there.

Cheers!

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good to see you back! I have read through your thread(s)/journey, and I have to say that although it pains me to see you desecrate all of those perfectly good glass boats, I really appreciate how you are building this boat the way that you want it to be. I will be following along to see how it all shakes out!