• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

transom cap?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


  • transom cap?

    I am just about done with my project '65 Johnson tri-hull. I replaced the transom and did all the glass work with great success thanks to all the info found here. but I have one small issue. it had a 2 piece aluminum cap over the top of the transom. kind of like 2 "L"s that slid over and under each other to adjust for different thicknesses. it was about 1/16" thick. the old parts are way to mangled to reuse. I tried searching all over the iboats site with no luck. my transom is 1 1/2" thick and the area in question is 36" long. what should I do now?
    TIA Todd


  • #2
    Re: transom cap?

    Originally posted by 68C15 View Post
    I am just about done with my project '65 Johnson tri-hull. I replaced the transom and did all the glass work with great success thanks to all the info found here. but I have one small issue. it had a 2 piece aluminum cap over the top of the transom. kind of like 2 "L"s that slid over and under each other to adjust for different thicknesses. it was about 1/16" thick. the old parts are way to mangled to reuse. I tried searching all over the iboats site with no luck. my transom is 1 1/2" thick and the area in question is 36" long. what should I do now?
    TIA Todd
    Could you use thin wall aluminum angle. You can get it at HD in 4' and 8' lengths up to 2" wide. It cuts smooth and easy with a bi-metal blade in a chop saw.

    Comment



    • #3
      Re: transom cap?

      Originally posted by sschefer View Post
      Could you use thin wall aluminum angle. You can get it at HD in 4' and 8' lengths up to 2" wide. It cuts smooth and easy with a bi-metal blade in a chop saw.
      I was just logging in to say the exact same thing.LOL

      Comment



      • #4
        Re: transom cap?

        OK, cool. I'll go check it out tonight. how should a guy attach it? I assume screws would be a bad idea. maybe some PL 400?
        also is it easy to bend? my transom has a slight curve bowing out from side to side. in 3 feet it bows about 1/2"-3/4"

        Comment



        • #5
          Re: transom cap?

          Originally posted by 68C15 View Post
          OK, cool. I'll go check it out tonight. how should a guy attach it? I assume screws would be a bad idea. maybe some PL 400?
          also is it easy to bend? my transom has a slight curve bowing out from side to side. in 3 feet it bows about 1/2"-3/4"
          Mine is just nailed on believe it or not. I would use small screws if you can get enough bite to hold it in place. I used 3M 5200 on all the transom edges to prevent water sepage. If you use thin wall I think it will form up for you. Thick wall (1/8") would require a bit of work.

          Comment

          Working...
          X