West System resin vs Gluvit

becket

Cadet
Is West System resin a good substitute for Gluvit, when sealing seams and rivets? Haven't read much about it regarding seaming here, just good stuff about general marine resin use.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: West System resin vs Gluvit

I think what makes gluvit preferable is that it remains flexible. Less chance of it popping out in the future. I used gluvit on my project and it certainly seems to do what it's supposed to do well.

mikezohsix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Which West Systems epoxy are you talking about?
The regular 105 (not sure of the number), definately use Gluvit over that.

If you're talking about the G/Flex, I think you'll find the opinions here still favor the Gluvit. I asked a similar question and found Gluvit is the standard by which all others are measured.

I haven't used Gluvit yet, it's the next step in my project. I have used the G/Flex, and will offer an opinion after I've used both materials.

Anyone who offers an opinion and hasn't used both materials is speaking without all the facts - pretty common no matter what type of forum you're on. There's a lot of hear say that isn't backed up with first hand experience.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Anyone who offers an opinion and hasn't used both materials is speaking without all the facts - pretty common no matter what type of forum you're on. There's a lot of hear say that isn't backed up with first hand experience.

Wow, I fail to see where I was preaching a bunch of ill-informed half truths. In my first sentence I said "I think" and my last sentence was speaking of my personal experience with Gluvit.