What type of paint over west system

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm in the process of making a new swim platform.I'm going to seal the wood with west system resin. Which type of paint adheres the best to this resin? Also what can be added to make it not so slippery and easy on the feet?

drewpster

Commander
Re: What type of paint over west system

You might want to consider using a light cloth along with the resin to help seal the water out. The cloth will hold the resin together much better than resin alone. FYI- I know you did not ask about that. :redface:

Personally I would use only two-part polyurethane marine paint. As long as the surface is prepped properly getting the paint to bond wont be an issue. The issue will be water immersion. If your platform is going on a trailered boat the paint should hold up for a good long time. If your boat lives in a slip and the platform is contact with the water, all bets are off. I do not know of a paint that is recommended for constant emersion. Swimming pool paint maybe? (colors very limited)
Any paint you use should have a non-skid additive you can use to make it less slippery. In my experience the finer non-skids work as good as coarse sand. Some folks like to use sand in the paint. This will work but sand does not bond well with paint and can come off. Paint additive non-skid is made to bond with the paint and stay on.

wizbang 13

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What type of paint over west system

I have had good luck with interlux 404/414 epoxe barriercote. It is good above and below wl. The 2333n thinner is very smelly. This is an undercoat between the west and a 1 or 2 part urethane top coat.