1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
:blue:
Well Starmada guys....what was once the heart beat of this forum is now gone. He kicked us to the curb like yesterdays trash for a shiny new land going mistress. I guess the allure of something vibrating between his legs was more appealing then something bouncing waves beneath his feet. Sad to lose a brother like that. Ride in peace Jas :violin:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Well howdy fellas, yup I'm here!:thumb:

Basically, work, house projects and the fact that I sleep like a normal human being now has basically shut down Islander building progress over the past few months.

BUT!

For the last few days I have been in the garage, at it! It been refreshing to be working on the ol girl again:joyous:

Nothing special for progress just yet but I'll be plugging along from here on. I'm not about to make any predictions on when this boat will be in the water. Why? Well, that would be just ridiculous given my track record, HA!:hopelessness:

I'll post up some action when I have something to show you guys (and when iboats starts working again:cold:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Welcome back buddy. The forum is back in harmony now.

Yah, hey, the forums seem to be working a little better too, cool:thumb:

So, little progress on the headless Islander this morning. I left off with getting the gunwales straightened out, tons of holes n' stuff to repair.
IMG_0129.jpg

For that job I decided to go with Marine-Tex...
IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

This was my first time using this stuff and I guess it's basically like JB Weld, real similar anyway. Except towards the end of the job it started to kick off, get hot, and gloopy. I'd guess the working time was about 25-30 minutes or so.

Supposedly this sands down easier than JB, we'll see after it cures up.

Cheers guys:becky:

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
Jas, do you think that would work on a horizontal surface like my transom, or would it be too runny and not stay put before it kicks? I got lotsOholes to fill.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I've used MT a whole bunch and it doesn't sand like wood like they say and don't over apply. Just be sure it's cured well or it will ruin your sand paper in a few minutes. The trick is to sand, sand and sand some more. Then shoot a light coat of primer on the repairs to show the imperfections and then sand some more. I would make a terrible body and fender man, I loose patience pretty quick.

Glad your back at it and kicking around the place. I would hate to knock out 2 restos before you get your Islander finished. :D :lol: :eek:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
:welcome: to the Tin DryDock, jasoutside. :lol: Hope the MT sands OK for ya! Good to see your return. :smile:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Hey OI - I've done vertical surfaces with JB before and this Marine-Tex is basically the same. The key for vertical is multiple thin layers so it doesn't sag yah know.

Yah guys, I do believe I have a bunch of sanding ahead of me. I think I'll give it another day to cure then get after it.

Water - Appreciate the butt kick there, any/all motivation is appreciated:joyous:

Hey, thanks for the welcome GA! I really need to get back to making regular progress on this Islander. The kiddos really want me to pull them on the tube:watermelon:

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I know the forum has been unstable to say the least, but I was just wondering where you had been. Welcome back!! Glad to see some progress.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hey Jas, check out Ace Hardware and get some of this stuff... I like it LOTS better than Marine-Tex and it's White so easier to cover up with paint. It's cheaper too and it even cures underwater!!!
PC11.jpg

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Hey captain checking in to see how that tin boat is going. Bet you wish it was made of old itchy glass don't ya? Kidding aside can't wait to see you rip up some glass smooth water on it. Maybe more than your kiddos.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Tom, selling boats in the forums is a big no no around here as our gracious host, iboats, has a way to list boats for sale for a fee. I would suggest giving them a try, or your local craigslist. I would think a hard top Islander would be fairly easy to sell