1968 Holiday Restoration w/pics

Azlo

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I just got this a week ago. So far i was able to get the engine running though it doesn't idle. Will have to rebuild the carb.

8.jpg

Will be restoring the whole thing,,or attempt to.

2.jpg

This is my first boat so will see how i do.

1.jpg

I like posting pics & videos so im pretty sure it will be documented.

Last edited:

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: Starting 1968 Holiday Restoration w/pics

Azlo welcome to the Resto section :D. Dont worry we will help ya tear her apart and put her back together better than new :D.

Rick

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Nice, Another 68 ! Welcome to the forum:D

Azlo

Thanks Fellas, I started to tear into it, got the engine started but my trim is not working, tested the motor with out the relay and its shorted. I was wondering if I could replace the motor & valve body with a modern one as long as the fittings fit? (likePic 9) Is that possible to install ANY trim pump?

Attachments

• trim pump 3.jpg
    trim pump 3.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 0
  • trim pump 4.jpg
    trim pump 4.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 0
  • trim pump 5.jpg
    trim pump 5.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 0

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool ride Azlo. Welcome to the forum.

You might think about searching the forums on trim pumps. It's probably been discussed at some point here.

Wes

Azlo

Since i have my pump on order i went ahead and tear into the out drive, what a nightmare. Now this a pre-alpha out drive. I got the manual & found a lot out by self. But now that i have it removed ,,,if u look at the pics do you guys think its worth rebuilding or maybe i should upgrade since i want to put v8 in this thing. Please give me your opinions guys. I want to plan this out & save my money for whats to come.

3-1.jpg

1-2.jpg

4-1.jpg

Last edited:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Azlo..
Congrats on having a 68 Holiday...I happen to like em!

Regarding going to a V8....You know that hull is rated for a max HP of maybe 140?

I think a V8 will add weight and be over horsed...ya dont want to end up with a twisted stern...

Azlo

Thanks CheapboatKev, But just when i thought i was advancing i realized to day that i have water in the oil!!!!!!! SOMB!! Well, now i have to the rebuild the 4 cyl, but this is a restoration after all. I just hope its not the block. Crap being a newbie at this just hit me, but thats what the liquor is for. By the way I drink everclear w/ bacardi. Love it. Goona need it today.

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 0

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Oh that sucks..
Have ya posted in the OMC/Merc I/O forum?
The guys there can guide you on the milky oil...Head gasket, cracked block, heads..any of your issues...

Ahhhhh..Ba-cad-eeee..Know it well..

Alcohol is like super glue for anything broken..hearts, motors...lol

Azlo

Uknow I think thats what ill name my boat "Everclear".

I wonder if that will provoke the cops to stop me at the lake more.

Attachments

• everclear..jpg
    everclear..jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 0

Azlo

Re: 1968 Holiday Restoration w/pics

I usually relax on workdays, but i decided to do a little today. I removed my dashboard and fuse box. While i was under the bow removing wires i noticed the wood frame support. All rotted, but i wonder if I can reinforce or create a frame to reinforce the bow. If i do i know it will be capsulated. But anyways, I also took the dashboard out. Im going wild with ideas on how to set up my dash. I know one thing for sure i dont like the ladder in the middle. Im thinking of having a full dashboard all the way across. What would you want to do on top of the bow? Fish? Tan??

4-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

2-3.jpg

1-3.jpg

Last edited:

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice Holiday Azlo, you will find that checking out CheapBoatKev and North Beach's restoration threads will help you tremendously as their rigs are very similar to yours.

Even if you don't fish or tan you may want to be able to step out on the bow whenever you are anchoring. Good luck with the project.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

Nice looking Holiday Azlo. I agree with Huron Angler even if you don?t fish or tan you will still need access to the bow for anchoring.

Jeff.

Azlo

Got out of work early so i got some rest & then did some work on the boat. I went ahead and removed the rest of the dash including the windshield. Now looking at the boat with out the windshield it looks sporty. Maybe i can shorten the windshield a little or maybe replace it with a sportier one. Hmmm Ill take more pics tommorrow when the suns out and see what u guys think.

2-4.jpg

1-4.jpg

1-3.jpg

Last edited:

Azlo

more pics

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 0

Azlo

Labor day!!!!. Yeap, had to put some labor in. The goal today was to remove the deck?(the area were u tan). Started by removing the rear left molding cap

1-5.jpg

and then the front cap.

2-5.jpg

An easy thing to do but hard to figure out. Remove the bow cap by removing the bottom 2 screws on the cap but the cap still wouldn't come off. Then I realized it was like a clip on. But knowing it was aluminum I had to pry it off carefully. SO, I pry carefully on ONE side to pry it off (forward) then i slided it off from the other side. Understandable? Then, I removed the sides that were holding the rubber guard to reach the bolts to the rubber guard holder. Once these were removed i was able to drill the rivets holding the bow top, nothing but a piece of aluminum sheet.

4-3.jpg

Now as u can see nothing left but the wooden frame. I don't want to take the frame off cause i think it might bend the hull. Is that possible?

Last edited:

Steve A W

Petty Officer 1st Class

Azlo
I just came across your post, it looks like your on the right
track on your restoration.
About the lower unit pict's, all I can say is, I don't want to
go swimming where the fish can take a bite out of a motor
like that!:D
Good Luck!
Steve

Azlo

haha,,yeah Steve it was at lake placid.

Azlo

This a good weekend since its raining so its gonna be cool. Now that i have removed the the bow section went ahead started to remove the transom. So far the aluminum covers have comed off and transom is rotten as i thought it would be for a 68.

4-4.jpg

Now it seams I will have to remove the engine. So I went ahead and bought a engine crane. How easy is it to remove this 140?

3-3.jpg

Last edited:

Azlo

Good day today. Made some great progress. As u can see by the pics the floor is out. From I see and it seems to me that I have hit rock bottom, and now there's no way to go but up. nothing really else to tear down & now to build up. What a turning point. I will mark this day in my calendar as a turning day.:redface:

1-6.jpg

3-4.jpg

5-3.jpg

Last edited: