1974 21ft. Starcraft Super Sport Rebuild

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, here it goes. Rick said that the only way I could actually join the club was to start a post and put up pictures. This is the first time I have attempted to redo a boat and this site has been a major help to me so far and I know it will continue to be that as I tear this thing apart and rebuild it. It isn't pretty but it came with a 140hp Evinrude that runs fine and a galvanized trailer, all for $500. My wife is still shaking her head. The purpose was for my kids to help in the rebuild, especially the tear out. The most excited of the bunch is my 8 yr old son who initially wanted to tear the floor out with an axe, is that excitement or what? His excitement got the best of him and he did manage to partially re-orient the passenger console/windshield before I was able to say NO! The good thing is you put a screw driver in his hands and he takes apart anything, and everything, that is near him. My 12 yr old daughter is the other part of the crew. Although she spends most of her time deciding which friends will get to go for boat rides, she is the real muscle in the tear out. My wife actually took off the first bolt so we are up and running. The goal is to be in the water by late September, we shall see. Currently we have put about 5 hours into it and have it gutted down to the deck. The gas tank is out, which was a fiasco, but the goal now is to lift the motor onto the engine stand, tear out the transom, remove the deck, and get it to the welder. I look forward to all of the advice and encouragement I can get........So where do I pay my dues?

Here is how it looked when I got it.
DSC03582.jpg

DSC03584.jpg

DSC03583.jpg

After 3 1/2 hours of tear out!
DSC03589.jpg

DSC03590.jpg

So far, except for the top rails, gunnels, there is no visible corrosion. What I have looked at under the deck is fine as well. My fingers are crossed.

This evening my son earned his keep. He was the socket wrench man as we removed all of the rub rail bolts. An interesting thing I noticed when we removed the rub rail, almost all of the rivets that attach the top to the sides of the boat were sheared off. It was off the the hardware store for a rivet tool after that. I decided to replace all of those rivets on both sides. Has anyone had to do this before and if so, do you recommend putting 5200 between the top and sides where they meet before riveting, or is that overkill. I do have a habit of over-engineering. We got finished with all of this and my son said, man, I hope we don't have to do that again....let's go get a slurpee. I hope to post more pics soon.

Keith

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: 1974 21ft. Starcraft Super Sport Rebuild

Keith welcome to the club :D. Remember I am the only one who has to pay dues and Kev has me paid up for the first 2 years :D. That looks like a great project and I am still looking for a decent one local to me in the 19-22' range.

Rick

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So you think Kev will pay me up for a year or two as well? I tell you, I have only put a little time into it at this point, but it has been great. I think I truly have the fever.....my wife just rolls her eyes:rolleyes:. Thanks for the encouragement.

Keith

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Keith I have so far managed to strip my boat to the bare hull prime and paint one side and tonight I managed to Zinc prime the other side with any luck I may get primer on her tomorrow . I would bet kev will take care of your dues between his gig with the CIA and the whole light bulb thing he's swimming in it LOL.

Rick

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Good luck with the restoration and the September deadline. It should be fun having the whole family envolved.

I know what you mean with the wife rolling the eyes.

I would use a 100% silicone caulk instead of 5200. You will play havoc if you have to remove the top for any major repairs like transom replacement. For what it's worth, I heard that PL Premium is a good (and cheaper) substitute for 5200 and is available at stores like Home Depot.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Red one of the Joys of being a member of the Starcraft ( Tinny ) club is knowing you will never have to remove the cap to replace the transom :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

LOL Keith I have so far managed to strip my boat to the bare hull prime and paint one side and tonight I managed to Zinc prime the other side with any luck I may get primer on her tomorrow . I would bet kev will take care of your dues between his gig with the CIA and the whole light bulb thing he's swimming in it LOL.

Rick

Keith..I'll cover you..Very happy that it's a family project, Thats the American way, boating builds families (ok, it can tear some apart too..)

Now Rick..do I look like a CIA guy??? Oh...I may be in Cuba in a few months for work..btw

Attachments

• CIA.jpg
    CIA.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 0

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kev do enough peaple in Cuba actually have electricity to actually need light Bulbs ;):D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

lol..yep..In fact here is one of the hotels in Havana, The Plaza Hotel.;)

Attachments

• plaza hotel cuba.jpg
    plaza hotel cuba.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A 21' SuperSport with a running 140 Evinrude and a galvanized trailer???? Way to go and buy my dream boat. And then you gotta say you got it for only $500? I don't know if I can stay in this thread....

:)

Andy in NY

Commander

Keith..I'll cover you..Very happy that it's a family project, Thats the American way, boating builds families (ok, it can tear some apart too..)

Now Rick..do I look like a CIA guy??? Oh...I may be in Cuba in a few months for work..btw

i thought americans couldnt go to cuba??

