18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Swap the windsheilds before ya sell the Jup!!!
lol

Kev the Jup windshield would be too low for the SS. It would look like CBG's did when he dragged it home.

Rickairmedic

Commander

EZ stick to your guns that $2000 will do well to fix up the new toy and The Jupiter is well worth it . Hopefully the looker will see this monday and you will come home with a :D Fat Stack and he will go home with a Nice boat ( and an Invite to TinStock :D.) Oh yeah and yes I noticed the Stripes on the SS real quick ;).

Rick

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I washed the SS tonight. I scrubbed the top sides real well and it came out much better looking. A little buff and polish and it should really clean up nicely. This "temporary" paint job should be a lot easier to live with than the Jupiter's band-aid color was :) I had thought the transducer for the fish finder I was given was broken off but found another one mounted underneath the swim platform. So that just may work after all!

Rain this evening but then a nice couple of days. That should hopefully allow me to get a good start on my (house) deck staining project which when finished will allow me to get started on the SS. I will switch the positions of the SS and Jupiter this weekend to get the SS in the garage and Jupiter ready to head to river on Monday.

Rickairmedic

Commander

EZ good to hear the topside paint is cleaning up and LOL I have done the ( boat shuffle ) a few times now actually gotten pretty good at it even flipping the multi ball hitch to the right ball for the boat I am moving ROFLMAO.

Rick

bryanwess2000

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great find EZ, I hope to find one, but there's not many in the south. Good
luck with your sale although I would suggest holding on to your jupiter till spring if possible to get a few more $'s. This would also make you not be in such a hurry to complete the ss so you can take your time and create the exact layout you want.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The Jupiter sold for $2100 on Saturday. I'm definitely sad that it's gone. However, I will probably get to see it as its new owner boats on one of the same bodies of water I do.

I just now ordered $1000 worth of seats for the SS from iboats!

2 of these http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/view/3/7/wd805p-1_555_grey_blue_2.jpg

2 of these http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/view/3/7/wd1610p_555_grey_blue_11.jpg

and 2 of these http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/view/3/7/wd466_555_grey_blue_23.jpg

I am still hoping to splash it once before I tear it apart but we'll see if the weather cooperates.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Just put in for a half day off work on Wednesday. Weather forecast is gorgeous so I think the old man and I will take her down for test run.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Good deal EZ will look forward to hearing about you and dads day out in chat on wed night :D.

Rick

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

SUCCESS!!!!! We had a great first run with just a few issues. My wife was able to get off work and join my dad and I which was great. Everyone loves the boat and was happy with its performance. Bullet points:

Good:
- Motor starts from cold practically instantly. The primer system is clearly better than the choke on my '73

- Motor runs great at speed, quick smooth acceleration

- Boat goes great with the 90HP. Better than I thought it would. 39MPH GPS!!!!

- Boat planes really well. It glides on the water. It produces practically NO wake

- Original Starcraft speedo works and is surprisingly accurate.

- Riding up in the bow is great

- little to no taking on of water

Bad:
- Motor has some sort of fuel delivery issue. It conks out when being put into forward. It is currently VERY difficult to get past this and get it into gear and moving. Possibly dirty carbs or bad fuel pump maybe? The strange thing is it can idle very nice and low in gear with no coughing or sneezing. So it may be a linkage and/or timing advance issue. I'll have to put up a post in the J/E section. This almost ended our day before it began but after much messing with it, I was able to get it thrown into gear and out of hole. Had a similar problem both times I restarted it after stopping. It runs GREAT other than this. (Much like my Johnson, darn it)

- I have clearly not yet mastered power trim

Couple of pics and video to follow

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Boat at the dock. The river was really high today from all the rain we've had:
dana_dad_dock.jpg

My dad driving and dana in the passenger "camp chair" :)
dad_driving_dana.jpg

It was a beautiful day. Warm and absolutely 0 wind:
river.jpg

river2.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

very nice!!

Rickairmedic

Commander

EZ good to see the New toy out there makin waves :D. Glad you and the crew had a good day on the water despite the problems .

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Wow..sweet Ez..
39 mph is dang good! Ya think of running some sea-foam through her?

Very happy for ya!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys. Kev, the tank I ran through her today had been SeaFoamed.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats EZ, sweet looking ride. But I sense the trains will be a tad jealous this winter :D...cool vids I almost forgot what it looks like being on the water...Enjoy!

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the resto over, or is it barely starting? :confused:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Barely starting. I wanted to see what I had before I tore it apart and rebuilt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.