1957 Starcraft Ski Champ Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer
Look what followed me home! A 1957 14' Starcraft Ski Champ and original trailer. I also just picked up a 1956 Evinrude Lark 30 hp electric start engine for it. Just what I need, another project boat! SWMBO thinks I am nuts! here are plenty of photos for you to look at:
skichamp2.jpg

SkiChamp020.jpg

SkiChamp018.jpg

SkiChamp019.jpg

SkiChamp016.jpg

SkiChamp014.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1957 Starcraft Ski Champ Restoration

More Pics
SkiChamp017.jpg

SkiChamp015.jpg

SkiChamp008.jpg

The logos are intact!
SkiChamp009.jpg

SkiChamp010.jpg

SkiChamp011.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

More Pics
SkiChamp013.jpg

What is this thing?There is one on each side, some sort of trim tab or wake modifier for skiing?
SkiChamp012.jpg

Tilt Trailer
SkiChamp004.jpg

SkiChamp005.jpg

SkiChamp006.jpg

Raisable and locking bunks
SkiChamp007.jpg

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

WOW
What a find!!!

SWEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That thing's in real nice shape. That will be a cool little ride!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

You lucky pup! Nice find...don't be shy with the pix as you move forward with it.

Rickairmedic

Commander

So Bret are ya bringing the Camper or the Dingy to Tinstock :D. I will get you some pics of the Merc and controls this week :D.

Rick

bananaboater

Ensign

Now that is one nice ride. Looking forward to seeing it spruced up in the near future. Congratulations.

Albert

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Sweet!

And that's no project boat... it just needs a good spit and polish job!

Congrats!

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

WOW what a classic now all ya need to do is find some swimsuits to fit the era. :D

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Nope! Absolute junk! That boat/motor combo looks like nothing but trouble! I'll tell you what I'm willing to do for you wrfalpacas...I will come up there and relieve you of this mess you seem to have found yourself in. Normally I'd charge for junk removal, but since you're a fellow iboats member I'm willing to foot the cost. How far is Indiana from Virginia?:D

Seriously though, I'm completely jealous!!! Terrific boat, terrific motor! Time for a restoration thread!:D

BOB

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very nice boat! Looking forward to watching your progress on it! Has the potential to be a real classic if done right! Keep up the pix! You did a GREAT start!:)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice find:D...I'm starting to think that you have the leg up on all other used SC buyers being in northeastern Indiana:) She looks like alot of fun to me!

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

So Bret are ya bringing the Camper or the Dingy to Tinstock :D. I will get you some pics of the Merc and controls this week :D.

Rick

I will probably bring the Starchief (aka the camper) :p to tinstock, this little one will give me a winter project as it will fit in the garage easily letting SWMBO's jeep stay in too. I am on the lookout for a combination bow light and pennant holder as well as an old stern light for it.

Guys, thanks for the compliments, she actually came from Wisconsin.

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very cool Bret!

I especially like the use of wood both internally and externally? Is it teak or something else? It looks like it's in pretty good condition from the photos. The external wood trim just below the rub rail is just plain awesome! What a classy touch. Is the rub rail actually aluminium or terribly oxidized rubber?

I'd like to know what folks think about those things hanging off the lower end of the transom as well. Looks like a trim system of some sort.

Is there a steering assembly with the boat?

Very cool:cool:

Wes

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Very cool Bret!

I especially like the use of wood both internally and externally? Is it teak or something else? It looks like it's in pretty good condition from the photos. The external wood trim just below the rub rail is just plain awesome! What a classy touch. Is the rub rail actually aluminium or terribly oxidized rubber?

I'd like to know what folks think about those things hanging off the lower end of the transom as well. Looks like a trim system of some sort.

Is there a steering assembly with the boat?

Very cool:cool:

Wes

Wes,

Thanks! The wood is oak around the outside and transom,and mahogany for the seats and dash. The rub rail is aluminum bullnose, and I am looking for a steering wheel/pulley system for it. My best guess for those things is some kind of wake modifier for waterskiing:confused:, they have 2 positions, up out of the way, and sort of free floating down.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Bret I believe those are to flip down when skiing for faster planing. Similar to the whale tails/trim tabs only more old-school and unique:D

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Well the Starchief is waiting on the outdrive to get new bearings and seals, So I brought the SkiChamp in out of the rain to begin It's resto. First off is to remove the trim so I can haul it up to Sturgis MI to get soda blasted Saturday. I found a guy thatwill blast for $130 an hour, and he thinks about 2-3 hrs to get it to bare metal. I did find some rot in the oak rubrail under the aluminum trim, so I may be doing some wood work this winter. I am planning on a new transom, and we will see if I can salvage the mahogany seats and dash. Here are some updated pics.

SkiChampWeek1001.jpg

SkiChampWeek1002-1.jpg

SkiChampWeek1004.jpg

SkiChampWeek1006.jpg

SkiChampWeek1007.jpg

SkiChampWeek1008.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

A few More:
SkiChampWeek1009.jpg

SkiChampWeek1010.jpg