J. Studebaker Boat ? A Rare Find

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdoug

Seaman Apprentice
Re: J. Studebaker Boat ? A Rare Find

Well, its good to see a few other boats like mine. Thanks for posting Daniel and Bud.

Doug

atomiton80

Recruit

Hi there, My father and I have a studebaker 14ft boat we picked up under an old boat house. I know little about the boat itself but would like to maybe swap some pics. Ours is a 1956 and the sticker you have is the same on ours. Our model is a 22. The sides of the boat are painted Studebaker "22" My email is EDIT . I would love to see more of your boat.
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

dl11

Recruit

Hi everyone, I live in Kansas and also have the same boat as Basher and Daniel I like it as well. I was told it was a 1959 14 ft. and has 1960 10 hp Johnson. I searched all over for more info, this is the only place I have found anything. Thanks for the info. I will try to get some pics. It's a great boat i take the outboard off some times and hit some big local ponds and it is also good at that if you have a decent place to back in. Good luck to everyone fishing.

bigdoug

Seaman Apprentice

@Basher 55

Did you figure out how to keep the bow down? I tell you what. I added the mahogany floor and two large marine batteries under the bow, and that has helped the boat stay steady and bow down. I now have a Johnson 18 hp from 1960 on it. It pushes me and the boat about 11-12 mph. I have fished like crazy from it and am really attached now. I to am think of starting a fishing guide service (part time). As you state it will be comfortable for one person with guide. I had some custom brackets made for the troll motor, and I have some custom aluminum letters being made for the side of the boat (Studebaker 1959).

I also found a trailer that fits the boat like a glove!!! Yeah.

PeculiarPainter

Recruit

Daniel, I had the same boat that you have pictured. I bought it in Kansas City about 23 years ago with a trailer for 550.00. I loved that boat and it was my first. When we moved to Atlanta I loaded it up in the back of a u-haul trailer and boat and took it with me. A couple years latter money was tight and kids needed school clothes so the wife sold it for 300.00. I was not happy about it but time were tuff. Mine had the same back sideways seats as your. Anyway, today i bought another one. But this one has three bench seats to it. It is beat up some but still no leaks. Paid 375.00 for it and a old homemade trailer. I will post pictures latter. These boats withstand anything you throw at them. My first one we throw off the side of a strip pit as we had no other way to get it in there. I was very young, about 24. Them we tied a rope on it a dragged it back up after fishing all day. Just glad to have another one here.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Big Doug - Cool boat you have there - I will be interested to see how that Shark Hyde works - keeps us up to speed with videos and pics. I have a Starcraft where i left the hull bare and would like to polish it without wearing out my elbows....not sure if that is possible.

I have seen Shark Hyde Cliff sprout up on other forums defending/promoting his products - I have not seen anyone replicate the results of their youtube website stuff though.....I have been waiting for someone to try it as i have been interested in trying it.

Keep up the updates!!

stude31

Recruit

Hi,

I just seen that Doug had this boat on craigslist and I sent him a message with some literature of his boat. His boat was built here in Topeka,Ks in the 50's (as mentioned). My grandfather John Studebaker and grandfather James Studebaker started out by building violet plant stands for my great grandmother and they loved to fish and decided to jump into building boats. Grandpa would select his welders by giving them one test, they had to be able to weld two pieces of aluminum foil together if they burnt a hole through the foil they failed. John Studebaker had five kids Johnny, Jimmy, Gary (my dad), Shirley, and Marilyn. Grandpa died in 1959 and the business stayed alive for a few more years and none of the kids were old enough to continue the business so they closed the doors in early 60's. Studebaker or Vio holda Studebaker had the diamond plate design patented and sold the patent to Kaiser Aluminum and that is how they got on the map. Studebaker boats were the first to use styrofoam under the seats to keep the boat from sinking if it capsized. I am 33 yrs old and the 9th generation of the studebaker family. It is truly an honor to carry this name and I have two studebaker cars myself and we do have a Studebaker boat as well.. It is the Studebaker 22, we have had it for about 20 years. Here is a link to my facebook page. I scanned all the brochures that I have and grandpa Paul's business card and name badge. I hope all of you enjoy the reading and if you have questions don't hesitate to ask. If I don't know I will ask my dad or uncles for the answer. My grandmother is still living and she is 86 yrs old.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.231731256851067.64400.100000425824512&l=0babd9fcf3

I enjoyed your video's Doug and I know my grandfather would be appreciative at the detail in cleaning the boat he made. Thank you...

