1967 Starcraft Fiberglass, fix?

KaiBlaed

Cadet
I have a 67 starcraft, and please if anyone knows, did any of these come originally fiberglass? I havent seen any others that have been fiberglass. Anyways there was originally another motor on it that bolted to the transom and while doing some work on the top of the transom I noticed a drop of water come out of one of those holes that looked very well sealed. The transom is still very solid, holds the weight of the motor plus another 100lbs of my weight with no problem. Is there a quick easy way to dry the water up and reseal it? or maybe drill a hole at the very bottom of the transom to make it is drained completely and seal them? I don't have the money to start tearing this boat apart.

Attachments

• myboat2.jpg
    myboat2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 0

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: 1967 Starcraft Fiberglass, fix?

Kai welcome to iboats and with that picture the Starcraft club :D. The unfortunate answer on the water is if the trnsom is wet theres only one way to make it dry replace it . You could drill some exploratory holes into the bottom of the transom from inside ( not all the way through ) if the wood comes out like dry sawdust just use some 3M 4200 or 5200 to seal up the outer holes and some resin to seal up the holes you drilled inside . However if you get wet wood out of the bottom then you are ready to redo the trnsom. There were and still are Fiberglass Starcrafts although there are alot more Aluminum ones here :D.

Rick

KaiBlaed

Cadet

Wellll, guess I'll just repair it the best I can and run it til it sinks. Only have about $500 in this boat with the motor. Definitely don't have the money to repair her and only a short bit of summer left. Thanks for the info, I'll definately check the bottom from the inside.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kai what part of the world are you in :D. You can go into the User cp in the top left of the screen and go in and edit your profile to include your location in the upper right of your posts like it does in mine.

Rick

KaiBlaed

Cadet

Nashville, TN. Between Percy Priest Lake and Old Hickory Lake

jocholik

Cadet

My 67 starcraft is fiberglass.....

Attachments

• DSCF0068 [640x480].JPG
    DSCF0068 [640x480].JPG