Floatation calculations, or what will it take to float your boat ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Floatation calculations, or what will it take to float your boat ?

just a question on where you found the flotation factor for the foam of 62.4 lbs/ft?

Ayuh,... That's the weight of a cubic foot of Water...
If you displace that same cubic foot, that's how much it'll Float...
If you're using 2lb. foam the actual # would be 60.4lbs...
Of course, 4lb. foam will be 58.4lbs...

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is a great thread, One thing to consider is that from what i can tell everyone is calculating the amount of foam needed based on the air weight of their boats. However if you calculate the negative buoyancy of the major component you will even further refine the amount of foam necessary.

So what i'm doing is figuring out the negative buouancy of the major components, those being the hull and the engine. These calculations are for salt water, once i have these done i'll add a fresh water coefficient.

Hull Calculation

w =Weight of the Aluminum Hull 1800
sw =Specific weight of AL = 2.6 (In salt water)
pb = Positive Buoyancy of Hull w/sw , 1800/2.6 = 692.3

Now you need to find the negative buoyancy as that is why you need flotation

NB w-pb 1800 - 692.3 = 1107

So now i need enough flotation to float 1107 lbs (hull)

Now i do the same for the driveline

Drive Line

w =Weight of the engine 640
sw =Specific weight of Cast IRon= 7 (In salt water)
pb = Positive Buoyancy of Hull w/sw , 640/7 = 91.5

Now you need to find the negative buoyancy as that is why you need flotation

NB w-pb 640 - 91.5 = 548

Totals
Total Negative Buoyancy (salt water) is 1655 lbs

Now you can compensate for fresh water by adding 2.5% to that number and a safety factor of 1.3%

1655lbs * 2.5% = 41.36

Fresh water buoyancy is 1696.4

with Safety factor

1696.4 * 1.33% = 22.6

tbw =Total buoyancy weight = 1719 lbs

So how much foam? It depends on the Foam.

What you need to have is F which is the Flotation value of foam in lbs. per cubic foot

then you can take the tbw value and divide it by F to get you necessary cubic feet of foam to keep your boat from going to the bottom.

1719 / f = amount of foam.

Now i just need to find real F values for the foam i want to use and i'll be all set.

Tim

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,... That's the weight of a cubic foot of Water...
If you displace that same cubic foot, that's how much it'll Float...
If you're using 2lb. foam the actual # would be 60.4lbs...
Of course, 4lb. foam will be 58.4lbs...

ahh thanks..

milmat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Am I lost or what? Why is the foam added to the boat ?? Only to insure floatation in the case of a tipover ?

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Am I lost or what? Why is the foam added to the boat ?? Only to insure floatation in the case of a tipover ?

Not so much "tipping over", but a major flooding, such as major hull damage or a drive bellows tearing on a I/O. It provides bouyancy in the boat so you have something to hold onto until help arrives, or perhaps you find the boat hanging by the ropes on your slip, and perhaps recover the boat.

Terry

erikgreen

Captain

This is a great thread, One thing to consider is that from what i can tell everyone is calculating the amount of foam needed based on the air weight of their boats. However if you calculate the negative buoyancy of the major component you will even further refine the amount of foam necessary.

You can do the calculations either way. The reason everyone is starting with their boat weight in air is that it gives a simple way to do the calculations and come up with a reasonably accurate answer.

You can argue that calculating buoyancy is more accurate, but it's still not perfect, and if you get a usable answer the other way the increased accuracy is extra work for little advantage. Calculating you can put in 27 cubic feet of foam instead of 27.6 really isn't a huge difference.

As to "not perfect".... you could make your calculations more accurate by measuring the specific gravity of your drive train as a whole.. the density (and therefore buoyancy) of your engine will be less than a block of iron the same size because the engine is hollow for the most part. Even if you've accounted for the negative buoyant influence of the iron, you're not counting the positive buoyancy of any trapped air, exhaust gases, or the oil (or for that matter the fuel in the gas tank).

