Keelguard Repair

DTL504

Seaman Apprentice
I took off the old white keelguard and bought a new one to match the boat. Upon removing the old I notice that fiber glass was chiped on the bow underneath the keelguard. Now I am looking for the best product to fix this chip/damage before I put the new keelguard on the boat.

DSC01968.jpg

DSC01967.jpg

Re: Keelguard Repair

i am using products from WEST MARINE they have great stuff and on their website even have tutorials and videos on using their products. they have great stuff.

redfury

Commander

Marine tex will take care of that if you are putting another keel guard on it. Otherwise, a layer of fiberglass mat or 3 will do it also. Just depends on how bad it really is. The marine tex is basically a putty. Jscersa used it extensively all over his boat and had great success with it.

DTL504

Seaman Apprentice

I will be putting another Keelguard on it. I have purchase White Marine Tex Epoxy Putty Kit

White - 14 ounce

Marine-Tex, the legendary high-strength repair compound designed for filling, bonding and rebuilding wood, fiberglass, ceramic, glass, metal, masonry and many plastics. Marine-Tex is manufactured to the highest standards to meet the harsh demands of the marine and industrial environments, and solve many problems for home, auto and hobby applications.

? Handles like putty

? Hardens like steel

? Sands like wood

Marine-Tex is a creamy paste consistency that can be applied on vertical or horizontal surfaces, easily fills gaps, and can be shaped to rebuild damaged components. Marine-Tex paste provides waterproof repairs that can be used with fiberglass tape or cloth to bridge holes and reinforce structural repairs as needed. Emergency and permanent repairs to machinery and equipment, hulls, decks, stripped fasteners, piping and tanks are all easily accomplished with the mighty repair kit. Marine-Tex can be sanded or ground to shape, tapped and drilled, and finished with most common paints and coatings.