'67 Chrysler (She's a Beauty!) Cable Steering Spindle

Sam's Dad

Recruit
Hello all. My little boy and I are going thru the phases of restoring a 1967 Chrysler runabout. Beautiful - thought we were all done. But have been running her around a little bit and the steering wheel spindle started working loose from the dash. It's an old cable and pulley system, and as I was attempting to tighten up the nut on the spindle to pull it up tight to the dash, my channel locks crushed the old pot metal. Still can't believe how brittle it was. I have been searching the web and iboat forums for over 2 hours and not having any luck finding a replacement part... or anything even similar. Maybe I am calling it the wrong thing? Does anybody know of a good site to look for old cable & pulley system parts??

Thank you so much. Warm Regards, Sam's Dad

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '67 Chrysler (She's a Beauty!) Cable Steering Spindle

welcome to you and your little helper. :)

Sorry, I don't know much about those cable pulley systems, so I can't be any help with fixing it. Maybe this is the ideal time to upgrade to a modern steering system, I'd hate the idea of fixing up the old one and then having it fail again only to leave you and the little guy stranded out in the middle of a lake somewhere.

This is the one I an going to be putting in my project boat when it's time...

http://www.iboats.com/Teleflex_NFB_...22065686--**********.569118279--view_id.40280

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with lightnig, it would be a good time to upgrade that old steering system unless you are just set on going back with the same for originality. Those old cable steering systems are ok, they work,they are usually trouble free for the most part but also somewhat dangerous if the cable breaks or if it becomes loose and jumps off the spool. The newer no feedback steering systems are so much nicer for driving anyway.:)

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

You can upgrade for about $200 or just keep your eyes open for an old boat, old enough to have cable/pulley steering...they're everywhere down here in Tejas. Or you might try a wanted ad on the classifieds at www.aomci.org
Ask for a cable steering drum/hub.