No room to install a bilge pump!

Three08

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I've been lurking around for awhile now soaking up all the fantastic information in the forums.

Anyway I recently bought my fist boat, an old 1970's runabout and I've been slowly restoring it and getting it ready for the water. I came across a bit of an issue with the bilge pump today.
I opened up the floor (was rock solid) and installed an access hatch ready to put in a pump next week, at least that was the plan. That went well, the hatch is in, the problem is there's only about 4" or 10cm clearance between the bottom of the boat and the deck. My understanding of the safety rules here in Victoria (Australia) is that I'm required to have a bilge pump by law in any boat that has a floor, so what are my options here?
Should I shop around for a low profile pump that will fit in that tinny space or should I cut another hole in the deck and build a box up around it above the floor to house the pump? Manual pump maybe?

Here is a quote of the regulations regarding bilge pumps

Electric or manual bilge pumping system
(if vessel has covered bilge or closed underfloor compartments)
Am I misunderstanding this regulation? In any case I really do want a bilge pumping system of some sort in there.

There's some pictures at shareaproject.com (see link bellow) I haven't had the chance to add any of the bilge yet, but at the deepest point the is about 4" or 10cm slopping down to about 2" or 5cm I can only just fit my hand in there!

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,544,00.html

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: No room to install a bilge pump!

Ayuh,... Put the bilgepump in the square hole just aft of the hole you cut,+ covered...

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree install the pump in the hole square near the transom thats where it will do the most good. The hole you made is a great inspection port to see if you ever get water below the floor which if the floor is sealed you shouldnt. It also lets you have a way to get air in there to dry up any moisture if you do get moisture in the area below the deck. The pump will do the most good in the square hole is my opinion. Carry a manual pump if you ever need to pump out below the floor and it appears you will be all legal now because you made access to do that

Three08

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the advice guy's. I'll install one in that square section, that's were the plug is so all the water drains to there anyway. I might look at carrying a spare pump that can be used with the access hatch opened just in case of emergency's. There was a little water in there when I opened it up, I'm not sure where it came from, but I did do some repairs to the keel so hopefully that's where it came from and the issue is taken care of, but I'll be keeping a close eye on it.