1974 21ft. Starcraft Super Sport Rebuild

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1974 21ft. Starcraft Super Sport Rebuild

Well, from what I can tell from the picture, the paint job looks great. Get her in the water soon.

Keith

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, yesterday I was getting a little depressed:( reading everybody elses threads and seeing everyone getting closer to water than me. So I picked up rivets and began re-attaching the gunwales to the sides. There are a ton of these little holes to fill. The question I have is about rivets. Does anyone know if the closed end rivets are any stronger than the standard pop rivets? It looks like there was a combination of both that previsouly attached the sides and gunwales so I would like to go back with whichever is the strongest. I also picked up my gas tank from the radiator shop. They steamed it out like they do radiators and leak tested it. I now need to figure out the fittings. It may need to have one of the openings welded and another put in to adapt to a new line to the motor and sending unit for a gauge. I am thinking the best hookup for the fill line is the vented model that is vented near the fill cap. I will get a picture up this evening and see if anyone has any suggestions. I think I will still use the tank even though it is heavy. I keep hearing talk about the higher levels of ethanol beginning to eat through plastic and fiberglass tanks so the stainless would be more durable if that is the case. Kev, I was looking at your whole thread last night and man that boat is looking good.

Keith

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

WOW! Nice find Floyd and nice price. Wish mine would've been closer to that. Also looking at your pics I see where you thought mine was the same. It looks just like that. Mine was already a bit started by PO so when I got it the missing parts I have no idea about. Like those little shelf pieces on yours running from front to rear under the gunwales those were non existent in mine. Any way very nice deal and look froward to following your progress. Oh the PO also messed with the motor a bit on mine took one of the carbs off and took a bunch of wires loose from the motor, so the power for mine is in question.

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hopefully, it is just wires and a carb. These old engines are hard to kill with just good basic service. I saw that yours did not have the shelves and have even considered taking mine out and leaving the area open for rod holders. I am not sure how that will affect stability. It looks like yours has an additional support nearer the deck. I am still just tryin to get a few things done to get to the welder about my hole in the hull before I head to Hatteras. How is the foot/ankle? After reading about your injury, I stopped wearing my sandles in the boat while doing tear out.

Keith

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

It looks like yours has an additional support nearer the deck.

Keith
Not sure where or what part you talking about yea mine was just open on sides it had the rod holders you can see them on one of the pics. As for the motor yea I am no outboard mech so I hate looking in a seeing wires taken loose then trying to figure out where which one went where. The foot is killing me still can't be up on it for more than about 5 mins then the throbbing starts in and sharp pains. I am supposed to get one of those ankle boot brace thingy's and wear it the doc said to just get one of those and he wouldn't put a cast. Thanks for asking.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Floyd congrats on that purchase. I concur that you did in fact get the deal of the century on your rig:D

Just have your wife read this thread a little bit and she should be convinced as well. I like your idea for the paint scheme, jaws would also look great on the water but would it scare the fish away?

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is exactly what I told my son. He just laughed :Dand said "Dad, they won't even see us coming". Thanks for the support. I think I am getting my wife out there tonight to learn how to replace rivets.

Keith

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your welcome. Just make sure you do what they say. We can't have any significant delays in seeing your pics or else we all will go into withdrawal.

Keith

Andy in NY

Commander

Your welcome. Just make sure you do what they say. We can't have any significant delays in seeing your pics or else we all will go into withdrawal.

Keith

theres not enough pics being posted as it is, IMO. ALL the starcraft owners need to post more, including me!

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Allright Andy, here are some pics. After a few days not being able to do any work on the boat, I took that kids and wife to the lake for a day on a pontoon and at the end of the day my loving wife said, "You need to get that boat done". Man I love that woman.

The scary moment was when I took of the rub rails on the top, the basically sprand apart. Most of the rivets that attached the side of the boat to the gunwales were broken. I didn't really think it was a big deal until today when a friend and I started replacing the rivets. We could only get a few to line up. We pushed and pulled and just couldn't figure out what was wrong. We decided to go ahead and remove the motor, thinking that maybe the pressure it exerted on the transom was pulling on the boat sides and gunwales and making them not line up. Nope, that wasn't it. Then we thought we had it when we thought the straps holding the boat on the trailer were possibly pulling too much on the transom and keeping everything from lining up. Nope again. At this point I was considering that maybe the busted rivets were going to do me in. Eventually we decided to squeeze the hull in multiple places with ratchets to create a compression mold of sorts and voila! Things started to line up. After another hour or so all of the rivets were now in. Here is a pick of part of the process.
DSC03598.jpg

DSC03599.jpg

In the previous picture you can also see that we needed to use the engine hoist to lift on the gunwale as well to get everything lined up. If you enyone ever has this type of problem here is a recommendation. As you get holes lined up don't seat the rivets right away. Place steel rivets in the holes the same size as the aluminum ones that you will use. As the straps are moved to compress different parts of the boat the steel rivets will not sheer off like the aluminum ones. Once all rivet holes are lined up then remove one steel rivet at a time and seat a aluminum rivet. It is the only way we could get all the rivets in without continuing to either pop or sheer the rivets off. It was quite a pain in the butt, but if I had not removed the rub rails I would never have known the condition of the rivets underneath. Once it was all done the gunwales were very stable and firm, unlike how they seemed to me before I had fixed them. Now I know why.

