Marine Tex (good or bad idea)?

shall209

Cadet
I have been following this site for a while and have decided to tackle my first boat restoration project. I have a 1973 Crestliner "Musky" 15 footer that has some minor damage from years of trailering. The bow roller has almost worn through the hull. After asking around the local marine dealers I was steered toward a marine-tex repair kit. The paperwork that comes with this product makes it sound like it might be the ticket. I was wondering if anyone on this site had ever used it. If so, how did it work. Is there a better product on the market for this repair? On a side note, while I have this product mixed, I am also planning on repairing some small holes in the top side where a rod holder bracket was mounted. Thanks in advance for your help.

P. s. I have pictures but cannot upload them. I keep getting a message "upload failed". It appears that they are too big a file size. Any ideas?

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Marine Tex (good or bad idea)?

I've used MArine Tex on my canoes/kayaks where it wears a lot on the front from beaching/ rocks, etc. Holds up very well for my river rat boats. Never used it on a powerboat but my local mec. swears by it. I think he puts it on his cereal in the morning!

As far as pics go, right click on them and choose re-size image. Make it smaller and try again with the smaller image.(not too small though!) Some of us wear cheaters.

redfury

Commander

You can also download from google a program called Picasa 3, which you can manage all of your files on the computer, and upload them to a google account for hosting, which is what I do. You don't have to change anything, the site puts the size to a easy size to see on forums, and if you really want to see the picture better, you can keep a link of all your pictures in your signature for people to goto. At the picasa site, you can click the magnifying glass to see the picture in its full glory and detail.

You can check my links below for an example.

...alternatively, you can make a project page on www.shareaproject.com and keep a log of everything you do to the boat for the world to see.;)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If the hull is almost worn through as you say, then Marine Tex is not the product to use. You need to build it back up with glass, putty alone isn't up to the task. It's not hard to do, if you do a search here on "keel repair" you should get an idea of how to do it.

See if you can get those pics posted, it always helps in getting better answers.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

That needs to be built back up with glass.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, gotta agree glass it up first. I was thinking temp patch... sorry..:redface:

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Get a different bow roller too, or just a bow stop.

IMO, MarineTex would work as you need fiberlasss for it to bond to. MarineTex is nothing more than an epoxy resin mix with filler. If it were just a little ding ie. no fiberglass showing you could simply use a gelcoat repair kit. You should check the MarineTex website, as the first time I used it I did and it helped. It seals it bonds to gelcoat, fiberglass, wood, etc. It is stronger than fiberglass when applied correctly. Besides the small container is $15. That would fill that void and then some. Take your Mechanic's advice. Wouldn't you at least want to attempt before layin down layers of glass?

Just my 2 cents...

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

IMO, MarineTex would work as you need fiberlasss for it to bond to. MarineTex is nothing more than an epoxy resin mix with filler. If it were just a little ding ie. no fiberglass showing you could simply use a gelcoat repair kit. You should check the MarineTex website, as the first time I used it I did and it helped. It seals it bonds to gelcoat, fiberglass, wood, etc. It is stronger than fiberglass when applied correctly. Besides the small container is $15. That would fill that void and then some. Take your Mechanic's advice. Wouldn't you at least want to attempt before layin down layers of glass?

Just my 2 cents...

Laying glass isn't hard. I could grind that a bit, cut the material, mix the resin and apply a proper patch for that area in about 20 minutes total. After cure, gel coat or just a shot of paint from a rattle can and its done and you don't have to worry about whether or not the damage compromised the structure because you fixed it. You could even put one of the stainless steel protective pieces on over it.

Actually that is exactly what MarineTex is for. If you were to reglass that area the right way it would take about 4 or 5 layers of cloth, making a fine hole out of a jagged one, sanding to a pitch, laying those 4 layers, dry time for the resin, more sanding to get the rough out and hold the gel down, and even then the gel coat.... Way more than 20 minutes. Not tryin to be a pest, but he was trying to find solution that he could do on the fly. There is no difference in using this and epoxy resin with a colloidal filler except it will save about 200 bucks in material and a weekend of none use.... Just sayin.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

You can lay all 4 to 5 layers at one time and yes it can be done in 20 minutes if everything is on hand. Not finish it, but get the structural reinforcement of glass back in it.

I totally disagree with using MarineTex for that. MarineTex is just a thiickened resin with NO structural fibers in it. The pictures indicate to me that there is structural damage to the hull. MarinTex will not fix it and will only cover it up. As good as MarinTex is (I have used it before), it will not last. Do it right and do it once.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You can lay all 4 to 5 layers at one time and yes it can be done in 20 minutes if everything is on hand. Not finish it, but get the structural reinforcement of glass back in it.

I totally disagree with using MarineTex for that. MarineTex is just a thiickened resin with NO structural fibers in it. The pictures indicate to me that there is structural damage to the hull. MarinTex will not fix it and will only cover it up. As good as MarinTex is (I have used it before), it will not last. Do it right and do it once.

With all due respect 109 - I love to disagree with those who disagree - - er does that make it disagree squared? - - MarineTex is one of the "must" products every boater should have in his/her garage. It applies like putty and dries like steel. It can be used most anywhere. Keep in mind that it is not a substitute for good glass work for large areas but for this job me thinks Marine Tex is ideal.

