what exactly is interlux 216 thinner?

sbsho

Cadet
im getting ready to primer my fiberglass boat, and i purchased interlux prekote and didnt think about thinning it at the time. im looking to spray it on, but i dont have the 216 thinner. what exactly is this thinner? is it acrylic lacquer thinner? or what. if so can i use automotive acrylic lacquer thinner? thanks -ryan

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: what exactly is interlux 216 thinner?

From their website:Interlux 216 Special Thinner is a fast evaporating solvent which when added to specified paint coatings improves drying in cold climates, and facilitates spray application. 216 Thinner is also recommended for removing sanding residue from hull bottoms, wiping down bare aluminum clean, and for the general clean-up of paint equipment.

I believe it boils down to it be a spray reducing thinner rather than a brushing thinner. Faster flash off, etc.

sbsho

Cadet
Re: what exactly is interlux 216 thinner?

yeah i read that, and know what its used for. well i just used acrylic lacquer thinner for spraying. i used a nice little gravity feed spray gun and it sprayed real nice and looks good. i used almost a half gallon when rolling on the first coat and i only used like 2 guns worth for the second, and a 1/10th fraction of the time. well i will see how it looks tomorrow. it was 90 degrees out with 50% humidity.