Joe Studebaker
Topeka, KS

bigdoug

Seaman Apprentice

I just wanted to get some updated pics for those asking questions. I use the boat for fishing and so far this boat handles waves like a charm. The sharkhide has held up ok. I will probably need to re-coat soon. I'm open to other products to.

studebaker-boat-003-5x7-225.jpgstudebaker-boat-5x7-225px-c.jpgstudebaker-boat-004-5x7-225.jpgstudebaker-boat-002-5x7-225.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Boat is looking good. Nice looking power hanging off the back as well :D It's good to see you are getting some use out of the old gem.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I just wanted to get some updated pics for those asking questions. I use the boat for fishing and so far this boat handles waves like a charm. The sharkhide has held up ok. I will probably need to re-coat soon. I'm open to other products to.

View attachment 161620View attachment 161621View attachment 161622View attachment 161623

Rare and very nice. Why not include 4 pictures here starting out with the ugliest and the last being the nicest here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=568781

atomiton80

Recruit

I have a studebaker model22 from 1956 as well. Great little boat goes good with the feathercraft I have. Two little boat but completely different designs.

Attachments

• 48157_104920509648181_82559832_n.jpg
    48157_104920509648181_82559832_n.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 537548_104346116372287_283401812_n.jpg
    537548_104346116372287_283401812_n.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 3
  • feathercraft project 049.jpg
    feathercraft project 049.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 3

bigdoug

Seaman Apprentice

Holy cow! Sweet little Studebaker boat you got there my friend! It amazes me that there are more out there. I think that makes 7th that I know of still in existence.

Thanks for the post.

bigdoug

Seaman Apprentice

Boat is looking good. Nice looking power hanging off the back as well :D It's good to see you are getting some use out of the old gem.

I have been taking her out on Lake Erie, out of Ashtabula for perch fishing and have been caught out 2 miles in 4 footers lol. But this boat handles them well. Even a 5 foot roller here and there, and I am still amazed it does not take water from the side.

I have a bilge pump that has never been needed hahaha. But, I don't get to cocky with Erie. Once the 3 footers come in, I try to leave, but them perch just beg me to stay as they commit suicide. :)

bigdoug

Seaman Apprentice

Rare and very nice. Why not include 4 pictures here starting out with the ugliest and the last being the nicest here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=568781

Because she is still ugly..lol. Well, I only put about 70 hours of work and the pictures just don't do the boat justice. The videos I made on youtube of this boat say more than the pics. Bu thanks for the compliments. I Love This Boat.

Doug

spookml1

Recruit

Hello I have a studebaker 33 but can't find out how much they are worth. Do you have any idea? Thanks Mike

bigdoug

Seaman Apprentice

Mike. I insured mine for 11,000 US. The motor was 5,500 US. So the boat is worth less than six thousand. It would be hard to sell because it would have to go to a collector and I am not sure if anyone would be interested.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

bigdoug , I just stumbled on to your thread . I had no idea Studebaker made boats . Very cool !! My family had many Studebaker cars . I know its not boat related but here is a picture of my mothers 63 Avanti . She just sold it to a restorer . Hate to see it go but at least it will get brought back to life ..
DSC01057.jpg

Good luck and thanks for sharing your restoration!
SP..

bigdoug

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks SP. Very kool car there to. I know what you mean about the car. History is in these old classics.

Hardest thing was getting insurance. No one wants to insure the boat with a new engine...lol

Anyway, thank god for Hagerty Insurance. Them folks are the best.

River Saver

Recruit

I have one of these too. Manufactured in Topeka, KS in through the end of the sixties. Mine is a 1962 VIO HOLD
Very few were made with the bow covered. This was a way to s5ay in business during world war two. I wosh I knew more but the next time I go there I will check out the library... my dad way really proud of the being fully welded. Good luck

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Please start a thread with pictures of your Stude. This thread is a year old and should stay in the archives. And the OP's last post was about the same time, so wishing good luck falls on deaf ears. Please follow the rules you agreed to when joining. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.