The next step was to begin tearing out the deck. What I learned right away made me think of Rick. The PO had apparently replaced the deck and put in wooden stringers along the sides and had actually nailed the deck to them. Luckily, no nails went through the hull though some were close. Here are a couple pics of the wood.

DSC03603.jpg

DSC03604.jpg

And as you see in the last pic someone actually used the "great stuff" in the bow under the deck for foam. I was very pleased to find what appeared to be original foam in the rest of the boat. Here is the deck removed.

DSC03602.jpg

DSC03601.jpg

After that it was remove the foam and sweep and hose down the hull. I was amazed that when I removed the foam I only found three pieces that had any water in them at all and it had only saturated them about 1/4 of their mass. To say I was pleased is an understatement. I was concerned because for the last few years this boat lived in Fla and I was concerned I would have saturated foam and a bunch of corrosion. Once everything was removed I found no corrosion. It appeared that there had clearly been some sort of waterproofer put on years ago. In the pics it looks red/brown. It is darker than the waterproofer that was put on at the factory that is clearly visible on the sides. Does anyone know if this is original. I could not tell if the foam had ever been out before. Look at the dark color on the hull to see what I mean.

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got cut off, too many pics. Here are the pics of the mysterious waterproofer.

DSC03609.jpg

DSC03608.jpg

The great news is that I believe that it has saved the hull. I could not find any evidence of corrosion and I have partially filled the hull and lifted and raised the boat and see no leaks except the two holes that are to be welded soon. Interesting enough, the holes appear to be under a reinforcing plate under the transom brace.

DSC03610.jpg

My plan now is to just get a patch welded from the outside and heavily gluvit on the inside around the reinforcing plate. The bigger question is what do I do about the red stuff. It has started to peel off in places and actually appears to block water flow under the cross braces on the hull floor. Has anyone ever dealt with this and what do you reccomend to remove, clean it with? BTW, the little flap in front of the transom brace is where the bilge was attached. I an going back with two pumps, anyone done this and if so where was the placement?

I also recently picked up my fuel tank. I had it steam cleaned by a local radiator shop. I now have to figure out how to attach a new sending unit/fuel supply line. I plan on having an external gauge on the console. Here are the existing holes.
DSC03611.jpg

DSC03612.jpg

DSC03613.jpg

I now the tank looks funny, it is sitting up on end. The threaded hole I can use either as the fill line hole or I can use it for the fuel line and have another threaded hole put in hear where the rectangular hole is. I have not seen a sending unit that will fit the rect. hole. Any suggestions.

I am about 12 hours in and the boat is off this week to the welders. After vacation I plan on beginning the construction.

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, I just looked at my post. That stuff sure does look like blood. Bob, I am going to have to rethink that whole bullet hole in the boat idea.:eek:

Keith

Rickairmedic

Commander

Keith the waterproofer ( in the seams ) on my Jupiter is a redish brown color although I didnt have it inside like you seem to . I will say if you plan to flip and paint the hull the time is now they are much lighter without the deck and foam :D. Looks like you are having fun LOL. I am happy to see you wont be riveting the bottom of the hull due to extra wood :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Wow, I just looked at my post. That stuff sure does look like blood. Bob, I am going to have to rethink that whole bullet hole in the boat idea.:eek:

Keith

Ya know..sometimes deez tings jus happen...3 guys go out, sumtimes 2 come back..it's just a ting, iz's da way it iz..capice!??:eek:

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Rick. Yes I will be flipping and painting as soon as the boat is back from the welder. My neighbor owns a tire center and has supplied me with twleve huge tires to flip the boat onto. It will be just the right height and easy to work with. Did you have to remove any of the waterproofer? Yes I am having a lot of fun and even told my wife that when I was done with this boat I was going to look for another SS or a Mariner and build a CC striclty for the bay and hatteras.:eek: As my wife says, "You're hooked".:D Post some pics of your paint progress.

Keith

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ya know..sometimes deez tings jus happen...3 guys go out, sumtimes 2 come back..it's just a ting, iz's da way it iz..capice!??:eek:

And it usually happens off in the ocean somewhere, like......between Fla. and Cuba....Hmmmm?;)

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL I see Kev finally got off the plane and found his hotel room :D. Keith current up to date paint progress is in my thread just follow the link in my signature :D. I didnt get anything done today other than laying out the paint and stripe line for the bottom of the hull ( I was busy plant and fish shopping ) and running electric and hanging drywall for my youngest daughters new room. I was tempted a few minutes ago to go out with the orbital sander and attack the bottom of the hull but I figured the resonating aluminum might bother a neighbor or 2 :D:D.

Rick

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My neighbors on both sides have learned to put up blackout shades and wear earplugs at night. :D They are scared to complain because they always need to borrow tools, smoker, grill, etc. You would think I was the local LOWES. I will check out you recent stuff. I have been offline for a couple days and am only now checking in on everything.

Keith

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

And it usually happens off in the ocean somewhere, like......between Fla. and Cuba....Hmmmm?;)

I gots no ideer to what yous are referrin to..but maybe ya onto sumthin there....Why dontcha come on down and take a little how dues you say..excursion?

lol..
seriously, she's gonna be a killer boat!
lmao!

Ya Rick..Sat on the tarmac an extra hour..Almost punched out a girlyman flight attendant....It's been a long freekin day.

Rickairmedic

Commander

ROFLMAO Kev I noticed you were in Rare form tonight :D:D.

Keith The only sealer I removed on mine I did with a sharp razor knife on the outside of the hull around the bow before I painted .

Rick