TUTORIAL: Fiberglass mat too thick? Thin it out!

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
I bought a giant roll of what I think is 2oz mat off ebay (it was an ad for 1.5oz, but it is really thick, but I digress..) and I have been dreading using it on my upcoming deck replacement, as it will soak up gallons and gallons of resin. Not needing my deck to double as a bomb shelter, I began fiddling with the mat and noticed something.. it is layered!

IMG_0012-2.JPG

Thick (1.5oz?) fiberglass mat

If you take the edge of the mat and fiddle with the glass, pulling them apart, you will notice it is made up of layers of what I can only assume is .5oz mat.

IMG_0013-1.JPG

Peel a layer of glass mat from the thicker portion of mat

It seems the manufacturer(s), in order to combine processes, simply layer the mat for heavier ratings. I was amazed at how easy it was to part the mat into two layers, one a bit heavier than the other (3 layers thick for 1.5oz?).

IMG_0014-1.JPG

You now have a .5oz portion of mat you can use for stiffening up something or protecting it

I have used the thin layer for small reinforcements, while using the thicker portion for actual structural glassing.

IMG_0015-1.JPG

..and a thicker 1.0oz layer for projects not requiring the full 1.5oz mat, but needing more rigid protection and structure.

The result is using the proper glass for each application and not wasting tons of resin for what simply needs a little but of stiffness.

IMG_0016-1.JPG

You have officially doubled your fiberglass supply, while adding even more glassing applications. Buy one weight, have access to all three.

Happy glassing!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: TUTORIAL: Fiberglass mat too thick? Thin it out!

Hey Lowkee!

Thanks so much for posting that info! Next time I need mat, I'll check the different weights to see if it can be separated like your's did.

Thanks for taking the time to share that. It will save me some resin for sure!