A 21' SuperSport with a running 140 Evinrude and a galvanized trailer???? Way to go and buy my dream boat. And then you gotta say you got it for only $500? I don't know if I can stay in this thread....

:)

my thoughts exactly.

keith, looks good. i have to say, my project is a 16' starcraft jupiter,, and it has been sooooo easy so far! im on track for a 1 month resto, start to finish (includes new foam, deck, transom, paint and repower). if you have the time, you should be on the water for late september. are you going to paint too? the existing paint looks to be in good shape...

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ezmobee, I may need you to talk to my wife at some point. She is not completely sure what a deal it was. I did have to agree to no more neighborhood BBQs (I am the local pig and rib cooker) and to no more volunteer work and to finish her list of jobs in the house before starting on the boat. I agreed and the last of the list was finished a few days ago so it is all down hill from here.

Andy, the process is the get the boat to the welder within a week so that he can fix a small hole while I am at Hatteras on vacation. Once I get the boat back, I will put in the new transom, then flip, sand and paint. Once that paint is done it will be deck and up. I am thinking about using the Interlux Brightside (I think that is what it is called) on top of Interlux primer and ZC primer. The boat will be trailered so I thought I would be OK with a one part poly. It is possible I might be in the water sooner, but I wanted to give myself a reasonable window. It sounds like you are going to be a little ahead of me though.

Keith

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Kev, by the way. I am down to my last two Montecristo #2's. If you are going to be in country??????:D

Keith

Andy in NY

Commander

Ezmobee, I may need you to talk to my wife at some point. She is not completely sure what a deal it was. I did have to agree to no more neighborhood BBQs (I am the local pig and rib cooker) and to no more volunteer work and to finish her list of jobs in the house before starting on the boat. I agreed and the last of the list was finished a few days ago so it is all down hill from here.

Andy, the process is the get the boat to the welder within a week so that he can fix a small hole while I am at Hatteras on vacation. Once I get the boat back, I will put in the new transom, then flip, sand and paint. Once that paint is done it will be deck and up. I am thinking about using the Interlux Brightside (I think that is what it is called) on top of Interlux primer and ZC primer. The boat will be trailered so I thought I would be OK with a one part poly. It is possible I might be in the water sooner, but I wanted to give myself a reasonable window. It sounds like you are going to be a little ahead of me though.

Keith

I used interlux brightside... although it is 10 + years old... shook it good and it came out good.

I think it came out so good even though its high quality paint applied in a low quality manner... i rolled it on, and rolled lightly over it to break up the fish eyes. but i got a very orange peel texture to it, hopefully wetsanding with 2000 grit will help it out.

how do you plan to apply the paint on yours?

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Andy, I think I am going to roll and tip. The kids are the most excited about painting and I just don't think kids, dogs, and spraying will go over very well. Either all of us will end up the color of the boat or that many Tyvek suits will make the neighbors think that there has been a biohazard incident. I am going to do the opposite with color than I have seen a lot of guys do on the forum. The top 1/3 of the side will be blue and the bottom will be white. I need to ask Kev, if he is reading, what the blue color is that I see on his picture under his username. My kids get the final say on color though. I did rule out pink, purlpe, dots, etc. My son did have the idea to make the front of the boat look like the mouth of Jaws though. With the paint scheme I assume that I would do the ZC, 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of white all over and then tape and paint the blue on the top section. Does that make sense? I seem to remember reading in some post that there may be a preferred way to have either the top or bottom section overlapping the other.

Regarding Cuba, I have a good friend that has gone down several times. He has toured several of the cigar factories and consistently brings back several boxes of goodies. I keep waiting for the day when he causes and international incident.

Keith

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

That color would be Rustoleum "Gloss Royal Blue"
I messed up when I painted my doghouse..I bought a can of "Gloss Sailboat blue" lol...big dummy...

9.99 a quart!
Heres a bigger pic of the color

Portpaint5_25.jpg

Andy in NY

Commander

design like this?:
1247421261.jpg

i gotta be honest with you, i did NOT prime... just spot primed bare al with zc... then 2 coats of each.

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great minds must think alike.:D It is either that or down to the next line. I also was considering not carrying the color onto the keel like you have in the picture. Nice job.

Kev, the Rustoleum, was that their marine line or just regular in the silver can? How has it held up?

Keith

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Great minds must think alike.:D It is either that or down to the next line. I also was considering not carrying the color onto the keel like you have in the picture. Nice job.

Kev, the Rustoleum, was that their marine line or just regular in the silver can? How has it held up?
Keith

Keith
Its the plain old regular trusty rusty..I read up and I came to the conclusion that if she's not sitting in the water, I wouldnt need the marine product.
I am embarresed to say that I have yet to splash her..BUT..It is monsoon season and it has been rained on constantly every day for a month and a half and still looks like the day I put it on...Of course my first day on the water I will probably grind her against the dock!:eek: