NM Wellcraft 165 Airslot Resto

iaffboater

Cadet
Hello all, new to the forum, new to boating. Heck of a way to start. A Co-Worker of mine was selling a "Fiberglass boat... Needs some work but it looks real cool... 400 bucks if you want it...". So I went and looked at it and bought it. Stumbled into this forum while researching it. So far I have ascertained it to be a Wellcraft 165 Airslot of 1973 vintage. Hull is in great shape. Interior is shot. Deck feels soft in spots so looks like I'll be rebuilding it. Transom is shot so... Rebuilding as well. Motor is an evinrude 135. I'll get pics up tomorrow night, can't find the camera right now, but here is a couple cellphone shots.
0920091428.jpg

0920091430.jpg

Looking forward to tackling this project with my pops.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: NM Wellcraft 165 Airslot Resto

Welcome to iboats!!

You have a homework assignment that will boost your confidence and answer many questions. Based on your description you will be all too familiar with all the aspects of a full rebuild!! You should settle in with a glass or cup of your favorite beverage and read through this http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

The people in the evinrude/johnson forum will guide you through the 135. ;)

iaffboater

Cadet

Oh I'm sure by the end I'll know this boat inside and out. That looks like an awesome thread and I'm sure it will become a favorite. This forum just in browsing around seems like a plethora of knowlege as well. Thanks VT!

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

WELL LOOKY THERE, a twin! That is THE exact same boat as mine! I have either already done or am in the process of all that you are describing on mine! Check the link in my signature below. Glad to see another one! You are only the second one I have EVER seen other than mine! Awesome!:D Any questions at all feel free to ask, i will keep up on your thread as you go. Welcome to iboats!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats iaffboater. Chris, who posted above me, is doing a TOP NOTCH restore on his Airslot. Everything you need to know you'll find is his thread. Good luck with your project.

iaffboater

Cadet

Chris, I read through your thread the other night. Outstanding job you are doing there. Seems like the Airslot is a rare breed. I'm gonna get the boat moved from my place into my dads barn so I can start working on it today. Winters coming quick here so the barn will allow us to work on it all winter. Hopefully with my copious amounts of time off we can make quick progress.

chrishayes

Good luck and try to have fun and an open mind...there are going to be times when you wonder what the heck you got yourself into and if the wreck of a boat you bought is even worth hualing to the dump! Also, if you have to budget this build be it time or money, the saying is true, double it. Wish I didnt have to say that, but it is just true. Try to have fun!

chrishayes

I forgot to ask. How is the motor? Have you checked it out yet? Outboards are not cheap. Repair or replacement can get pretty serious, quick.

iaffboater

Cadet

Chris I have not checked out the motor yet. I need to get a battery and some fuel. Maybe I can get to that tomorrow. The P.O. Said the guy he bought it from had it running when he bought it but who knows, that's third hand info. I certainly hope she runs.

Pics!
In her new home (for the time being anyway)
DSCN0649.jpg

Starting the gutting process
DSCN0651.jpg

DSCN0654.jpg

DSCN0659.jpg

Carpet out and the hole I put my foot through
DSCN0667.jpg

Stepped right where you see the hole and all 220lb of me went through. Fun.
DSCN0666.jpg

Now I'm just trying to decide the best plan of action to get the old deck out and the top cap off... Image limit eh? Hmm...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Cool boat and cool motor. I think that was Evinrude's flagship motor that year. It was also the one on the james bond boat.

chrishayes

Cool boat and cool motor. I think that was Evinrude's flagship motor that year. It was also the one on the james bond boat.
Extrememy rare too as I have read...not good when the motor is in unknow condition. From what I have read, many use a different version of that motor and swap cowls to keep the "cool" factor. Check out "james Bond boat" on the search feature. Should be good reading for you.

Also, looking at your pictures just scares me. To be looking at it all I feel is dejavu. :D God I am glad I not there anymore! The way that I went about mine is to first and foremost remove the cap. It has to come off due to the bow walkthru and also to get at the transom(trust me, its bad, dont bother with core samples). Once the cap is gone, gut the remaining carpet and whatnots, then get a circ saw or airsaw or whatever tool you feel most comfortable with and cut the decking about 2" from where it meets the outer hull. remove the truckload of rotten wood and the foam bricks, then it will be time to look at the stringers. If at all possible you want to save them, but only if in a whole piece. If they are too far gone, take measurements and pictures. Whatever you do, do not remove the 2" of deck glass that is left, this will help you when installing the stringers so that you know what height it needs to be. With the walkthru, there is no room for error on height or the cap will NOT go back on.

Once you get there, you will have more questions. So we will leave it at that.

Super excited to see another of these boats!

iaffboater

Cadet

Awesome thanks Chris. Just from the hole I created in the deck with my foot it looks like at least the center stringer is shot. I don't know if I'll have time to work on her today but we'll see. This project looks an awful lot like the perfect excuse to get them tools I've always want...er... NEEDED lol.:cool:

chrishayes

Dont go crazy with high dollar tools though. They will be ate up after this. Get harbor freight stuff. It is throw away quality but that kinda all you need.

iaffboater

Cadet

Oh yeah that's pretty much all I buy anyway lol. Got approval for a few this AM from the wife. Too bad it's so far to get there... 45 minutes each way :mad: . Living in the country has it's advantages and disadvantages.

chrishayes

yeah, I know. I live outside of the city by about 20 miles so it is 45minutes for me too to go to a harbor freight. I get a kick out of people who always say that they wish they live in the country. I mean I have 2.4 acres and ill tell you, grass dont mow itself! I spend 8 hours a week mowing from april to october. That says nothing of all the other landscaping and general "country livin" tasks. I mean hell, I mow about as much as I work on my boat. Thats scary:eek: and sad...:redface:

You could always go to a local place and buy a low end grinder. It may cost more but you wouldnt have to drive...I do that a lot. Just another tradeoff I guess.

iaffboater

Cadet

Yeah I got 5 acres and don't even think of mowing it without using a tractor. Of course I'm in the southwest so it's a different story I can get away without mowing (well the lot, gotta do the yard), just thin prairie grasses. I need to head to town anyway so it won't be a big inconvenience.

iaffboater

Cadet

Well a little update, haven't gotten to work much on it. Been busy doin other stuff which is lame, I'd rather work on the boat but... Oh well. Started cutting the deck out and the stringers were looking good and solid, then... I found the rot. Oh well. Started trying to drill out the rivets so I could get the cap off and discovered someone had already had that idea before me and had the same problem as I, breaking drill bit after drill bit. I found 4 broken bits in the rivets and broke 3 of my own. Lame. Started some work on the trailer too (I'm one of those I can't work on one thing for too long cuz I get bored and lose motivation so I flip flop between various projects within the project lol) started grinding paint and rust off the trailer and murdered my grinder. It was due, 4 years old from Harbor Frieght and hard abuse for those 4 years... Not bad. I'll get some pics up once I track the camera down again... I think I left it in my locker at work so it may be like... Tues before I get pics up. Anyway thought I'd give a little update. :D