18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Just picked up a new project. I'm really excited about it because an 18' open bow aluminum Starcraft is the hull I really wanted. I think I got a fantastic deal on it. The hull is in great shape, the trailer is in great shape except for some minor things, and best of all, the 1981 Evinrude 90 RUNS and the power tilt & trim works flawlessly. I've been wanting TnT for years but adding it to my old Johnson was cost prohibitive. The boat came with some nice extras like awesome guide-ons on the trailer which should make loading a breeze and also a cool teak swim platform that I think will clean up nicely. The transom on the boat is solid. The floors are springy but solid although I'm still planning on replacing them. Basically, if this thing had some seats in it, it would be completely usable as-is! But that's not the plan. The seller had it listed for $1800. I offered $1000 and he accepted. I would have been willing to go the full $1800 but for that price I would have wanted to do some tests on the motor. Now for some pics:

DSCF2140.jpg

DSCF2139.jpg

DSCF2137.jpg

DSCF2146.jpg

DSCF2148.jpg

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Although I'm not a big fan of the color, the paint is in decent shape. With a little washing and buffing it should clean up nice. So, with that in mind, I think I will do and inside-out restoration like I did with my Jupiter. My plan for the interior is to copy a number of the design features from a 2010 Starcraft Superfisherman http://www.starcraftmarine.com/Show...Type=Aluminum&Series=Superfisherman&Model=180 I think it's interesting that after looking at all the new aluminum boats available right now for some interior ideas....the boat I like the best, by far, is a Starcraft. I plan to try to mimic their design in the bow and the stern. I'll be using lounge seats in the middle instead of pedastals. Right now I'm leaning towards this seating group from iboats: http://www.iboats.com/Fishing_Chair...9838710--**********.735967917--view_id.394390 I'd like to get 2 loungers, 2 jump seats, and 2 pedastal fishing chairs which I will make removable. I'd like to canabalize the jump seats into flip up seating in the stern like in the new Superfisherman. Those are my ideas for now. I haven't really started on the restore yet unless you count playing matchbox cars in the boat with my son last night for an hour :)

My Jupiter is currently on Craigslist though the thought of selling it makes me ill. But two boats in the same general genre really isn't practical.

Huron Angler

Admiral

EZ congrats on the new rig:D

How nice to have the trim/tilt, and the swim platform will be great, I'd love to be able to use one as a casting deck off the stern when I get my SC...are you going to mount your favorite swim ladder on the platform or does it stay with the Jupiter?

I can't see the pics from work(big brother is watching)...but it looks great in my imagination:rolleyes:

What's hilarious is I was checking out the York craigslist for a new iboats member that's looking for a 4-6hp outboard and of course couldn't resist checking out a Jupiter listed for sale...I immediately recognized your profile pic and was shocked that it's for sale:eek

Then I realized that Rick wasn't joking about you buying an SS and thought..."where is EZ's resto thread then???" You must have been typing it as I was checking the SC forum for it, cause here it is:D

Glad to know the search is over and I know you will take good care of the SS:D

BTW my 4-year-old son loves playing Matchbox/Hot Wheels with a passion so I know where you're coming from:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks HA. I can only imagine your shock and despair when you saw my Jupiter for sale and didn't know I had gotten an SS :) The swim platform on the SS has an integrated single step ladder so my favorite homemade swim ladder can accompany the Jupiter to its new owner.

My 2 year old was, more specifically, playing with diecasts of various scales of the characters from the Cars movie. The movie he wants to watch EVERY day!!!!

Rickairmedic

Commander

EZ good to see you got a thread started and I'll be there is a seat in the new boat so water testing this weekend ( after the deck is sealed :D ) should go pretty easy other than SWMBO's lawnchair flipping backwards when ya nail the throttle :D.

Rick

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I am curious about the year of the boat..... hmmm 18'r....... I am a bit jealous but that is light years away from mine right now.

I was considering a paint scheme similar with a gray bottom and these pictures have helped.

Where is the fuel tank fill? I see you are missing the side boards but you know they are easy to make.

Now if we can find a supplier for those flat folding jump seats like in the new ones ;)

Huron Angler

Admiral

My 2 year old was, more specifically, playing with diecasts of various scales of the characters from the Cars movie. The movie he wants to watch EVERY day!!!!

