1975 Tri Haul (Signa18) First Restoration!

19ftSigna

Seaman Apprentice
Ok well I finally got around to getting my boat in the garage and starting to tear it down. So far i've took the rubber strip off and started drilling out all the rivets. Also took off the Johnson 115. Hopefully this weekend we will have the cap off to start on the floor, stringers, and transom. Please if anyone has any ideas or methods of work, dont be shy, let me know. I've been looking around in this forum for a while now and now its my turn. This will not be a month turnaround like some of you, but will probably be a long process. Here are some pics of progress so far.

Attachments

• boat 002.jpg
    boat 002.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 001.jpg
    boat 001.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 006.jpg
    boat 006.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 003.jpg
    boat 003.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 004.jpg
    boat 004.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 0

19ftSigna

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1975 Tri Haul (Signa18) First Restoration!

And some more...

Attachments

• boat 005.jpg
    boat 005.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 007.jpg
    boat 007.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 010.jpg
    boat 010.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 008.jpg
    boat 008.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0

19ftSigna

Seaman Apprentice

I got all the rivets and screw out today and looked at all the wiring. What all needs to come out before I pull the cap(hopefull saturday)?

Also does the windshield need to come off?

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

I got all the rivets and screw out today and looked at all the wiring. What all needs to come out before I pull the cap(hopefull saturday)?

Also does the windshield need to come off?

To seperate the cap, you need to make sure that anything attached from the cap to the hull is disconnected... if you already have the motor off, then the steering has been undone... as for the electrical and remaining hardware, it can stay on the cap prior to removal, or you can remove it first, up to you.

As for the windshield, that really depends on how its mounted, how you intend to support the cap during and after removal, and what you intend to do the cap in the long haul...

I pulled my cap with the windshield still on... but it will add some weight to it, and it made the two side consoles a bit "flexy" from the weight of the windshield... I intended to redo my cap, so in retrospect, it would have been easier to just pull the windshield prior to pulling the cap, so ultimately its up to you... the only catch would be if for some reason any of the mounting screws for the windshield screw down into the main hull, then you would have to pull it first, but I think this would be rare.

Hope that helps!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey congrats on diving in with your own thread! Gud luck on your tri-hull project. Don't worry, mine was nowhere close to a one month project either!:D

19ftSigna

Seaman Apprentice

Haha! thanks. I only see one screw with nut on lower side and the windshield supports attached to the consol's holding the windshield on. The rest of the shield looks to be in a groove with some kind of glue holding it down. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and see weather I want to remove it. I've got to find my electric chain saw and them i'm in business with removing my floor. I will have pics on sunday or monday for ya. Thanks

19ftSigna

Seaman Apprentice

Well got the cap off finally, pretty heavy!

Attachments

• boat floor 001.jpg
    boat floor 001.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat floor 003.jpg
    boat floor 003.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat floor 004.jpg
    boat floor 004.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
  • boat floor 005.jpg
    boat floor 005.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 0

19ftSigna

Seaman Apprentice

more

Attachments

• boat floor 002.jpg
    boat floor 002.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 0
  • boat floor 006.jpg
    boat floor 006.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 0

tallcanadian

Captain

If you look under your cap you should see how the windshield is attached. Should be some little nuts screwed onto some, well, screw looking things. lol. Can't think of the proper name. There should be a dozen or 15 of these. Great looking boat, by the way. Good luck.

19ftSigna

Seaman Apprentice

whats the easiest way to get the old floor out(plywood, foam, stringers?) Also when i get everything out making a template for the stringers? If you can see in the pic of the stringers they look to be bowed at the front of the boat. How do I get that bow or do I need to even replicate that setup?

tallcanadian

Captain

Hey Signa, I had the same thing with my stringers but I was lucky enough to be able to get one old one out in one piece. It was shaped that way to match the angle of the floor. My old stringers were 2x4 lumber so I used the same putting them back in, and I used my old one as a model for the same stringers. Hope this helps.

19ftSigna

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I got my electric chain saw today and should be cutting the floor tomorrow. I'm gonna try to get one out in one piece! Pretty bad shape! Hat does everyone use to scrape out old foam and flooring?

19ftSigna

Seaman Apprentice

Well got the floor up and boy was I suprised. First off the smell was nasty and the whole floor was water saturated foam with water sloshing around in the bottom. every cavity was filled with water.

Attachments

• rotten1.JPG
    rotten1.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 0
  • rotten2.JPG
    rotten2.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 0
  • rotten3.JPG
    rotten3.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Imagine how much overall weight you'll be saving when you replace all that waterlogged wood and foam. Should improve your performace. That's a nice big 'ol stable tri-hull. Well worth the effort to fix up. Good luck with the rest of your project.

tobor1973

Recruit

Anybody got any info on wiring for this type control center? I have a 1974 Starbuck trihull with the same controle center that needs rewiring. Any links? Thanks.