removing vinyl lettering

blues

Seaman
I am painting my 79 sleekcraft,.
and must remove the taped on lettering,.
is there a better way than using a razor?
maybe some chemical?

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: removing vinyl lettering

On vehicles I have used a hair dryer and a plastic scrapper (like you would use with Bondo) to get the vinyl off and then WD-40, GooGone or the like to get the adhesive off...

Southern Appal

Seaman Apprentice

That's right. Hair dryer softens the adhesive so you can get the letters & numbers off. Then clean up the sticky stuff with Goo Gone or something like that. You'll want to make sure to get any residue of the GooGone off before you paint. A good wash and rinse should do it.

comala57

Recruit

Depends on how old the letters are. My 74 Challenger, I was preasure washing it and noticed some of the letters and stickers were peeling. So I used a stiff nylon brush and goo gone. Came off with ease. Granted most letters and stickers were subject to many years in the sun so not much clear coat protecting them. Or a very fine sand paper may help. Hope this helps. Cam

BobsGlasstream

Commander

The people that make the vinyl lettering and vinyl wrap material, recommend using a heat gun and a plastic scraper.
I figure they should no if anyone does. I had already done the research a few months ago.
Good Luck
Bob
P.S. Would love to see some pic's of your project. Those Sleekcraft are pretty cool looking boats.

bananaboater

Ensign

My 45 year old aluminum boat had about 4 different state's letters on. So the first few layers came off moderately easily but the oldest ones I HAD to use a razor scraper. Heat, goo off, oops, WD 40 did not budge them. I was really careful and only made a few new scratches. Last resort method. Good luck.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

What I used and it works great is a pinstripe remover. It is basically a 3 inch round eraser you can chuck in a drill and it rubs off any vinyl as well as the adhesive but doesnt hurt the paint or gelcoat at all. I have pictures in my thread