1961 Crosby Runabout

61crosby

Cadet
Over the last few years, I worked as a dock hand during my summer breaks in high school. Last year, I was talking with a boater at the fuel dock about how i would love to have a little runabout project. He then offered me a 1961 Crosby runabout for FREE! The boat needed A LOT of work, but I couldn't beat the price. It has been the best tip I have gotten there in all my years on the fuel dock.

I wish I had thought to take pictures when I first got it. I was too excited to get started and get out on the water. This is her now, she has an Evinrude Lark III 40HP outboard.

1127090813.jpg

1127090814.jpg

When I first got the boat, the engine actually ran! Pretty good after setting for over ten years. There was a rat's nest that had to be removed and the fuel/oils replaced but that was all. We put it in a dip tank and she fired up after a little tweaking. I had some of the mechanics test the compression for me, it wasn't the greatest but I was happy it was running. (I think it was around 90 something, the mechanics said I would be good with over 80). The paint was almost completely gone from the cowling so I painted it with some OMC paint my boss gave me. (Bonus of working at a marina I guess). It originally had a red trim and I plan to restore it. These are both recent pictures as well, as you can see I NEED a new propeller.

0613091505a.jpg

1127090815a.jpg

0524090813.jpg

I also wanted to note that I think I found a propeller through iboats for under $100. The next cheapest propeller I found was $145 and that was with my employee discount at the marina. Thanks iboats.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1961 Crosby Runabout

Welcome to iboats.

Sounds like a great boat and it has a great story attached. :D

61crosby

Cadet

After realizing the boat would definitely run, my dad and I rewired most of the electrical system. After that, the real fun began: fiberglass repairs. The 1/2" plywood floor installed in 1961 didn't quite stand the test of time. In other words, it was basically non existent. I took a few different power tools and the floor was gone in an instant, leaving nothing but the stringers. The outside structure and stringers were in surprisingly good shape. All we had to do was replace the floor. After hours and hours of applying fabric, resin, sanding, sanding, and sanding, (notice the emphasis on sanding, fiberglass is very itchy) we were done the floor. It was definitely a learning experience and I had fun. It was my first experience with fiberglass and hopefully my last. Now I must state: I plan on doing more work to the aesthetics of the boat, but at the time I just wanted to get the boat into the water. So, it may not be the prettiest boat, but it is safe and works. (Well worked for three months, I'll explain that later). This is a picture of the bench seat being installed and a picture of the floor after she was launched and in the water.

0913081345a.jpg

0701090720a.jpg

61crosby

Cadet

So, the boat was mechanically and structurally sound, for now. I wish I had taken more pictures to show the full process. I was given the boat in August 2008 and worked on it over the winter. Between school and sports, I only touched the boat on weekends. It was June 2009 when we launched her. She ran like a champ for June, July, and most of August. I took her out at least once a week with friends and had a lot of fun. When I tried to start her one day, she cranked over but would not start. I plan on replacing the points, condenser, and reed (leaf) valves. Hopefully, this solves it. These are pictures from the maiden voyage:

0917081732a.jpg

0917081732b.jpg

0917081755a.jpg

This was our first setup. We later rigged a pulley system which worked much better.

Now, I plan to begin working on her again soon. I am away at college currently, missing the water a lot. Hopefully over winter break, I will be able to replace the propeller and find a solution to my engine problems. In addition, I plan to make the boat more aesthetically pleasing, try to do something with the floor and inside walls.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Really sharp looking classic ride. Is the windshield original? If so, it's in phenomenal shape. Good luck with it.

61crosby

Cadet

Yes, that is the original windshield. Another bonus of working at a marina is that I have access to a lot of information and the tools to utilize that information. Our fiberglass repair guy told me about a bucket compound (it comes in a 5 gallon bucket) that will restore just about anything made of fiberglass or plexiglas. I took a buffer and some of that bucket compound and the results were phenomenal. It took a couple hours of reapplying and going at it with a low rpm on the buffer but it was definitely worth it.

61crosby

Cadet

Thanks guys. Any suggestions on what to do with the floor. The fiberglass look isn't so appealing. A few suggestions I've received so far: paint it or carpet it. Any other ideas?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

i had carpet in my last boat. Hated it. It was always filthy. One time stepping into it from the ground was enough to make it look bad. I'd go with either a rubberized non-slip floor covering product like Durabak (Overtons has a similar product under their own brand) or marine vinyl. I'm currently torn on which I'n going to use on my project.

61crosby

Cadet

i had carpet in my last boat. Hated it. It was always filthy. One time stepping into it from the ground was enough to make it look bad. I'd go with either a rubberized non-slip floor covering product like Durabak (Overtons has a similar product under their own brand) or marine vinyl. I'm currently torn on which I'n going to use on my project.

Thanks for the suggestions. I took a look at your projects (very nice Star Crafts btw) and see what you mean about the carpeting. Even if you had switched the blue and grey, the dirt would always be there. I cleaned boats when I wasn't working the fuel dock, somehow boats attract dirt and spiders like nothing else. I never thought about a product like Durabrak, let me know what you decide. Do you know of anyone who has used it? I was trying to find images of it in boats but had no luck.

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great looking little boat...

Use her till you have to rebuild her I say.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would Paint the Floor Black, lay a Slatted Mahogany Wood deck, with three coats of Epoxy resin, sprinkle some sand on the last coad for a non skid finish and finish the interior sides in Mahogany plywood. .

Postmarc

Cadet

Are you sure about that outboard year? The '61 Lark III cowling is much different than your great pix. Love the tale, even moreso the price! Great little boat you have...

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

sweet ride! great resto job....

the slat wood deck over top of that glass would look sweet! I used CEDAR from HD in my boat, with spar matte urethane....holding up nice.
if you paint the deck, it will also get dirty quick...either way great job and next boat post some PRE pics for sure PAT ON THE BACk you are a HS kid with adult mindset...you will go far in life I am sure of it! :D

61crosby

Cadet

Are you sure about that outboard year? The '61 Lark III cowling is much different than your great pix. Love the tale, even moreso the price! Great little boat you have...

I am not absolutely positive of the year, the registration that came with it says 1961 but when looking up parts everyone told me the model number is for a '63.

61crosby

Cadet

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I'm investigating the prices of the slatted wood vs. using a product like durabak while taking into account which one will look better.

After my first year of college, I had to work my entire summer and unfortunately had no time (or money!) for fixing/restoring the old girl. The poor boat just sat in storage the whole summer.

I have a month off between semesters soon and plan on working on her then. Hopefully, we can get the flywheel off and replace the condenser, reef valves, and the points since I bought the parts already. It should fix engine issues. We've tried getting the flywheel off before only to bend the puller, hopefully it'll go better this time. I also want to look into filling the inner hull with foam to help improve the buoyancy (and legality) of the boat. Then, replacing the floor, again.

I will remember to take before pics this time.

^^^nice Crosby!!!! It's very rare to see a non "sled" one!

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Major props on the restoration man. I too am a student, currently a senior in HS, and every chance I get I am spending time working on a motor or a boat of mine.
For the floor on my Mark Twain, I am painting it and using some non-skid additive I got from Lowes. I have already started applying the primer, but got held up after motor repairs. Now, I'm back on with the cosmetic aspect of the rebuild. The link to the restore I am referrring to is in my signature.
Good luck!