• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

what paint should i use to paint my aluminum jon boat?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what paint should i use to paint my aluminum jon boat?

how much will it cost? can i do it myself? if so, how do i do it? (BTW, the boat is 13 feet long)
    EAT SLEEP FISH!!!!

Re: what paint should i use to paint my aluminum jon boat?

Google - Interlux, the site will give you everything you need to know..then ask your marina
    Nec aspera terrent

Comment

Moved this over to boat restoration. That's where the paint gurus hang out. Good luck!!
      Keep the faith!!! We'll be back stronger than ever

Comment

Alot of folks have used rustoleum as well with good results. Probably not as good as interlux but alot cheaper. How big is the boat? Using rustoleum I used about 2.5 gal of paint, 1 gal primer, and six cans self ecthing primer(it's $10 a can but you have to use it) for the bare spots on a 16' sprayed on. So $140 in paint. If you roll it on figure another $75-100 in brushes, thinner, rags, sandpaper ect.. So you should be able to do it for around $250.
        The Crestliner Restoration

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....49#post2218249

1967 16' Crestliner and 60hp Johnny

Klamath Trailorboat and 9.9 Johnny

Comment

Fish my first question is is it painted now if not then I would reconsider painting it as once its painted it will have to be repainted or touched up every so often forever if left unpainted all you ever have to do is use it .I am using Rustoleum on my 16' Starcraft which there is a link to in my post . I will most likely end up about the same as lion hunter about 2 &1/2 gallons which includes primer and all other than the Zinc Chromate and I have used 3-4 cans of that thus far and have all but the interior and bow painted so far..

Rick
          Current Resto Project
          1970 Starcraft Jupiter V 16'

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=322858

Starcraft owners be sure to check out the 2010 get together thread .

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=337378

Comment

get a bottom paint job from a boat yard , tell them to go up to the gunnels , have them use bottom paint or some vc performance epoxy , maybe tinted

Comment

Originally posted by Rickairmedic View Post
              Fish my first question is is it painted now if not then I would reconsider painting it as once its painted it will have to be repainted or touched up every so often forever if left unpainted all you ever have to do is use it .I am using Rustoleum on my 16' Starcraft which there is a link to in my post . I will most likely end up about the same as lion hunter about 2 &1/2 gallons which includes primer and all other than the Zinc Chromate and I have used 3-4 cans of that thus far and have all but the interior and bow painted so far..

Rick
              thanks man, by the way i have a starcraft too, its just 13feet though and i want to paint it because i would like to use it in saltwater without too many worrys.
              EAT SLEEP FISH!!!!

Comment

Oh gawd another one of them from Floriduh to hang out with Kev ( shhhhhhhh I grew up in Tampa . ) Ok well then you can use just about any paint you like if you will be taking it out of the water daily and with saltwater you will want to give her a decent bath when you get home . Alot of guys recomend bottom paint for saltwater buuuuuuuuut with an aluminum hull you dont want any paint with copper in it so you have to be carefull which one you use should you choose a bottom paint.

Rick
                Current Resto Project
                1970 Starcraft Jupiter V 16'

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=322858

Starcraft owners be sure to check out the 2010 get together thread .

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=337378

Comment

Working...
                X