I would use some waxz paper and cardboard to stop the MarineTex from sagging as it dries. When dry you will need a power sander or grinder to smooth it out - it is that strong.

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

id use marine tex , there is no load bareing goin on , id first feather it out with some 80 grit sand paper then marine tex a layer , let it cure a few days sand that up , do another layer ,let it cure for a few days , etc till its built up , but that does look deep ,.here is a marine tex lay up i did took about a year ;http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x74/desktopgold/0921081447.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x74/desktopgold/0921081459.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x74/desktopgold/0927081419c-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

robbankston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From the bit I have used it I think Marine tex is an excellent product. I believe they even state on the package that it can be used for permanent hull repair? It also says its good for underwater repairs. I would think if done properly it'd be fine. I guess you could always ask them directly....

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I believe that The great late Billy Mays stated that mighty mend-it WILL withstand GAIL FORCE WINDS!!!! That right there should be proof enough to throw marine tex aside and use Mighty Mend-it.

I am using bondo with glass fibers as filler for old bimini top holes, but nothing structural.

flatcat77

Seaman Apprentice

we put a 327 in my uncle's boat when i was a teenager. he went to a v-8 from a strait six inboard. so we had to put in a motormount because the motor was shorter. we made the whole motor mount out of a piece of wood and layed it up with marine tex. you would be just fine using marine tex for that. the problem with marine tex is. it is sronger then the glass it bonds too. thats where its going to come apart if anything. but honestly. that stuff is like as stiff as seacast after it hardens. you would be fine.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

With all due respect 109 - I love to disagree with those who disagree - - er does that make it disagree squared? - - MarineTex is one of the "must" products every boater should have in his/her garage. It applies like putty and dries like steel. It can be used most anywhere. Keep in mind that it is not a substitute for good glass work for large areas but for this job me thinks Marine Tex is ideal.

I would use some waxz paper and cardboard to stop the MarineTex from sagging as it dries. When dry you will need a power sander or grinder to smooth it out - it is that strong.

No offense taken. MarinTex is a good product for the right applications. I said I have used it. However, the engineering specs don't lie. MarineTex has a tensile strength of 4,000 psi from their own website. Typical plain epoxy resins by themselves have a tensile strength of around 8 to 10,000 psi. Sot MarineTex has a lower tensile strength that plain old epoxy. not surprising to me though. Despite what you want to believe, marintex is not strong. The strength of a fiberglass laminate, whether epoxy/fiberglass or polyester/fiberglass comes from the matrix which includes the glass fibers. The same epoxies with fiberglass fibers can have tensile strengths to 40,000 psi, 60,000 psi or even higher if the fiber directions are carefully controlled. Epoxy by itself is also brittle. Don't believe me. Well pour an 1/8" thick layer of epoxy in a waxed cup and let it cure. Then remove this coin after full cure and throw it down on a concrete sidewalk. It will break. Layup a 1/8" thick laminate with the same epoxy and glass cloth and you won't be able to break it without using tools.

The original poster stated that the hull was worn almost all the way through. His picture I looked at looks like his description is accurate. How is this NOT structural???? We are not talking about simply being worn through the gel coat here. If it is structural, the repair MUST include glass fibers to compete the composite matrix. Even Ondarvr came to this conclusion and he is one of the most respected on this site with regard to composite repair.

Can MarinTex be used for a "permanent hull repair" as they say in their literature. Heck yes if it is the right kind of repair. I've used it to plug screw holes in fiberglass boats and a small tear in an aluminum hull and it worked great and I would consider those repairs permanent. But those repairs were not structural, they were only leak plugs. Big difference.

The are in question is right next to the bow eye. To say ther is no load there is ridiculous as there are going to be loads applied any time the winch is hooked to it. Also don't forget that this is the area where the bow stop rests on the boat. No load????????????

I stand by what I said. For this specific repair I 100% disagree that marinetex can be used alone.

reelmess

Seaman Apprentice

If that were my boat, I'd be more likely to do some grinding and feather back that area and fill the damaged glass with some epoxy mixed with some fibers, then fill the final layer with some white Marine Tex hull repair. I have a small bottle of it here that I bought from the hardware store in bright white, it's great for matching white gelcoat.
I'd also toss that spool roller for a nice V block to take the load off that area. Chances are that damage came from contact with the bolt inside that roller at some point. I've never seen a roller eat away a hull like that unless there was metal contact involved. Even a more typical bow roller would work better than a straigth centered spool roller.

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

marine tex sands better and wont crater on you as much . i like it for putty work.but i agree i see people claiming it has good strength ,, use epoxy with a proper hard blend for strength such as laminating and such ,marine tex has good impact resistance though , red hand is a nice putty too more smooth than marine tex . this dosent look so structural , kumon it got rubbed by a rubber bow roller, epoxy would be nice topped with marine tex for a smooth finnish , i did a couple of hole repairs with feathering and cutting little pieces of cloth , doing small lay ups, get the west sys repair book . shows it all . the pic isnt acurate enough and there has to be wood reinforcment behind the bow eye