• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Acetone vs. Lacquer Thinner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acetone vs. Lacquer Thinner

Why is Acetone used instead of Lacquer thinner for cleaning before glass layers?
    1968 22' Starcraft Islander Center Console conversion
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=351083

Re: Acetone vs. Lacquer Thinner

Originally posted by evildocrsx View Post
    Why is Acetone used instead of Lacquer thinner for cleaning before glass layers?
    Acetone cleans the surface. Lacquer thinner is used to remove really hard paint. Acetone is nowhere near as harsh on the surface being treated.
    "Something which threatens your life is a problem, everything else is an inconvenience."

Paul "Home Run" Richert
    21 January 1966 - 04 November 2005
    Rest in peace Brother

"The only easy day was yesterday" Unknown ***hole

68 Correct Craft Separator 290hp Holman and Moody 351
    73 Viking 33 twin 350hp Crusaders
    78 Starcraft Aluminum Deep Vee Walk-Thru 1995 48 Evinrude Special.

Comment

I would say the main reason is that when you're working with polyester resin acetone is never far away, so since its handy, it gets used.

Comment

So it won't damage the or weaken the fiberglass then?
        1968 22' Starcraft Islander Center Console conversion
        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=351083

Comment

i agree with Genonbamagirl lac thinner is 10-20- % acetone along with other Ingredients probably not needed for your app.
          lac thinner
          ACETONE; DIMETHYL KETONE (10-20%)
          TOLUENE (40-50%)
          PROPYLENEGLYCOL MONOMETHYL ETHER ACETATE, 1-METHOXY-2-PROPANOL ACETATE (1-5%)
          ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL (10-20%)
          PETROLEUM DISTILLATES (10-20%)
          Joe

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, DO NOT TAKE UP SKYDIVING

sigpic

Comment

Lacquer thinner is used for thinning lacquer based paints, and contains all necessary ingradients to do it so paint won't loose it's properties. Acetone is a pure solvent.

Comment

What about using M.E.K. as a cleaner???
              sigpic

1969 StarCraft Chieftain, 4.3 Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II

Link To Restoration Page

----------------------------------------------------

Its What I Don't Say You Should Be Worried About...

Comment

Most solvents aren't going to hurt the laminate and even if they possibly could it normally takes long term contact to do it. Methylene chloride would be the only one that can really dissolve cured polyester resin in a short period of time.

Each solvent has its good and bad points for cleaning the surface, so donít stress over it, I would say that most of the time I donít clean a freshly sanded surface with a solvent of any type, I just remove the dust with a rag, by blowing with compressed air, or with a vacuum.

Depending on the contaminate on the surface (if there even is one), the solvent used and the method you use to clean it, you may just be moving the contaminate around and spreading it to surfaces that were clean to start with.

Comment

I contacted Mas epoxy on this back when I was fairing the deck of our little cruiser. They recommended Lac thinner instead of acetone. It flashes off a little more slowly than acetone which allows you to use a second dry rag while cleaning. (two rag method) They also explained that Lac thinner itself is a little cleaner. They said acetone generally has more contaminates in it. (not sure what they base this on)
                  I use acetone most of the time for anything Polyester related. I have also used MEK. MEK works just like acetone except it dries off much more slowly than acetone. The problem with MEK is that it smells awful and is very strong. I ventilate the shop anytime I am using it even if I am using a respirator.
                  "Your results may vary"

Thundercraft in Progress
                  http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=287390

Tri-hull Wiring
                  http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=448376

Comment

Originally posted by Alpheus View Post
                    What about using M.E.K. as a cleaner???
                    Bad idea. I'm going to assume you mean MEK, and not MEKP (MEKP is the poly resin catalyst, and is different from MEK in every way but the name).

Here's the emergency overview from the MSDS:

Appearance: colorless liquid. Flash Point: -7 deg C. Danger! May cause
                    respiratory tract irritation. May cause severe eye and skin irritation with possible
                    burns. May cause fetal effects. May cause central nervous system effects.
                    Extremely flammable liquid and vapor. Vapor may cause flash fire.
                    Target Organs: Central nervous system, eyes, skin, mucous membranes.

Basically the stuff is ridiculously flammable and you should wear a respirator to work with it. Cleaning a whole boat with it near griding, tools, or sparks of any kind is a recipe for an explosion and fire.

Erik
                    Sea Ray SRV-210 - Winter refit
                    75-85 foot displacement hull trawler - gleam in my eye

Comment

Good to know. I have been using it in small amounts. I guarantee you wont want to use it to clean a big area. It is very strong.
                      "Your results may vary"

Thundercraft in Progress
                      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=287390

Tri-hull Wiring
                      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=448376

Comment

Originally posted by erikgreen View Post
                        Bad idea. I'm going to assume you mean MEK, and not MEKP (MEKP is the poly resin catalyst, and is different from MEK in every way but the name).

Here's the emergency overview from the MSDS:

Appearance: colorless liquid. Flash Point: -7 deg C. Danger! May cause
                        respiratory tract irritation. May cause severe eye and skin irritation with possible
                        burns. May cause fetal effects. May cause central nervous system effects.
                        Extremely flammable liquid and vapor. Vapor may cause flash fire.
                        Target Organs: Central nervous system, eyes, skin, mucous membranes.

Basically the stuff is ridiculously flammable and you should wear a respirator to work with it. Cleaning a whole boat with it near griding, tools, or sparks of any kind is a recipe for an explosion and fire.

Erik
                        Almost all of the solvents carry the same, or similar warning, none are considered safe, so large scale solvent wipes aren't normally done.

Comment

If someone wants to get bent out of shape over the flashpoint of a compound, wrap your mind around this:

flash point of acetone = -18C

lacquer thinner is a (non-specific) mixture, so its FP will vary based on composition, but is typically in the vicinity of -5C to -15C

Comment

Working...
                          X