How to patch a hole in your boat hull (video tutorial)

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
It was bound to happen, you pissed off the wrong guy and he took a shotgun to your hull. Now you have to fix it in order to exact revenge on him and his. Here's how to get you back on the water for the next six gun shootout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzOMlMzrLoE&feature=channel

The video skips the part about how to fill the voids left behind as well as fairing it. I used a mixture Poly resin, Cabosil and 3M glass bubbles and applied it using a plastic spreader. The cabosil is important, as it prevent sagging and dripping of the filler as you apply it. I then took 100 grit sand paper to sand it smooth to the hull and painted it. For big holes, I recommend using a 'long block' sander, as it will ensure the sanding job creates a perfectly smooth transition from patch to existing hull.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Cheers!

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to patch a hole in your boat hull (video tutorial)

Bravo! You're an asset to this site!

You're gonna need a cameraman... lol!

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a thought, but do you think you should repeat the process on the outside of the hull?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Just a thought, but do you think you should repeat the process on the outside of the hull?

I don't, simply because I couldn't if I wanted to. By the time you sand it flush to the existing hull, you would have sanded off anything you added from the outside. The inside patch is plenty, so long as you apply the glass correctly.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Nice tutorial and what you did will most likely last, but I personally would have done a 2-sided repair for that size hole. Actually I did a 2 sided repair on mine for an even smaller hole. You can do 2 sided and still have the repair flush with the original exterior of the hull if you do the taper from the outside rather than the inside. I made a cartoon in MS Paint to show how (attached). You would do essentially the same as you did, except what you did on the inside you would do on the outside. Then come back with a few layers of glass on the inside. Then grind the outside flush, fill, and paint or gel coat. I would have also used either CSM and a cloth layer, or better yet just used a layer or 2 of 1708 on each side. I tend to over do things but it makes me feel good about it.

Attachments

• hole repair.JPG
    hole repair.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 0

notsunkyet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey 109 mu buddy who was helping r/r my floors zipped right throught the hull with the cutoffdie grinder. hehehe actually funny now but he felt bad for days!! anyway i used 3 layers on the inside and nothing on the outside YET but since it is a 1/8 or less gash and it mostly filled from the resin and glass on the outside can i just fill the rest with gelcoat and be good to go? or should i mix some butter and fillin the last little bit then gelcoat .... in total it is 1/8 by 2 inch