• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

1966 Johnson Deluxe 17' Re-Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 Johnson Deluxe 17' Re-Build

Hello, here is my latest project. I am going to restore this classic and try an have it finished before the winter months hit and or have it lake ready for 2010.

Ok, after doing some research I think my boat is an OMC Deluxe 17' made by Johnson. I am going to look closer at the metal tags tonight. I do know I am missing at least one seat. I am also missing the fiberglas engine covers and back top covers to the boat. Also at some point another consule was installed for I can't seem to find any picks of what mine looks loke on the net.

Yesterday, I literally CUT off my stern drive. I still can't get the gimbal or back plate to seperate from the transom. I thing my boat had a circular cover on the transom when built new. Anyway, still trying to decide how to tackle getting that out. I have started sawing the hull apart so I can take the top off but I will keep at it.
    Attached Files

Re: 1966 Johnson Deluxe 17' Re-Build

Well, got my Gimbal and motor plate off the transom. I have totally gutted the interior floor and stripped out most of the foam. Turns out my stringers were made of foam not wood?? Who would have thought? Anyway, I have tore off the replacement dash fiberglass and seperated the top hull from the bottom hull. My plan this evening is to remover the bottom hull off the trailer so I can begin work on getting that back in shape. I will post pictures of the current condition later tonight. I am also in the process of cutting out my transom to build back a new one. Later, M

Comment

Re: 1966 Johnson Deluxe 17' Re-Build

Originally posted by Arkitorture View Post
      Well, got my Gimbal and motor plate off the transom. I have totally gutted the interior floor and stripped out most of the foam. Turns out my stringers were made of foam not wood?? Who would have thought? Anyway, I have tore off the replacement dash fiberglass and seperated the top hull from the bottom hull. My plan this evening is to remover the bottom hull off the trailer so I can begin work on getting that back in shape. I will post pictures of the current condition later tonight. I am also in the process of cutting out my transom to build back a new one. Later, M
      This thread is useless without more pictures.
      1970 Starcraft Jupiter closed bow to open bow modification
      1970 Starcraft Jupiter V 16' restore
      Starcraft pic thread
      It's not "Just an old Starcraft". It's a vintage piece of American Marine History

Comment

Working...
      X