what paint should i use to paint my aluminum jon boat?

fishfindin

Cadet
how much will it cost? can i do it myself? if so, how do i do it?:) (BTW, the boat is 13 feet long)

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: what paint should i use to paint my aluminum jon boat?

Google - Interlux, the site will give you everything you need to know..then ask your marina

QC

Supreme Mariner

Moved this over to boat restoration. That's where the paint gurus hang out. Good luck!!

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Alot of folks have used rustoleum as well with good results. Probably not as good as interlux but alot cheaper. How big is the boat? Using rustoleum I used about 2.5 gal of paint, 1 gal primer, and six cans self ecthing primer(it's $10 a can but you have to use it) for the bare spots on a 16' sprayed on. So $140 in paint. If you roll it on figure another $75-100 in brushes, thinner, rags, sandpaper ect.. So you should be able to do it for around $250.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Fish my first question is is it painted now if not then I would reconsider painting it as once its painted it will have to be repainted or touched up every so often forever :D if left unpainted all you ever have to do is use it :D.I am using Rustoleum on my 16' Starcraft which there is a link to in my post . I will most likely end up about the same as lion hunter about 2 &1/2 gallons which includes primer and all other than the Zinc Chromate and I have used 3-4 cans of that thus far and have all but the interior and bow painted so far..

Rick

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

get a bottom paint job from a boat yard , tell them to go up to the gunnels , have them use bottom paint or some vc performance epoxy , maybe tinted

fishfindin

Cadet

Fish my first question is is it painted now if not then I would reconsider painting it as once its painted it will have to be repainted or touched up every so often forever :D if left unpainted all you ever have to do is use it :D.I am using Rustoleum on my 16' Starcraft which there is a link to in my post . I will most likely end up about the same as lion hunter about 2 &1/2 gallons which includes primer and all other than the Zinc Chromate and I have used 3-4 cans of that thus far and have all but the interior and bow painted so far..

Rick

thanks man, by the way i have a starcraft too, its just 13feet though:D and i want to paint it because i would like to use it in saltwater without too many worrys.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Oh gawd another one of them from Floriduh to hang out with Kev ( shhhhhhhh I grew up in Tampa . ) :D Ok well then you can use just about any paint you like if you will be taking it out of the water daily and with saltwater you will want to give her a decent bath when you get home . Alot of guys recomend bottom paint for saltwater buuuuuuuuut with an aluminum hull you dont want any paint with copper in it so you have to be carefull which one you use should you choose a bottom paint.

Rick