But in the end, the answer you get from more detailed calculations is only slightly less than the estimate you get using the dry weight of the boat plus Archimedes' principle.

One comment on your safety margin:

Fresh water buoyancy is 1696.4

with Safety factor

1696.4 * 1.33% = 22.6

tbw =Total buoyancy weight = 1719 lbs

A 1.33 percent safety factor isn't safe. Think about it... if you happened to have a couple extra downrigger weights, or one more dive tank, you'll sink to the bottom.

A more appropriate safety factor would be one third, or multiply times 1.33, to have a third extra flotation.

Remember, since your increased accuracy in calculating floatation volume reduced the estimate of foam you needed to put in to float the boat, you've got to be equally accurate loading it so you don't exceed the floatation limit.

So how much foam? It depends on the Foam.

What you need to have is F which is the Flotation value of foam in lbs. per cubic foot

then you can take the tbw value and divide it by F to get you necessary cubic feet of foam to keep your boat from going to the bottom.

1719 / f = amount of foam.

The max floatation value a cubic foot of foam can give is about 62.8 lbs.. that being the weight of the cubic foot of water that's displaced by the foam. A cube of foam with a low density, say standard 2 lb floatation foam, would provide about 60.8 lbs of buoyancy when fully submerged (62.8 lbs/cf water - 2 lbs/cf foam). If you used something other than foam like trapped air you could get a little more buoyancy provided the container the air was in weighed very little.

By your estimate, you need about 27.3 cubic feet of foam for positive buoyancy (barely positive, since your safety factor is so small).

1800 lbs is a pretty big aluminum boat. Hopefully you have the space for that much foam :)

Erik

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's the way I figured mine... 1ea 22.5' aluminum boat, 2ea 1000 gph bilge pumps, 1ea boat insurance policy. If my boat takes on that much water that it sinks with the use of 2 1000 gph bilge pumps and 2 batteries. . . I'll swim to shore and call my insurance agent! :D

5 speed

btw. . . I'm not required to have foam because I'm in the 22' and over class

milmat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not so much "tipping over", but a major flooding, such as major hull damage or a drive bellows tearing on a I/O. It provides bouyancy in the boat so you have something to hold onto until help arrives, or perhaps you find the boat hanging by the ropes on your slip, and perhaps recover the boat.

Terry

Ok, Thanks for the Answer !!

I may have many Stupid Questions as I begin this ADDICTION !

62 pipestone

Seaman

so can the (great stuff) spray foam in a can that you git from the hardware store work.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

so can the (great stuff) spray foam in a can that you git from the hardware store work.

I wouldn't use it. It's a mess, it sticks to everything, and isn't particularly water resistant.

Ron Trapper

Seaman Apprentice

thanks Bob V the conduit will be thoughtfull when pouring

Ron Trapper

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the calculations erikgreen and the tips on the foam it will come in handy.What has better floation in the least amount of space styrofoam or poured foam ? If i had to fill a space of 5x5x5 which foam would produce greater results trapper ron

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

What has better flotation in the least amount of space styrofoam or poured foam ? If i had to fill a space of 5x5x5 which foam would produce greater results trapper ron

If you're talking about white styrofoam....I would avoid that. It soaks up water like a sponge. If it's a fairly rectangular area, you can't go wrong with the pink or blue sheet foam.

Bondo

Staff member

If i had to fill a space of 5x5x5 which foam would produce greater results

Ayuh,... Whichever foam is physically Lighter....

A 5x5x5 cube of Air will float the Most....
Then subtract the Weight of the Foam...

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thank you for using the search feature trapper ron.....

pour in form is a little more tricky to use.,.but its what the manufacturers use.....it also provides an anti crush value to the hull as well as sealing any big holes you get in the area under the foam

mikezohsix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bump

Ogden2

Cadet

Why do I have to pour the foam through drilled out holes in the deck? Can't I lay the deck down after I have poured the foam?

tpenfield

Staff member

old thread . . . do we have an epedemic on our hands?

Status
Not open for further replies.