Need a new deck fill hole

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can I use this for cutting a new deck fill hole in my fiberglass boat? It's a 67 Glasspar. Actually the tool I have are individual cutters not the universal one in the pic but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 378new.jpg
    378new.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Need a new deck fill hole

Here's my problem not enough room to elbow the stiff 1.5" hose over to the original deck fill plus it would have to bend a littlemore than 90 degrees. The pic makes it look like there's more room than there is. There's maybe 2 inches above the tank fill.

Attachments

• IMG_0571.JPG
    IMG_0571.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 0

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Couldn't you cut the vertical fill tube down a little and maybe attach a stainless 90* with a short piece of hose and some stainless hose clamps? Then you would not have to worry about making the hose bend.
Just looked again at the pic, and now I noticed the old tube coming through the deck. May you could do 2 90*

notsunkyet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes that will cut a hole but like measuring .... look twice drill once (in this case) also after the hole is cut id use some sand paper to smooth the hole to prevent cracking later on... remember that thing will eat fast so be prepaired

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I thought about cutting down the tank fill and the deck fill but I'm worried about the extreme angle and not having enough pipe in the hose to hold it plus the strain on the plastic tank. I thought about an angled deck fill pipe and shortening the tank fill pipe but I think it's so close it'll rub on the underside of the deck. The best answer would be some kind of aluminum elbow that I could cut down to fit above the tank. I even thought about a rubber sewer type connector from Home Depot but I'm not sure that type of rubber will hold up to the fuel. I'm surprised no one makes a 1.5" fuel elbow. I might try forming the hose somehow before installing sort give it some memory. The angle of the picture makes it look like there's more room it might be 2" above the top of the aluminum tank fill.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, that will cut the hole you need but will probably be junk after one cut in fiberglass. You would be better off with one like in the attached picture. These are bi-metal and will last so you can use it again if you want. Cost more money though.

As far as using 90 deg elbows, it won't work unless you want to spend an hour at the gas pump to fill it. You need a pretty straight shot into the tank fill neck.

Attachments

• hole saw.jpg
    hole saw.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 0

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah thats another worry that I'll have to fill it with a straw. You think that would be a problem with a 90 at the tank and an angled deck filler? When it hits the 90 it'll back-up? I going to have to get under there and see if maybe I can twist it around and maybe cut the pipes down and line them up. I see quite a few people with vent issues I don't need that.

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am not a fan of those "multi piece"/ different size by using a different insert hole saws. They can come apart when least expected or wanted:eek: like just in time to ruin your gel-coat/paint and make a gnarly mess of things.

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That was just the first pic I could find I have the higher quality single size ones. After much thought I think I'm better off drilling the hole and having a straight down fill rather than a zig-zag that might not vent right. I'll just have to cover the old hole or maybe I could use it for a small water tank or something.

notsunkyet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok so where in relation to the boat does the filler come out at? also if your gonna use marine grade hose that stuff is HIGH DOLLAR and STIFF!!!!! i bought a piece of 1.5 x 3' to the tune of about 45 bucks!!!! radiator hose will degrade in a year or so.. can ya turn the tank around facing the rear and plumb it up to the tops of the hull by the transom? or maybe im not understanding... Also if you needing pipe bent i go to my local muffler shop and get a piece of 1.25 or 1.5 and theyll bend it for next to nothing

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's in the bow and I've flipped it around in all directions none really worked. There's one possibility I'm going to try tomorrow before I cut the new hole. The old tank was kind of triangle shaped and was held in place with small strips of wood which if I remove will let me turn 45 degrees kind of diamond shaped if that makes sense. I got 2 feet of uscg type a 1.5" fill hose for 13 bucks from Wholesale Marine. Almost as good a deal as the Moeller 15 gallon Permanent tank for 125.00. Unfortunately I probably should have spent more and got the angled fill one. I'll post a couple new pics tomorrow hopefully with :):)

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's funny after staring at it and talking about it enough a solution often appears. I removed some wood that located the old tank and put a small notch in a wood brace on the bow and it fits. It's not quite in the center of the boat but maybe an inch off I don't think that will be a problem. Thanks for the help sometimes I get locked on one solution and stop looking for easier ones.