1960 Arkansas Traveler Saturn

Donkey

Seaman Apprentice
Hey people. So I just bought my first boat and obviously have some work to do on this almost 50 year old boat but not a bad deal for $50. The hull is solid and the engine is said to be in working order. I am in the process of preparing the engine for its first startup in about 15 years and it looks to be in fine order. I am trying to find information on the engine but it has proved to be quite a challenge. From what I have gathered, it is a Volvo Penta 9440 with a Penta PZ outdrive.
Where can I go for basic "boating for dummies" information? What should I know about owning and maintaining my own boat and trailer? I am excited to get it running and take it for a test "float" this weekend provided the engine proves worthy. Thanks for any information that may be available. I think

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1960 Arkansas Traveler Saturn

You have to be a paid member for that info!

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Just kidding of course. For information on your boat itself and how to do repairs, you are at the right spot. The local library usually has some good books to read up on also.

How strong is your deck (floor) and transom? Any soft spots in the floor usually is a bad sign that indicates rot in the deck and stringers. If that is the case, the transom usually needs replaced, but not always. Be sure to check for any gouges or holes in the hull and keep an eye on the bilge while on the water for any water intrusion.

I don't know much about motors other then taking to a mechanic so I'm not much help there.

Donkey

Seaman Apprentice

You got me there. I was thinking "Crap... hope my wife doesn't find out how about this subscription. Anyhow, I turned the engine over tonight but I have one freeze plug to replace. I wonder if there is a fuel pump that needs to be in the tank because it didn't seem like the carbs were getting fuel but there are no wires going to the tank so I am not sure about that. The floor seems solid and I have to look up and find out what a transom is. The only rotten part that I can see is the seat deck which is small and easy to replace.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 0

Donkey

Seaman Apprentice

Is there anybody out there that owns one of these motors or outdrives? What kind of oil goes in the outdrive 90WT?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 0

Donkey

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks EZ. I really like the restoration of the '66. Very nice!

Donkey

Seaman Apprentice
1960 Arkansas Traveler Saturn

I am finally able to get started on this project. I restored the dash panel to get some motivation going and I am quite pleased with how well it turned out. I hope the rest of the boat comes out in similar fashion. I think I will start painting sometime next week after I do some glass work to get the new windshield in, patch some holes and other hull repair.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01528.jpg
    DSC01528.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 0

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey Donkey! Nice to see another Traveler on this forum. I have a 61 or 62 AT Skijack that I have been restoring for the past 4-5 months- you can check out my thread below. Hopefully your stringers, deck, and transom are not in as bad a shape as mine were. My AT was/is a total restore:D

Good Luck

Donkey

Seaman Apprentice

So, Im gonna give this a shot. I want to post better images here so I am gonna try and do it with my MobileMe account. Here is a link to all of the pictures that I have of the boat.

If it works, this is an example of the poorly maintained wiring job.

DSC02155.jpg

Because I am sure it won't work, here is a link to the picture.

http://gallery.me.com/anthonyarh#100353/DSC02155

anthonyarh

Donkey

Seaman Apprentice

Looks like I have to go PhotoBucket

Donkey

Seaman Apprentice

So today left me with a good and accomplished feeling. My in-laws own a house two houses up the road from me. They rent it out until the move into it for retirement. It became empty about a week ago since other family will be moving in in a few more weeks. Anyhow, I have a nice, clean, two-car, HEATED garage all to me and the AT.

This morning I hooker her up to the Disco and piled all of my tools into it and drove up the street. I backed her in and got things situated.

It's been raining for the past five days or so and a little water made it in through the tarp. No problem though. I just cranked the heater up to 70 and she was drying while I went to HD and other places for supplies.

I started making the cradle today while the boys ran around and collected rocks and brought buckets full to me as i worked. Gonna put it on six sets of casters to move it easily if I need to. Once I get her transferred, I'm gonna get to framing in a base for the new windshield I got from a late 80's Blue Water I think it was.

Found a place in Salem and will probably get the paint sometime by the end of next week after all of the hull work is done and is curing for a day or so. I AM SO EXCITED!!

Here are some pics that I took with my fishing camera.

101_0031.jpg

101_0032.jpg

101_0033.jpg

101_0034.jpg

101_0035.jpg

101_0036.jpg

mattve

Recruit

Donkey,
How are you coming on the Traveler? Interested in your progress. My folks have the same boat (theirs is a blue deck and motor cover, and could be a different year.). I'm half tempted to pull her out and get her seaworthy again. My dad is the one owner... now 80 years old. Garage stored for all these years.

The floor and stringers rotted out, and he's never completed the job (80% complete). He also re-powered the unit years ago, swapping the volvo for an omc. The Volvo ran strong on the Mississippi river, but never really had the poop for the altitude when our family moved to the mountain west back in the early 70's.

About the only thing to do on the foor is re-shoot it with gelcoat with the webbing (splatters) like the original. That's really the only thing from keeping her from the water...

Saw a boat project on the internet several years back where a guy had re-done a boat interior, and re-gelcoated with a webbing additive. He said it was super easy, as there is really no finish work involved... it's a rough kind of orange-pealy kind of finish anyway.

If I figure out the recipe, I'll probably finish her up for the old boy.