Sterncraft model 15 stick steer? and refurb

Thwoodrow

Recruit
Hello, I too am new to boats and restorations just like to tear things and up and rebuild them. If you use the word deck on google I come up with docks not decks so....I have just acquired a sterncraft model 15(thought was model 177b but was mistaken) It hasn't been titled or registered in several years has a merc 500 on the back have been able to verify not stolen from registered owners but both the boat and motor owner claimed to have sold it several years ago( motor owner passed away and kids sold it, said dad was great with engines and it ran but that was 4 years ago) I am trying to find out about polymer deck materials and truckliner for deck instead of carpet. Is just a little 15' er with stick steer also thinking of moving in controls to accomidate for light switches and tilt trim next to the throttle instead of beside and to the front of throttle...if possible. Another thing unsure of is how to install post seats into the deck? is there anything special I need to know??? Hoping when done can take my 6 year old out. My 15 year old son auto shop teacher said bring it to him and he and the students will look at the engine for me, just bring "mufflins". He may even be able to help rewire lights for me. Would love led for bow lights but all I have seen are single units and this boat has two single units on port and starbord side of trolling motor. So...If anyone can tell me or even better has photo of sterncraft model 15 year 1972, experience with polymer deck material or truck bedliner material, or stick steer modifications (saw a warcraft with sticksteer with the wedge to captains seat) or how to install post seats in a new deck it would be great. Just planning for now but gotta start with plan to see what will cost. Then see about suppliers, techniques including the gauges and gps-maybe. Oh yeah is fiberglass hull.
Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Sterncraft model 15 stick steer? and refurb

Welcome to iboats.

First thing on the list would be to figure out the balance of the boat. Pedestal seating is nice but, you must use caution in not placing them to high where it creates a very tippy problem. A good test would be to used milk crates while on the water.....prepare to get wet ;) Test the limits of the hull.

I have no idea what hull design you have now a few pictures would help. Tri-hull, V-hull Semi V would all have an impact on seat placement.

Tashasdaddy had a stick steering set-up on a boat with a small outboard. He also had his switches located on a panel he installed. Very doable plans.

As far as deck materials for deck covering..... there are many. Vinyl, carpet, marine paint with non slip additive (Cheapest), durabak which some members have had great luck with. At this point in time many people in the past had tried and were not happy with bed-liner.

What kind of shape is the hull in? What about floatation? Is there any? Is it waterlogged?

I know ton's of questions but all achievable stuff. Once again welcome!

Thwoodrow

Recruit
Re: Sterncraft model 15 stick steer? and refurb

Thanks for the input....I will try to get some pictures is just a small bass boat. I was given it by a neighbor who didn't have any paperwork...first and foremost get papers in Texas. Found engine is titled to one owner (deceased) and the boat another (left at home had moved out of about 4 years ago and landlord had given it away before was able to get back to retrieve it. fortunately had just bought another boat and had been given this one afew years earlier.) Both are working to get papers together so I can get clear title. It is a semi-v the deck needs to be redone definately very soft. When got the paperwork signed to get replacement title before I cab get the title transfered to me--Dont understand if you have a bill of sale executed by previous owner why do you have to get a title to just retitle it--Sorry side tracked, he said it ran great but deck was soft then his son-in-law and he had redone the carpet but not the deck and installed the lights the had found from an obsolete boat salvage yard. But every time it was out bilge pump worked ,was solid transom still learning to check that, strong engine but no racer wold only go about 25mph on the water (not sure what nautical equivilant would be..knots I believe is the term but not sure on small open watercraft) bottom need to be recoated has scuffs but no areas I can see that are scratched deep through the gelcoat only the bottompaint. I saw the durabak site and was interested in both the smooth finish for the bottom and the no-skid for the deck. been out of the water probably since moved four years ago so except for rain, which drained for the most part with no problems, should be waterlogged if not dry rotted though. Did state there was an issue with one of the hydrolics leaking used on the tilt and trim but thinks it was a seal. Thanks again for the assistance being my first boat but one who loves to tinker any help and input is appreciated.

Thanks