Been there...done that:) We have those vehicles as well as over 100 matchbox/hotwheels cars, some of which were mine as a kid and are over 30 years old. The new ones are partially plastic, the old all metal and durable(like my '55 Johnson;)).

My older son stopped wanting to watch Cars twice a day when he turned 3, now he wants to play outside and ride his new bike 24/7:D

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

congrats on finally getting YOUR ss ez ...lol i love that swim platform. im gonna have to find one like that for mine. yours will be finished way ahead of mine lol

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

i have a ss and want a removable casting deck any ideas on how to go about it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Bob, the boat is a 1976.

Bigski, where do you want the platform? bow or stern? I really like Starcraft's idea for the bow platform.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ahhhhhh..Another dream is fullfilled!!!!

Ez..Ya know that I am happier than anybody for ya!!!
I know it's difficult to put the Jupiter on the block..

But I bet the first trip out in that SS will go a looong way towards recovery!

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Yes EZ good find looks good glad to hear the motor is fine and all. Not a whole lot to do there.
Where is the fuel tank fill?
It's one step down on the splash well at least that's where it is on my 21'er I suspect his is same place(see hose going up)as mine.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

bow platform as mine is a i/o, i also like another i saw that had three seat plates up front side by side. but i would like a closer look at the new design.
castingdeck.jpg

castingdeck2.jpg

scipper77

Commander

bow platform as mine is a i/o, i also like another i saw that had three seat plates up front side by side. but i would like a closer look at the new design.

I have a full swim deck on the back of my I/O and it makes a "FANTASTIC" platform to fish from. It also effectively makes the boat bigger.

Also,
EZ I would buy your Jupiter in a heartbeat!! If only I had the cash burning a hole in my pocket. That's not a bad price for a fully restored boat. Probably a little hard to get for people who don't really understand what's been done to the boat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

bigski, thanks for those pics! That's pretty much exactly what I'd like to do.

scipper, I originally had the Jupiter listed for $1995 but Rickairmedic suggested I change it to $2250 OBO at least initially. I'm really just hoping to get $1500 out of it. I've pretty much gotten my wife to agree to "write off" the grand I paid for the SS so all the money I get for the Jupiter will go towards the SS's restoration.

Bob, Jim is correct as to where the fuel filler is. I'm still on the fence about that tank. I think I either want an underfloor tank or I'd rather just stick with large portables.

Zrt1200

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Glad to see you found the boat you wanted!! That was a good deal too!! By the looks in the pics, is that a burnt brown or burnt burgundy color?? Zrt.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks! It's burgundy and charcoal. It actually has some decent striping but is tough to see in the pics with the dark colors. The paint's in pretty good shape so I think I'm going to wash it and buff it up and see what I've got while I work on the interior. I restored the Jupiter from the inside-out and I'll most likely do the same here. My dad actually really likes the color, I think he's nuts.

I have someone interested in the Jupiter that is coming to look at it on Monday. Getting that sold would really kick this restoration into high gear.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Swap the windsheilds before ya sell the Jup!!!
lol

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hi Jeremy!
wow ya got her home and it runs WAY COOL
sweet little SS Star...should be a fun project, especially since you're now a a full fledged Tin Crafter Knight ...per Kev lol

Wow you have a great view from your house! sweet property!
Looking fwd to seeing what you have in store for the new SS!!!!!:)

I have to say...., your 66 Jupiter is oh so fine;),
the motor alone should be worth $800 to $1400....trailer $200 if tires old $350 with new tires....Jupiter hull w/ new seats and all your work....$1500.....

I say hold on to it through the winter and sell it in spring if you cant fetch 2k or better, $1500 is lowballin yourself!,:eek: thats a great boat and worth every penny! I think its worth $2600 - $2800 :D
Good Solid boat.....ready to roll for many many years.....

heck a 12' tin rowboat with 10 hp motor, sell used for $800 - 1400 all day out here....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the comments Vegas. If you like you view from the front of my house you should see the back. Nothing but trees. Our lot isn't real big and is fairly steep at parts but it's worth it to have a nice view and no neighbors in the back. It's not bad for a development house.

I have a guy that wants to meet at the boat ramp on Monday morning (as a quasi-gov't worker I'm off) for a test drive and he says he's not a tire kicker. So that would be fantastic if I could sell it so quickly. Since I've only had it listed a short time I'm not going to take less than $2k I don't think. I wanted to run it one more time anyway so Monday won't be a waste of my time regardless. Wish me luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.