• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Reparing a gouge in fiberglass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reparing a gouge in fiberglass

Hi all,

I have a 2008 Four Winns H220 with a scratch (gouge) in the hull. The gouge is about 18 inches long, 1/4" wide at the worst, and about 1/8" - 3/16" deep (maybe a little more). It is definitely into the gray fiberglass under the gel coat. It is located about 12" above the water line on the side of the hull.

I would like some advice on how to properly repair this. My thinking is this:

Use 80-100 grit paper with my DA sander to sand down to the bottom of the scratch and feather it out to maybe 2-3" wide.

Apply the appropriate fiberglass in layers working from the middle (deepest) out to the edges.

Once the fiberglass cures I can block sand the entire area down (including the adjacent gell coat) and reapply new gel coat.

Does this sound about right. I do have some questions though:

Where do I get the appropriate fiberglass and resin? What brand and part number?

Do I build the new fiberglass all the way up to the level of the existing gel coat or do I leave it a little shallow and allow the new gel coat to be about 1/16 - 1/8" thick?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Re: Reparing a gouge in fiberglass

Welcome to iboats

First sorry to hear about your damage BUT it is a fairly new boat so matching the gel coat is probably going to be on the money.

You have the steps laid out just fine and I would visit the dealer for a matching gel coat.
    This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
    Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

heres some step by step repairs of different types of damage w/ links to pics.

http://forums.iboats.com/search.php?searchid=4493049
      sigpic
      See FAQ Files.
      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

Get the genuine factory service manual.
      www.outboardbooks.com
      www.*****************

Comment

Link malfunction

Comment

you only need to repair the fiberglass if the glass has been scarred....

if you do it the way you suggest you will have a "bump" in that spot.

if the glass is damaged and needs repair.....make the repair area a little larger.

any fiberglass repair kit from the local hard ware store will do....(these are usaually "waxed" products).....after the final layer of glass.....you will need to sand off the waxy surface of the resin before you add the gellcoat.

as far as the gellcoat repair......follow manufacturers directions to the letter as far as mixing and adding the mekp.

then just paint it on and sand it flat.starting from 220 grit and going to 1600...then buff it out.

cheers
          oops
          The Hull Extension Thread
          great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
          November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Hello Dexter.....

um..no .. no no no...

you say only like 1/8-3/16 deep...your not into the fiberglass..you dont need fiberglass..the 4W horizon has thick gel..and has an undercoat ( print preventitive coating ) that your seeing..im almost certain..

Call your local 4w dealer .. the gel is cheap.. get it..its called " aztec surf white "

just ..... erm.. well.. trade secret..............

No really..just tape your repair and brush it in.. ( most times ill just dish it out and spray it with a preval ( yea..its just knowing what to do at this point how..what..etc. ) sprayer and block sand and buff..) you only need to sand to 1200 .. buff .. .

Your repair is EZ..do not use glass and make it larger than needed m8.......

YD.
            Iboats Helper

Comment

Working...
            X