Do you need an Aluminum Cap on Transom

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
I was reading someones thread about replacing the aluminum cap on their transom and it brought to mind my own restore. My question is do you have to have an aluminum cap, or can you round the edges and glass the heck out of it? The cap on mine was junk, severely corroded, when I glassed in the transom I used a round over bit on my router then glassed it using 1708 to seal it.
is this enough or does it still need the cap for protection my OB does hang off of it. I was just thinking of bending up a piece of 18ga SS for where the engine sits if needed.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Do you need an Aluminum Cap on Transom

Have you seen what I did on my 14' V-bottom.....

DSCN5166.jpg

DSCN5523-1.jpg

A few cuts in a 2" piece of aluminum angle (home depot) and a rubber mallet to form the curves in place, sealed with 3m 5200. It was very tight along the outer transom seam which I sealed with 5200

Hard to see in the bottom (after) photo since I had painted it..... but you get the idea.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice work Bob. HVAC, I can't imagine why you'd NEED aluminum up there. I'm sure glass will be fine. Probably look pretty cool tool.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was planning on not using the aluminum cap either and just glassing it. I believe this is where the water entered my transom.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Bob,
I did see it, after seeing what you did I was gonna take your lead and do the same. I have a tons of 6061-t6 aluminum angle I use it in my business to make solar collector frames. I figured I would mig the cuts for the bends,grind and polish them off. It being aircraft quality AL it would be a little more resistant to the salt water. When I pulled mine off all the transom wood underneath was rotted from it not being sealed properly and water getting in the screw holes. I guess what I'm asking is is the cap really needed for protection, would a good glass job suffice, or would the edge get banged up to the point it starts letting water in although I can't see how?

Regards,
Bill

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The problem is when the original transoms are installed they are done quickly and the "end grains" are not sealed tight. I used fiberglass resin followed by a smear coat of 5200 and then a bead of 5200. I think the old caps would trap water and allow it to infiltrate the wood...... leading to rot.

By far a rebuild will always be better sealed and outlast the original.

This is the original 1963 transom dood and this is the side that faced the aluminum :eek:
DSCN5148.jpg

Hi, I'm the one who is looking for the aluminum cap, I know I don't need it but wanted to replace it for the original cosmetic apperance. I have sealed the plywood with epoxy resin but I'm not good enough with glass to make a good looking cap.Just thought some one some where would know where to purchase it. I assume the boat manufactures make there own but if you call them you usually get the reply,if you get one at all,see your dealer,the dealer says call the factory.Thankyou,Paul.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hi, I'm the one who is looking for the aluminum cap, I know I don't need it but wanted to replace it for the original cosmetic apperance. I have sealed the plywood with epoxy resin but I'm not good enough with glass to make a good looking cap.Just thought some one some where would know where to purchase it. I assume the boat manufactures make there own but if you call them you usually get the reply,if you get one at all,see your dealer,the dealer says call the factory.Thankyou,Paul.

Hi Paul, I'm new to boat restoration itself, reading your question got me thinking of my own dilemma with the aluminum cap on my boat and whether or not its actually needed aside from aesthetics. Before I left it off and found out later I shouldn't have I figured I would ask. I looked at Arks post and the link he put up thats probably the closest your going to find to orig. if you can't get it from the manufacturer. Even with replacing your cap you are still going to need to make sure the wood is properly sealed. I would use Bobs method of 3m 5200.

In my case the manufacturer is not an option Cruisers Inc. has stopped building smaller boats and now only makes yachts. I'm pretty decent with fiberglass and seeing I'm not going to get it to look original I might just to forgo putting one on seeing its not really needed. I will figure it out after the rest of the boat is finished and back together and see how it looks without it.
In my younger days I was able to form ribs for airplane wings from sheet aluminum with nothing more than a wood form and a mallet. But I'm not as young nor do have have the patience for that anymore not to have stress cracks lol

Bill, my boat is aluminum and the wood transom is sandwiched between aluminum on the outside of the stern and on the inside of the stern so fiberglas just wouldn't look right.Sea Nymph is also out of business so I will probably try the aluminum angle.I am not new to restoration as I have three Starcrafts at my summer home in Maine,A21 Cheftain,18 Holiday,and a 16 supersport.The 21 is almost completed,the 18 is waiting and the 16 is done.I am 70 years old sothe question is will I make it long enough,Ha,Ha.those Starcrafts are in my blood,I bought my first one in 1966 and have had about 15 of them so far,Regards,Paul