Restoring a 1982 Galaxy Executive

mddubya

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ahoy Mate's

I am the proud owner of a 1982 Galaxy Executive, by Ed Fitch. Sadly last summer my outdrive messed up. I was told it was a stripped gear. I took it to a new shop and was told 2 weeks later it was fixed. But when I took it back to the lake and attempted to back it off the trailer, it was making pretty much the same noise and wouldn't back off. To shorten the story, "supposedly" somebody broke into the shop Sunday night and stole all his tools and he went out of business. so my warranty suddenly disappeared. I parked it under a tree at my Dad's, (bad idea, I know). I got the itch a while back to get it fixed and discovered the cover had ripped and she was now full of leaves and pecans. Now my outdrive is still screwed up, and my flooring under the carpeting is rotten.

A cousin of mine has offered me the outdrive off his 1886 VIP ski boat, but it has a 305 V8, where my boat has a I-4. are these interchangeble?

How difficult is the flooring to rip up and replace?

Thanks in advance for any advice and tips ya'll can offer. I look forward to getting to know as many of ya'll as possible.

mddubya

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Restoring a 1982 Galaxy Executive

Another question, can a carburetor be worn out? I've had this one rebuilt twice, and it still doesn't run right. It starts off great, but after a couple of hours begins bogging down coming out of the hole. The boats not running hot, at least not according to the temp gauge.

mddubya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I've rebuilt car engines, I can remove and replace the transmission out of a car. Is removing and replacing the stern drive any harder than either of these?

I promise I won't hold anyone responsible if I screw something up, :D

I'm just looking for some advice before I get the call from the marina telling me exactly what is wrong with my boat.

Is it possible that when the previous shop "repaired" my stern drive that he didn't adjust the throttle cable properly? The throttle was getting a little stiff prior to it messing up.

mddubya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I got a call from the mechanic yesterday. He said they couldn't get my boat to start, needs a starter. I've had this starter rebuilt once already. Apparently this engine has pretty high compression and eats starters for lunch. But he wants $250.00 for a new one so I guess I'll get this one rebuilt again.

The good news though was that they tried to shift it with it not running and it wouldn't even attempt to go into reverse, so maybe the stern drive is ok, and I just need a new throttle and cable?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

mddubya, you're posting engine questions in the boat resto section and I think that's why you aren't getting responses. There are some incredible I/O experts on this forum but they tend to hang out in the I/O repair section. You should post your questions there.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I've rebuilt car engines, I can remove and replace the transmission out of a car. Is removing and replacing the stern drive any harder than either of these?

You can do it. You may need a "specialty" tool or two. Good luck.

mddubya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, I'll post it over there, although its looking like its just my throttle cable now.

mddubya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is a picture of the Executive. I have a 2 week break in classes so I'm about to jump on the flooring and seating.

Attachments

• iboat pic.jpg
    iboat pic.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow, that thing is BAD *****. Does not look like an '82 at all!

mddubya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, that thing is BAD *****. Does not look like an '82 at all!

Thanks Ezmobee, I searched far and wide to find just the right boat. One that looked like the newer ones without the price tag. Plus I put a lot of time buffing out her out and detailing her. Not to mention grinding and sanding the trailer, finding wheels that almost match the ones on my truck, just the right tower and wakeboard racks.

Now if I can just get this flooring replaced and figure out to build and install some wrap around seating, I'll be set.

BTW, I just checked out the pics of your Starcraft, that thing looks great, awesome job!

mddubya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is another picture, of the front, kinda shows the rims on my truck. They almost match? lol.

Attachments

• iboats pic2.jpg
    iboats pic2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0

BudgetBoater

Recruit
That my friend is a gorgeous boat! I just bought a 1982 for $100 on craigslist! I hope I can get her half as nice as yours! mine has a VP AQ145 with a 280 sterndrive. Only has 270 hours and the interior is almost perfect! Gonna take some elbo Greene though. Have you been able to find much info on the boat or the company that made it? The convertible top is almost perfect too, just a little dirty

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That my friend is a gorgeous boat! I just bought a 1982 for $100 on craigslist! I hope I can get her half as nice as yours! mine has a VP AQ145 with a 280 sterndrive. Only has 270 hours and the interior is almost perfect! Gonna take some elbo Greene though. Have you been able to find much info on the boat or the company that made it? The convertible top is almost perfect too, just a little dirty

One more pic! Lost a tire bringing her home

BudgetBoater - You are doing a wonderful hijacking a long dead thread. Please click on the Forum Help link in the sig below and start your own thread. Thanks.